Problems With XP Fresh Install...Experience Needed!

Bob Villa

Here's where I sit...2 different XP disks and 2 different CD drives
with the disks not booting.
A W98SE disk WILL boot from the drive.
If I load the CD drivers from A and go to D:cd i386 and run winnt it
will start the XP install then freeze a few minutes later and the HDD
light stays on.
This is an old Dim L1000R (P3,1Ghz)

What the he11 is going on!

Thanks for any ideas,
bob_v

TM

"Bob Villa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here's where I sit...2 different XP disks and 2 different CD drives
> with the disks not booting.
> A W98SE disk WILL boot from the drive.
> If I load the CD drivers from A and go to D:cd i386 and run winnt it
> will start the XP install then freeze a few minutes later and the HDD
> light stays on.
> This is an old Dim L1000R (P3,1Ghz)
>
> What the he11 is going on!
>
> Thanks for any ideas,
> bob_v

Use the 98SE disk to re-partition with fdisk. Then try to load XP.

William R. Walsh

Hi!

That system *should* boot from the CD directly, no need for a boot disk. (I
just started a recently purchased Dell Pentium II/450 system this way, and
it worked just fine, so anything newer should handle it as well.)

The problem you are likely having is that Windows XP takes over control of
the hardware from any DOS device drivers, such as the one providing access
to the CD. To say that the drivers themselves or Windows XP won't like this
is an understatement. You're really causing some toes to be stepped on here!

To work around this, either boot the CD (check setup for options if you
can't do so, such as the boot order) or prepare the hard disk to store
files, copy the i386 directory to the hard drive and run winnt from there.

William

Bob Villa

On Sep 20, 12:32*am, "William R. Walsh"
<(E-Mail Removed) m> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> That system *should* boot from the CD directly, no need for a boot disk. (I
> just started a recently purchased Dell Pentium II/450 system this way, and
> it worked just fine, so anything newer should handle it as well.)
>
> The problem you are likely having is that Windows XP takes over control of
> the hardware from any DOS device drivers, such as the one providing access
> to the CD. To say that the drivers themselves or Windows XP won't like this
> is an understatement. You're really causing some toes to be stepped on here!
>
> To work around this, either boot the CD (check setup for options if you
> can't do so, such as the boot order) or prepare the hard disk to store
> files, copy the i386 directory to the hard drive and run winnt from there..
>
> William

Sounds good...I will give it a go!
Thanks, William (and All)

bob.v

<(E-Mail Removed) m> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> That system *should* boot from the CD directly, no need for a boot disk. (I
> just started a recently purchased Dell Pentium II/450 system this way, and
> it worked just fine, so anything newer should handle it as well.)
>
> The problem you are likely having is that Windows XP takes over control of
> the hardware from any DOS device drivers, such as the one providing access
> to the CD. To say that the drivers themselves or Windows XP won't like this
> is an understatement. You're really causing some toes to be stepped on here!
>
> To work around this, either boot the CD (check setup for options if you
> can't do so, such as the boot order) or prepare the hard disk to store
> files, copy the i386 directory to the hard drive and run winnt from there..
>
> William

It still loads to the same point after loading 5k+files into C:\i386
and running winnt from there.
It does mention that I should install SmartDrive (I don't have the
file or know where it is on the disk)
It seems to freeze at the same point-after one to two min. of loading
files.

It's partitioned for the entire 20Megs.

Windows XP Personal Setup

Please wait while Setup copies files to your hard drive

bob_v

BillW50

In
news:(E-Mail Removed),
Bob Villa typed on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 07:58:04 -0700 (PDT):
> It still loads to the same point after loading 5k+files into C:\i386
> and running winnt from there.
> It does mention that I should install SmartDrive (I don't have the
> file or know where it is on the disk)
> It seems to freeze at the same point-after one to two min. of loading
> files.
>
> It's partitioned for the entire 20Megs.
>

> Windows XP Personal Setup
>
> Please wait while Setup copies files to your hard drive

Are you sure it is freezing? As without SmartDrive, the install can take
24 hours or more. SmartDrive is like the DOS version of a pagefile (aka
virtual memory). And it should be found on a MS-DOS disk or a Win9x CD.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307848

--
Bill
Windows 2000 SP4 (5.00.2195)

Bob Villa

On Sep 20, 10:27*am, "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Innews:(E-Mail Removed),
> Bob Villa typed on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 07:58:04 -0700 (PDT):
>
> > It still loads to the same point after loading 5k+files into C:\i386
> > and running winnt from there.
> > It does mention that I should install SmartDrive (I don't have the
> > file or know where it is on the disk)
> > It seems to freeze at the same point-after one to two min. of loading
> > files.

> > It's partitioned for the entire 20Megs.

> > Windows XP Personal Setup

> > Please wait while Setup copies files to your hard drive

> Are you sure it is freezing? As without SmartDrive, the install can take
> 24 hours or more. SmartDrive is like the DOS version of a pagefile (aka
> virtual memory). And it should be found on a MS-DOS disk or a Win9x CD.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307848
>
> --
> Bill
> Windows 2000 SP4 (5.00.2195)
> Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

Bill you are 100% correct...so the DOS portion complete loads, yay,
but it restarts with no CD support?
Back to same problem of no booting from an XP disk!?
Thanks though!

bob_v

BillW50

In
news:(E-Mail Removed),
Bob Villa typed on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 09:03:51 -0700 (PDT):

,
>> Bob Villa typed on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 07:58:04 -0700 (PDT):
>>
>>> It still loads to the same point after loading 5k+files into C:\i386
>>> and running winnt from there.
>>> It does mention that I should install SmartDrive (I don't have the
>>> file or know where it is on the disk)
>>> It seems to freeze at the same point-after one to two min. of

>>> It's partitioned for the entire 20Megs.

>>> Windows XP Personal Setup

>>> Please wait while Setup copies files to your hard drive

>> Are you sure it is freezing? As without SmartDrive, the install can
>> take 24 hours or more. SmartDrive is like the DOS version of a
>> pagefile (aka virtual memory). And it should be found on a MS-DOS
>> disk or a Win9x CD.
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307848
>>
>> --
>> Bill
>> Windows 2000 SP4 (5.00.2195)
>> Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

> Bill you are 100% correct...so the DOS portion complete loads, yay,
> but it restarts with no CD support?
> Back to same problem of no booting from an XP disk!?
> Thanks though!
>
> bob_v

The way you are doing it, you don't need CD support. As you copied the
i386 folder to the hard drive right? Now you are done with the CD and
you don't need it. And then you run ntwin.exe from that folder on the
hard drive, right? Now you install XP from the files you copied to your
hard drive and not from the CD.

--

On Sep 20, 11:33*am, "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Innews:(E-Mail Removed),
> Bob Villa typed on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 09:03:51 -0700 (PDT):> On Sep 20, 10:27 am, "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> Innews:(E-Mail Removed)
> ,
>

> >> Bob Villa typed on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 07:58:04 -0700 (PDT):

> >> Are you sure it is freezing? As without SmartDrive, the install can
> >> take 24 hours or more. SmartDrive is like the DOS version of a
> >> pagefile (aka virtual memory). And it should be found on a MS-DOS
> >> disk or a Win9x CD.

> >>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307848

> >> --
> >> Bill
> >> Windows 2000 SP4 (5.00.2195)
> >> Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

> > Bill you are 100% correct...so the DOS portion complete loads, yay,
> > but it restarts with no CD support?
> > Back to same problem of no booting from an XP disk!?
> > Thanks though!

> > bob_v

> The way you are doing it, you don't need CD support. As you copied the
> i386 folder to the hard drive right? Now you are done with the CD and
> you don't need it. And then you run ntwin.exe from that folder on the
> hard drive, right? Now you install XP from the files you copied to your
> hard drive and not from the CD.
>
> --
> Bill
> Windows 2000 SP4 (5.00.2195)
> Asus EEE PC 701G4 ~ 2GB RAM ~ 16GB-SDHC

I have run "winnt" which I believe is the DOS portion of the install.
Now, at restart it doesn't find the D drive!
It almost seems like a BIOS issue other than boot order.

bob_v

bob_v

BillW50

In
news:(E-Mail Removed),
Bob Villa typed on Sun, 20 Sep 2009 11:06:50 -0700 (PDT):
> On Sep 20, 11:33 am, "BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

Innews:(E-Mail Removed),
>> The way you are doing it, you don't need CD support. As you copied
>> the i386 folder to the hard drive right? Now you are done with the CD
>> and you don't need it. And then you run ntwin.exe from that folder on
>> the hard drive, right? Now you install XP from the files you copied
>> to your hard drive and not from the CD.

> I have run "winnt" which I believe is the DOS portion of the install.
> Now, at restart it doesn't find the D drive!
> It almost seems like a BIOS issue other than boot order.

Once you copy the i386 folder files over to the hard drive from the CD,
you are completely done with the CD. The CD drive is your drive D,
right?

The whole reason for copying these files over to your hard drive is to
bypass can't find any CD issues later. Thus if during the Windows
install it wants to find something on the CD, just point it over to
drive C in the i386 folder. It should be totally happy with that. As all
of the install files are there to completely install XP.