Processing speed question!

User N

"Annie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:8j1Vg.7559$(E-Mail Removed) m...

> I'm looking at everything at this point. Hoping to replace my 1.4 ghz
> laptop.

.... with a notebook or desktop?

> [] I wasn't even aware of the Core 2 Duo before this. I'm guessing that's
> pricey and fairly new but it sounds like that's what I'll want to look into next.

FWIW there are Intel Core 2 Duo mobile processors, Intel Core 2 Duo
desktop processors, and Intel Core 2 Extreme desktop processors. There
are differences in not only clock rate but the amount of L2 cache and front
side bus speed so you have to pay attention when it comes to benchmarks.
Generally speaking one wouldn't compare mobile processors to desktop
processors and vice versa.

The Core 2 line offers top performance in both the mobile and desktop arenas
and the prices aren't bad so you indeed should look at them regardless of your
application. Remember, if you'll be Gaming you will need to budget for at least
1GB of RAM and a higher-end video card. If the price gets too high you can
look at and ask about other processors from Intel and AMD.

Annie

"Jay B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:0p1Vg.1307$(E-Mail Removed)...
> i'm pushing all my customers to core 2!!
> i just got my first batch in and they are terrific, better than the core
> duo i've been selling. a noticable difference to me.
> prices arent that bad.

Okay, now I'm confused! There is a Core 2 AND a Core Duo?

To User N: I'm looking for a laptop (and I'm always careful to get decent
video)

Tom Scales

"Annie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:8XeVg.19806$(E-Mail Removed) om...

> "Jay B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:0p1Vg.1307$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> i'm pushing all my customers to core 2!!
>> i just got my first batch in and they are terrific, better than the core
>> duo i've been selling. a noticable difference to me.
>> prices arent that bad.

> Okay, now I'm confused! There is a Core 2 AND a Core Duo?
>
> To User N: I'm looking for a laptop (and I'm always careful to get decent
> video)

Actually, there is a

Core Solo
Core Duo

Which have been replaced by

Core 2 Solo
Core 2 Duo

S.Lewis

"Tom Scales" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ZmfVg.3771$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Annie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:8XeVg.19806$(E-Mail Removed) om...
>>
>> "Jay B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:0p1Vg.1307$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> i'm pushing all my customers to core 2!!
>>> i just got my first batch in and they are terrific, better than the core
>>> duo i've been selling. a noticable difference to me.
>>> prices arent that bad.

>> Okay, now I'm confused! There is a Core 2 AND a Core Duo?
>>
>> To User N: I'm looking for a laptop (and I'm always careful to get
>> decent video)
>>

> Actually, there is a
>
> Core Solo
> Core Duo
>
> Which have been replaced by
>
> Core 2 Solo
> Core 2 Duo

And I'd like to personally thank Intel for clearing up the confusion.

User N

"Annie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:8XeVg.19806$(E-Mail Removed) om...

> "Jay B" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:0p1Vg.1307$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> i'm pushing all my customers to core 2!!
>> i just got my first batch in and they are terrific, better than the core
>> duo i've been selling. a noticable difference to me.
>> prices arent that bad.

> Okay, now I'm confused! There is a Core 2 AND a Core Duo?

There are Intel "Core" and "Core 2" processors. The "Core" processors
("Solo" for single core, "Duo" for dual core) were only released as mobile
processors and are still being sold. The "Core 2" processors are of a
newer architecture and have been released in both mobile and desktop
versions. There is no Core 2 Solo yet. If you are currently looking for a
mobile processor for CPU intensive tasks, you'd want to focus on dual
cores and specifically Core Duo, Core 2 Duo, and I might as well mention
the AMD Turion X2 (which Dell has yet to offer in notebooks).

FWIW, here is one comparison of Core Duo and Core 2 Duo:

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets...spx?i=2808&p=1

You can dig up other comparisons on your own, if you like.

> To User N: I'm looking for a laptop (and I'm always careful to get decent
> video)

OK, just making sure everyone is on the same page:-)

Annie

"User N" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..

> "Annie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:8j1Vg.7559$(E-Mail Removed) m...
>
>> I'm looking at everything at this point. Hoping to replace my 1.4 ghz
>> laptop.

> ... with a notebook or desktop?
>
>>[] I wasn't even aware of the Core 2 Duo before this. I'm guessing that's
>> pricey and fairly new but it sounds like that's what I'll want to look
>> into next.

> FWIW there are Intel Core 2 Duo mobile processors, Intel Core 2 Duo
> desktop processors, and Intel Core 2 Extreme desktop processors. There
> are differences in not only clock rate but the amount of L2 cache and
> front
> side bus speed so you have to pay attention when it comes to benchmarks.
> Generally speaking one wouldn't compare mobile processors to desktop
> processors and vice versa.
>
> The Core 2 line offers top performance in both the mobile and desktop
> arenas
> and the prices aren't bad so you indeed should look at them regardless of
> your
> application. Remember, if you'll be Gaming you will need to budget for at
> least
> 1GB of RAM and a higher-end video card. If the price gets too high you
> can
> look at and ask about other processors from Intel and AMD.

User N: In case you missed my previous note, I'm looking for a laptop.
And, yes, I always get a decent video card...silly not to! Thank you for
all your input! What brand would you look at? Dell only? I often do
my comparison shopping/review-studying through CNet.

Thanks to all that helped with my processor confusion!