Problems with 865gbf

tachoknight@gmail.com

Hi all-

Recently my home-built machine with a 865gbf mb from Intel with a
2.4ghz P4 (no HT) stopped booting. It doesn't seem to do
*anything*....no beeps, no video, nothing. The hd spins up, the dvd
drive gets touched (light comes on for a sec) and the IR bottom of the
mouse lights up, but nothing after that.

I re-seated the agp video card and that allowed it to boot up once
(once!) but after that, I turned it off and then it wouldn't start
again. I just finished tearing the machine apart, completely removing
the mb and all the parts, dusting them, checking for cracked
capacitors, etc., then gently reseat everything. Still no joy.

The powersupply is relatively new-ish and supports P4 boards. All parts
are name brand and there was never any overclocking.

Any ideas what to check next, or does it sound fried? This was a
replacement board for a gigabyte mb that did fry...a capacitor popped
and detached. Seems weird it'd happen again, but who knows.

Thanks,

Tacho

Puddin' Man

Have you tried the "Minimalist Stroll"?

Remove everything except cpu, 1 stick of mem and video.
If no beeps, switch mem sticks. If no beeps, pull the video.
Etc, etc.

I think the beeps are doc'd here:

ftp://download.intel.com/design/moth...f/C3263401.pdf

under ~POST/Beeps or somesuch. It wouldn't download
for me.

Luck,
Puddin'

On 16 Sep 2006 21:29:56 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi all-
>
>Recently my home-built machine with a 865gbf mb from Intel with a
>2.4ghz P4 (no HT) stopped booting. It doesn't seem to do
>*anything*....no beeps, no video, nothing. The hd spins up, the dvd
>drive gets touched (light comes on for a sec) and the IR bottom of the
>mouse lights up, but nothing after that.
>
>I re-seated the agp video card and that allowed it to boot up once
>(once!) but after that, I turned it off and then it wouldn't start
>again. I just finished tearing the machine apart, completely removing
>the mb and all the parts, dusting them, checking for cracked
>capacitors, etc., then gently reseat everything. Still no joy.
>
>The powersupply is relatively new-ish and supports P4 boards. All parts
>are name brand and there was never any overclocking.
>
>Any ideas what to check next, or does it sound fried? This was a
>replacement board for a gigabyte mb that did fry...a capacitor popped
>and detached. Seems weird it'd happen again, but who knows.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Tacho

Pease pudding hot,
Pease pudding cold,
Pease pudding in the pot
Nine days old.

Bob Bailin

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi all-
>
> Recently my home-built machine with a 865gbf mb from Intel with a
> 2.4ghz P4 (no HT) stopped booting. It doesn't seem to do
> *anything*....no beeps, no video, nothing. The hd spins up, the dvd
> drive gets touched (light comes on for a sec) and the IR bottom of the
> mouse lights up, but nothing after that.
>
> I re-seated the agp video card and that allowed it to boot up once
> (once!) but after that, I turned it off and then it wouldn't start
> again. I just finished tearing the machine apart, completely removing
> the mb and all the parts, dusting them, checking for cracked
> capacitors, etc., then gently reseat everything. Still no joy.
>
> The powersupply is relatively new-ish and supports P4 boards. All parts
> are name brand and there was never any overclocking.
>
> Any ideas what to check next, or does it sound fried? This was a
> replacement board for a gigabyte mb that did fry...a capacitor popped
> and detached. Seems weird it'd happen again, but who knows.

Try swapping in a known good power supply. Just had one fail on me
last week that wasn't all that old, and it didn't completely fail, just enough
to keep the mb from booting.

The alternative "minimalist stroll" is to remove everything from the mb
except the cpu. The speaker should start beeping at power up due
to lack of minimum required memory. No beeps means a defective
mb or cpu (or a defective speaker).

Bob

DaveW

The standard way to find the culprit for a home user, with your particular
problem, is to first try replacing the PSU and see if that fixes it. That's
the easiest step to try. If that doesn't fix it, then odds point to another
failed motherboard.

--
DaveW

----------------
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Hi all-
>
> Recently my home-built machine with a 865gbf mb from Intel with a
> 2.4ghz P4 (no HT) stopped booting. It doesn't seem to do
> *anything*....no beeps, no video, nothing. The hd spins up, the dvd
> drive gets touched (light comes on for a sec) and the IR bottom of the
> mouse lights up, but nothing after that.
>
> I re-seated the agp video card and that allowed it to boot up once
> (once!) but after that, I turned it off and then it wouldn't start
> again. I just finished tearing the machine apart, completely removing
> the mb and all the parts, dusting them, checking for cracked
> capacitors, etc., then gently reseat everything. Still no joy.
>
> The powersupply is relatively new-ish and supports P4 boards. All parts
> are name brand and there was never any overclocking.
>
> Any ideas what to check next, or does it sound fried? This was a
> replacement board for a gigabyte mb that did fry...a capacitor popped
> and detached. Seems weird it'd happen again, but who knows.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tacho

Stephan Rose

>Try swapping in a known good power supply. Just had one fail on me
>last week that wasn't all that old, and it didn't completely fail, just enough
>to keep the mb from booting.

Lucky....

Mine failed so bad, circuit breaker shuts off just hooking it up =)