Problems Installing WinXP onto IBM T20 2647-44G

Stuart

When I install winxp either as an upgrade from Win98SE or from CD Boot
the T20 shutsdown after a period of time (usually after the initial
file copying completes).

Has anyone seen this or know a work around?

Ta

Bruce Markowitz

It may be a problem with the CPU

On 26 Jul 2003 04:34:11 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (Stuart)
wrote:

>When I install winxp either as an upgrade from Win98SE or from CD Boot
>the T20 shutsdown after a period of time (usually after the initial
>file copying completes).
>
>Has anyone seen this or know a work around?
>
>Ta

Derek

On 26 Jul 2003, Stuart climbed into "ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad", opened
the box of crayons and scribbled the following:

> When I install winxp either as an upgrade from Win98SE or from
> CD Boot the T20 shutsdown after a period of time (usually after
> the initial file copying completes).
>
> Has anyone seen this or know a work around?

I had the same problem. I upraded and got it to install once. Then
the harddrive died. The T20 would never install XP again. It got
halfway through the installation (right after checking to see if I
was allowed to do the upgrade) and then told me that it couldn't read
the XP disk.

Fortunately, I did have a ghost image of the original installation so
I was able to make it work.

Derek

--

Scintillate, scintillate, globule vivific. Fain would I fathom thy
nature specific. Loftily perched in the ether capacious,

Derek

On 29 Jul 2003, ArAfAt32 climbed into "ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad", opened
the box of crayons and scribbled the following:

> I don't know if this has been mentioned in this thread yet, but
> are you using the latest firmware? My T20 would not even
> recognize a Logitech maus until I updated my firmware and then
> it ran much smoother on XP as well. The original owner was too
> timid to ever flash the upgrade in.

In my case, I poured over the IBM web pages on upgrading to XP for
two weeks before even buying my refurbed Thinkpad. The first thing I
did was to Ghost a Win98 image of what was there. Then I started the
upgrade process with EVERYTHING that IBM had to offer - including the
BIOS upgrade.

Of course, if the original harddrive hadn't died on me, I never would
have gone through this. And as I haven't "rebuilt" the machine since
then, I don't know if my newer DVD-CDRW drive would be successful
with a reinstallation.

Derek