Problems With AGP BFG 6600

Bill Bradshaw

I have an older computer that is still usable but I am having problems with
the video card (drivers?).

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Computer:
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
Professional
OS Service Pack Service Pack 3
Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11
DirectX 4.09.00.0904
(DirectX 9.0c)

Motherboard:
CPU Type Intel Pentium IIIE, 800
MHz (6 x 133)
Motherboard Name Tyan S1854(-A) Trinity 400 (6
PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
Motherboard Chipset VIA VT82C694X Apollo Pro133A
System Memory 512 MB (SDRAM)
Award BIOS Type Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
Award BIOS Message TYAN S1854 Trinity 400 Rev. 1.07

Display:
Video Adapter BFG nVIDIA GeForce 6600 AGP
3D Accelerator BFG nVIDIA GeForce 6600 AGP

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Ensoniq Tazer Sound Card

Graphics Processor Properties:
Video Adapter nVIDIA GeForce 6600 AGP
GPU Code Name NV43AGP
PCI Device 10DE / 00F2
Transistors 143 million
Process Technology 0.11u
Die Size 150 mm2
Bus Type AGP 4x
Memory Size 256 MB
GPU Clock 324 MHz
RAMDAC Clock 400 MHz
Pixel Pipelines 8
TMU Per Pipeline 1
Vertex Shaders 3 (v3.0)
Pixel Shaders 1 (v3.0)
DirectX Hardware Support DirectX v9.0c
Pixel Fillrate 2592 MPixel/s
Texel Fillrate 2592 MTexel/s

Memory Bus Properties:
Bus Type DDR
Bus Width 128-bit
Real Clock 201 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 402 MHz
Bandwidth 6432 MB/s

I started having BSODs which I finally traced to the video. I uninstalled
the 82.12 drivers from safe mode and then restarted and in safe mode and ran
detonator. I then reinstalled the 82.12 drivers but was unable to get them
to load (code 10). I then retraced my steps using the CD that came with the
card and has version 7.7.7.6 on it. Again the system hardware reports a
code 10. The card does work in VGA mode. I am still using it in the
computer but I need the nVidia drivers so I can use the second monitor.

I have spent hours on the computer and Google trying to find an answer. As
you can imagine I am going out of my mind. I would appreciate any help I
can get.
--
<Bill>

Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska.

PhxGrunge

"Bill Bradshaw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an older computer that is still usable but I am having problems with
>the video card (drivers?).
> I started having BSODs which I finally traced to the video. I uninstalled
> the 82.12 drivers from safe mode and then restarted and in safe mode and
> ran detonator. I then reinstalled the 82.12 drivers but was unable to get
> them to load (code 10). I then retraced my steps using the CD that came
> with the card and has version 7.7.7.6 on it. Again the system hardware
> reports a code 10. The card does work in VGA mode. I am still using it
> in the computer but I need the nVidia drivers so I can use the second
> monitor.
>
> I have spent hours on the computer and Google trying to find an answer.
> As you can imagine I am going out of my mind. I would appreciate any help
> I can get.
> --
> <Bill>
>
> Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska.

You did not say whether you have updated the 4-in-1 drivers for the Via
chipset.

Bob Knowlden

At a guess, the Via chipset drivers are corrupted. I believe that these
would include AGP controller drivers.

I don't know whether installing a newer version of the drivers would help
(www.viaarena.com), but it may be worth a try.

I hesitate to suggest a clean re-install of XP, but it may save you time in
the end. (I hope that you've retained installation media for all of your
application software.)

PIII 800? When was it new, 1999?

"Bill Bradshaw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have an older computer that is still usable but I am having problems
> with the video card (drivers?).
>
> Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
> Computer:
> Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional
> OS Service Pack Service Pack 3
> Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11
> DirectX 4.09.00.0904
> (DirectX 9.0c)
>
> Motherboard:
> CPU Type Intel Pentium IIIE, 800
> MHz (6 x 133)
> Motherboard Name Tyan S1854(-A) Trinity 400 (6
> PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
> Motherboard Chipset VIA VT82C694X Apollo Pro133A
> System Memory 512 MB (SDRAM)
> Award BIOS Type Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
> Award BIOS Message TYAN S1854 Trinity 400 Rev. 1.07
>
> Display:
> Video Adapter BFG nVIDIA GeForce 6600
> AGP
> 3D Accelerator BFG nVIDIA GeForce 6600
> AGP
>
> Multimedia:
> Audio Adapter Ensoniq Tazer Sound Card
>
> Graphics Processor Properties:
> Video Adapter nVIDIA GeForce 6600 AGP
> GPU Code Name NV43AGP
> PCI Device 10DE / 00F2
> Transistors 143 million
> Process Technology 0.11u
> Die Size 150 mm2
> Bus Type AGP 4x
> Memory Size 256 MB
> GPU Clock 324 MHz
> RAMDAC Clock 400 MHz
> Pixel Pipelines 8
> TMU Per Pipeline 1
> Vertex Shaders 3 (v3.0)
> Pixel Shaders 1 (v3.0)
> DirectX Hardware Support DirectX v9.0c
> Pixel Fillrate 2592 MPixel/s
> Texel Fillrate 2592 MTexel/s
>
> Memory Bus Properties:
> Bus Type DDR
> Bus Width 128-bit
> Real Clock 201 MHz (DDR)
> Effective Clock 402 MHz
> Bandwidth 6432 MB/s
>
> I started having BSODs which I finally traced to the video. I uninstalled
> the 82.12 drivers from safe mode and then restarted and in safe mode and
> ran detonator. I then reinstalled the 82.12 drivers but was unable to get
> them to load (code 10). I then retraced my steps using the CD that came
> with the card and has version 7.7.7.6 on it. Again the system hardware
> reports a code 10. The card does work in VGA mode. I am still using it
> in the computer but I need the nVidia drivers so I can use the second
> monitor.
>
> I have spent hours on the computer and Google trying to find an answer.
> As you can imagine I am going out of my mind. I would appreciate any help
> I can get.
> --
> <Bill>
>
> Brought to you from Anchorage, Alaska.

deimos

Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> I have an older computer that is still usable but I am having problems with
> the video card (drivers?).
>
> Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
> Computer:
> Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional
> OS Service Pack Service Pack 3
> Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11
> DirectX 4.09.00.0904
> (DirectX 9.0c)
>
> Motherboard:
> CPU Type Intel Pentium IIIE, 800
> MHz (6 x 133)
> Motherboard Name Tyan S1854(-A) Trinity 400 (6
> PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
> Motherboard Chipset VIA VT82C694X Apollo Pro133A
> System Memory 512 MB (SDRAM)
> Award BIOS Type Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
> Award BIOS Message TYAN S1854 Trinity 400 Rev. 1.07
>
> Display:
> Video Adapter BFG nVIDIA GeForce 6600 AGP
> 3D Accelerator BFG nVIDIA GeForce 6600 AGP
>
> Multimedia:
> Audio Adapter Ensoniq Tazer Sound Card
>
> Graphics Processor Properties:
> Video Adapter nVIDIA GeForce 6600 AGP
> GPU Code Name NV43AGP
> PCI Device 10DE / 00F2
> Transistors 143 million
> Process Technology 0.11u
> Die Size 150 mm2
> Bus Type AGP 4x
> Memory Size 256 MB
> GPU Clock 324 MHz
> RAMDAC Clock 400 MHz
> Pixel Pipelines 8
> TMU Per Pipeline 1
> Vertex Shaders 3 (v3.0)
> Pixel Shaders 1 (v3.0)
> DirectX Hardware Support DirectX v9.0c
> Pixel Fillrate 2592 MPixel/s
> Texel Fillrate 2592 MTexel/s
>
> Memory Bus Properties:
> Bus Type DDR
> Bus Width 128-bit
> Real Clock 201 MHz (DDR)
> Effective Clock 402 MHz
> Bandwidth 6432 MB/s
>
> I started having BSODs which I finally traced to the video. I uninstalled
> the 82.12 drivers from safe mode and then restarted and in safe mode and ran
> detonator. I then reinstalled the 82.12 drivers but was unable to get them
> to load (code 10). I then retraced my steps using the CD that came with the
> card and has version 7.7.7.6 on it. Again the system hardware reports a
> code 10. The card does work in VGA mode. I am still using it in the
> computer but I need the nVidia drivers so I can use the second monitor.
>
> I have spent hours on the computer and Google trying to find an answer. As
> you can imagine I am going out of my mind. I would appreciate any help I
> can get.

You're using some pretty old hardware, but I've actually done the same
myself with an IWill KT133A system and a XFX 6600GT. I would stick to
the 4.43 4-in-1 Drivers only.

There were several bugs with the KT133/A chipsets that caused a specific
register in the AgP controller to be set wrong. Newer 4-in-1 drivers
(Hyperions) screwed up and didn't fix the register on a clean install.

This was called the MWQ bug. It causes all 3d games (D3d/OpenGL) to
crash randomly. You're probably experiencing similar. Also, any of the
7x.xx or 9x.xx series Forceware drivers seems to work fine with a 6600GT
- so I wouldn't worry much about that part.

Lastly, if you can swap out the card for a similar one (roughly the same
series like GF4 to FX), you might be able to diagnose whether the
hardware has gone bad.

Phat_Jethro aka Jethro[AGHL]

Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> I have an older computer that is still usable but I am having problems with
> the video card (drivers?).
>
> Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
> Computer:
> Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional
> OS Service Pack Service Pack 3
> Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11
> DirectX 4.09.00.0904
> (DirectX 9.0c)
>
> Motherboard:
> CPU Type Intel Pentium IIIE, 800
> MHz (6 x 133)
> Motherboard Name Tyan S1854(-A) Trinity 400 (6
> PCI, 1 AGP, 3 DIMM)
> Motherboard Chipset VIA VT82C694X Apollo Pro133A
> System Memory 512 MB (SDRAM)
> Award BIOS Type Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG
> Award BIOS Message TYAN S1854 Trinity 400 Rev. 1.07
>
> Display:
> Video Adapter BFG nVIDIA GeForce 6600 AGP
> 3D Accelerator BFG nVIDIA GeForce 6600 AGP
>
> Multimedia:
> Audio Adapter Ensoniq Tazer Sound Card
>
> Graphics Processor Properties:
> Video Adapter nVIDIA GeForce 6600 AGP
> GPU Code Name NV43AGP
> PCI Device 10DE / 00F2
> Transistors 143 million
> Process Technology 0.11u
> Die Size 150 mm2
> Bus Type AGP 4x
> Memory Size 256 MB
> GPU Clock 324 MHz
> RAMDAC Clock 400 MHz
> Pixel Pipelines 8
> TMU Per Pipeline 1
> Vertex Shaders 3 (v3.0)
> Pixel Shaders 1 (v3.0)
> DirectX Hardware Support DirectX v9.0c
> Pixel Fillrate 2592 MPixel/s
> Texel Fillrate 2592 MTexel/s
>
> Memory Bus Properties:
> Bus Type DDR
> Bus Width 128-bit
> Real Clock 201 MHz (DDR)
> Effective Clock 402 MHz
> Bandwidth 6432 MB/s
>
> I started having BSODs which I finally traced to the video. I uninstalled
> the 82.12 drivers from safe mode and then restarted and in safe mode and ran
> detonator. I then reinstalled the 82.12 drivers but was unable to get them
> to load (code 10). I then retraced my steps using the CD that came with the
> card and has version 7.7.7.6 on it. Again the system hardware reports a
> code 10. The card does work in VGA mode. I am still using it in the
> computer but I need the nVidia drivers so I can use the second monitor.
>
> I have spent hours on the computer and Google trying to find an answer. As
> you can imagine I am going out of my mind. I would appreciate any help I
> can get.

I can take a guess and say that the hardware has issues. The BFG 6600GT
cards are rather flaky I have found. I had one that I needed to get
replaced. My cousin had his make sparks and my brother had to return his
2 times to get a proper working one from BFG.
It has only been the BFG 6600GT's I've seen but BFG is very good about
returns and replacements with their "lifetime" warranty. Give them a
call or email and see.

Jethro[AGHL] aka Phat_Jethro
Reply Email: jethro86 (at) gmail (dot) com

Bill Bradshaw

Bill Bradshaw wrote:
> I have an older computer that is still usable but I am having
> problems with the video card (drivers?).
>
> Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
> Computer:
> Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
> Professional
> OS Service Pack Service Pack 3
> Internet Explorer 7.0.5730.11
> DirectX 4.09.00.0904
>
> Display:
> Video Adapter BFG nVIDIA GeForce
> 6600 AGP 3D Accelerator BFG nVIDIA
> GeForce 6600 AGP
> I have spent hours on the computer and Google trying to find an
> answer. As you can imagine I am going out of my mind. I would
> appreciate any help I can get.

I have tried everybody's ideas without any luck so I guess I will reload
Windows. Fortunately I use partitions and operating system in on c,
programs on d, and data on e. So while a hassle it may not be too bad.
Also two current backups. Thanks for trying. I hope I do not do this and
it does turn out to be a hardware problem :-).
--

First of One wrote:
> I'm surprised you actually got this setup to work. The 6600GT is a native
> PCIe GPU, which means the AGP cards use an HSI bridge chip (usually mounted
> at a slant) that places extra demands on the motherboard AGP (unable to use
> 3.3V signaling, for example).
>
> If I remember right, the Pro133A came at around the same time as the KX133.
> The KT133/A came a bit later. Back when I had an Apollo Pro133A board (Asus
> P3V), I never could get AGP4x to work reliably, even though it was supported
> on paper.

I know the IWill KK266 (KT133A) could handle both 3.3v and 1.5v, but if
it's an older 133 design then I can see where he might be running into
compatibility problems.

Bill Bradshaw

"Bill Bradshaw" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have an older computer that is still usable but I am having problems
>with the video card (drivers?).
>
> Display:
> Video Adapter BFG nVIDIA GeForce
> 6600 AGP
> 3D Accelerator BFG nVIDIA GeForce
> 6600 AGP

Reloading WinXP seems to have fixed the problem. Thanks for your help.