Problems Powering on

Cards82

I have a custom built PC I made myself built on a gigabyte 8IK1100
mobo, P4 hyperthread 800mhzfsb 2.4mhz cpu, 512mb corsair low latency
ddr 400 ram, ati radeon 7500 card 8x agp ddr ram, pioneer dvd rom,
standard floppy, 2 additional case fans. The Problem is that I left
the computer running for a couple of days while I was away from the
house, when I returned the computer was shut off, so I tried to turn
it back on, no response. No fans, no power on to the drives,
nothing, checked all the obvious things such as ac power etc and it
all was fine, so I assumed it was the power supply. I had a 350
Antec PSU on it, the entire system is hardly 6 months old. So I
replaced the PSU with a 300w (unsure on the company). OK now when I
hit the power button, the power LED and the fans (case fans, cpu fan,
mobo fan) all come on briefly (Aprrox. 1/10th of a second) and then
stop. The Mobo RAM light (yellow light) comes on and stays on and my
optical mouse comes on and stays on and if i hold the power switch
for a soft power down,after the standard time the RAM light and mouse
go off, just as if I were shutting the system down. I tried taking
out the cmos battery for 30 seconds, no change. Tried flipping the
voltage to 230 and back to 115 on the PSU to reset it, no change.
Checked all connections to the mother board, all power connections,
all device connections, and have only the harddrive and videocard as
peripherials hooked up, no change. CHecked for any signs of phsyical
damage or burns, checked the heatsink, processor, capacitors,
resistors, etc no evidence of physical damage were found. If anyone
can suggest anything further, it would be greatly appreciated.

==============

McGrandpa

Try unplugging, disconnecting everything except the CPU, CPU fan and the
two power cables to the motherboard. Remove the ram, video, etc. If it
does the same thing, I'd see if I could try the CPU on a different
motherboard. If you had one, I'd try a different CPU in that
motherboard too. Something went bad, and it's more likely the
motherboard itself, but the CPU can cause those kinds of symptoms too if
it's bad.
McG.

Cards82 wrote:
> I have a custom built PC I made myself built on a gigabyte 8IK1100
> mobo, P4 hyperthread 800mhzfsb 2.4mhz cpu, 512mb corsair low latency
> ddr 400 ram, ati radeon 7500 card 8x agp ddr ram, pioneer dvd rom,
> standard floppy, 2 additional case fans. The Problem is that I left
> the computer running for a couple of days while I was away from the
> house, when I returned the computer was shut off, so I tried to turn
> it back on, no response. No fans, no power on to the drives,
> nothing, checked all the obvious things such as ac power etc and it
> all was fine, so I assumed it was the power supply. I had a 350
> Antec PSU on it, the entire system is hardly 6 months old. So I
> replaced the PSU with a 300w (unsure on the company). OK now when I
> hit the power button, the power LED and the fans (case fans, cpu fan,
> mobo fan) all come on briefly (Aprrox. 1/10th of a second) and then
> stop. The Mobo RAM light (yellow light) comes on and stays on and my
> optical mouse comes on and stays on and if i hold the power switch
> for a soft power down,after the standard time the RAM light and mouse
> go off, just as if I were shutting the system down. I tried taking
> out the cmos battery for 30 seconds, no change. Tried flipping the
> voltage to 230 and back to 115 on the PSU to reset it, no change.
> Checked all connections to the mother board, all power connections,
> all device connections, and have only the harddrive and videocard as
> peripherials hooked up, no change. CHecked for any signs of phsyical
> damage or burns, checked the heatsink, processor, capacitors,
> resistors, etc no evidence of physical damage were found. If anyone
> can suggest anything further, it would be greatly appreciated.
>
> ==============
> troubleshooting newsgroups.

GTS

Exactly the same symptoms I had after an electrical storm during the day -
exhaustive testing proved the mobo was just kaput. The fans coming on
briefly are more of a red herring in that it usually happens sporadically,
seems to be when power has completely drained from the motherboard - you
connect any PSU and they come on for a split second, but if you turn off
then on again nothing happens.
I replaced my mobo and everything was fine - that particular PC is still
running 2 years later.
If there was a storm, you may even be able to claim on home insurance...

"McGrandpa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:wqvGc.19891$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Try unplugging, disconnecting everything except the CPU, CPU fan and the
> two power cables to the motherboard. Remove the ram, video, etc. If it
> does the same thing, I'd see if I could try the CPU on a different
> motherboard. If you had one, I'd try a different CPU in that
> motherboard too. Something went bad, and it's more likely the
> motherboard itself, but the CPU can cause those kinds of symptoms too if
> it's bad.
> McG.
>
> Cards82 wrote:
> > I have a custom built PC I made myself built on a gigabyte 8IK1100
> > mobo, P4 hyperthread 800mhzfsb 2.4mhz cpu, 512mb corsair low latency
> > ddr 400 ram, ati radeon 7500 card 8x agp ddr ram, pioneer dvd rom,
> > standard floppy, 2 additional case fans. The Problem is that I left
> > the computer running for a couple of days while I was away from the
> > house, when I returned the computer was shut off, so I tried to turn
> > it back on, no response. No fans, no power on to the drives,
> > nothing, checked all the obvious things such as ac power etc and it
> > all was fine, so I assumed it was the power supply. I had a 350
> > Antec PSU on it, the entire system is hardly 6 months old. So I
> > replaced the PSU with a 300w (unsure on the company). OK now when I
> > hit the power button, the power LED and the fans (case fans, cpu fan,
> > mobo fan) all come on briefly (Aprrox. 1/10th of a second) and then
> > stop. The Mobo RAM light (yellow light) comes on and stays on and my
> > optical mouse comes on and stays on and if i hold the power switch
> > for a soft power down,after the standard time the RAM light and mouse
> > go off, just as if I were shutting the system down. I tried taking
> > out the cmos battery for 30 seconds, no change. Tried flipping the
> > voltage to 230 and back to 115 on the PSU to reset it, no change.
> > Checked all connections to the mother board, all power connections,
> > all device connections, and have only the harddrive and videocard as
> > peripherials hooked up, no change. CHecked for any signs of phsyical
> > damage or burns, checked the heatsink, processor, capacitors,
> > resistors, etc no evidence of physical damage were found. If anyone
> > can suggest anything further, it would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > ==============
> > Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
> > troubleshooting newsgroups.

Cards82

Yeah, I'm thinking there was a storm the day I was gone and
subsequently fried the Mobo. I'm in liason with Gigabyte on the
subject, but hopefully the processor survived. There is one thing I
don't fully understand and that is why is the motherboard provided
enough juice for the optical mouse still, thats the one thing that
will remain powered and active after the fans stop, if i remove the
mobo power connector the mouse turns off, but as long as the power
connector is hooked up to the mobo then it stays on. Could be that
the motherboard is nothing more than a conductor at this point?
Anyway, I appreciate the quick and helpful responses
Thanks.

==============

Cards82

Ok guys, problem fixed and I didnt have to replace anything. Here's
how I fixed it so others with similar problems can benefit. I did as
suggested and unplugged everything but the cpu and motherboard. At
this point the fans came on and stayed on. I then began to plug in
the other devices one at atime to diagnose. Case fans, then
harddrive, then video card, then floppy drive. However I ran into
another problem, the computer would start but wouldnt POST (no beeps
no and nothing on screen). So this puzzled me, after a few attempts
and unplugging and replugging things the system finally booted and
POSTed. Im fairly certain that if the computer is surged out or
abruptly shut down (i.e. power supply failure), that the BIOS has to
"reset itself" to adjust to the alterations. After time my BIOS
adjusted and "reset itself". Since then its been working perfectly
without any stops. Thanks again for the help and information and
hopefully someone can benefit from my experience.

==============

John

"Cards82" <(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid> wrote in message
news:40eba246$(E-Mail Removed)...
| Ok guys, problem fixed and I didnt have to replace anything. Here's
| how I fixed it so others with similar problems can benefit. I did as
| suggested and unplugged everything but the cpu and motherboard. At
| this point the fans came on and stayed on. I then began to plug in
| the other devices one at atime to diagnose. Case fans, then
| harddrive, then video card, then floppy drive. However I ran into
| another problem, the computer would start but wouldnt POST (no beeps
| no and nothing on screen). So this puzzled me, after a few attempts
| and unplugging and replugging things the system finally booted and
| POSTed. Im fairly certain that if the computer is surged out or
| abruptly shut down (i.e. power supply failure), that the BIOS has to
| "reset itself" to adjust to the alterations. After time my BIOS
| adjusted and "reset itself". Since then its been working perfectly
| without any stops. Thanks again for the help and information and
| hopefully someone can benefit from my experience.
|
| ==============
| Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
troubleshooting newsgroups.

In the early days of PnP that kind of thing was fairly common, make too many
hardware changes and it got tired. Let it rest overnight then carry on from
where you left off.

I thought we had got beyond that now. Maybe it has been reinvented.
John.

Dimitris

(E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid (Cards82) wrote in message news:<40eba246$(E-Mail Removed)>...
> Ok guys, problem fixed and I didnt have to replace anything. Here's
> how I fixed it so others with similar problems can benefit. I did as
> suggested and unplugged everything but the cpu and motherboard. At
> this point the fans came on and stayed on. I then began to plug in
> the other devices one at atime to diagnose. Case fans, then
> harddrive, then video card, then floppy drive. However I ran into
> another problem, the computer would start but wouldnt POST (no beeps
> no and nothing on screen). So this puzzled me, after a few attempts
> and unplugging and replugging things the system finally booted and
> POSTed. Im fairly certain that if the computer is surged out or
> abruptly shut down (i.e. power supply failure), that the BIOS has to
> "reset itself" to adjust to the alterations. After time my BIOS
> adjusted and "reset itself". Since then its been working perfectly
> without any stops. Thanks again for the help and information and
> hopefully someone can benefit from my experience.
>
> ==============
> Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.

I believe your PSU is problematic, you will remember me especially
when you upgrade your graphics card to a radeon9700/Geforce 5900 or
higher.

Steven K

"Maryjoe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> On 7 Jul 2004 03:12:06 -0400, (E-Mail Removed)-spam.invalid
> (Cards82) wrote:
>
> I was lucking and following this thread. To cut it short, three month ago
> I replaced my PS in GA-7VAXP. Recently, if I shut it off even after
> running just a few minutes to reboot, it will never reboot. I need to
> switch on 5 or 6 times before it will "beep" and startup. Can it be the
> PS failure again? It will run perfectly for hours and nothing will happen.
>
> I have an Antec 250watt PS.

People, anyone complaining about startup/ pwr failure problems and using a
psu <= 300 watt cant be taken seriously! Honestly, don't even think about
using < 350 watts. Reasonable wattage is 400 or greater especially true for
everyone using any FX gpu. It simply makes no sense to discuss various
intermittent problems when using an undersized psu.

Steve

Maryjoe

wrote:

I was lucking and following this thread. To cut it short, three month ago I
replaced my PS in GA-7VAXP. Recently, if I shut it off even after running just a
few minutes to reboot, it will never reboot. I need to switch on 5 or 6 times
before it will "beep" and startup. Can it be the PS failure again? It will run
perfectly for hours and nothing will happen.

I have an Antec 250watt PS.

Thanks