Does anyone know the fastest processor I could put into these machines?

Dim E520 (Currently Core2Duo)

Dim 5100 (Currently P4HT)

Dim 9200 (Currently Core2Duo)

Thanks.

Ben Myers

On 12/5/2010 8:19 AM, J wrote:
> Does anyone know the fastest processor I could put into these machines?
>
> Dim E520 (Currently Core2Duo)
>
> Dim 5100 (Currently P4HT)
>
> Dim 9200 (Currently Core2Duo)
>
> Thanks.

Offhand, I do not know. Here is how to find out. It is what I would do
if each system was important to me.

First, use the specs and info on the Dell web site to determine which
motherboard chipset is in each system. Next, go to the Intel web site
and look up the specs for each chipset. The Intel chipset specs will
tell you which processors are supported by each. Finally, install the
latest Dell BIOS on each system, because the BIOS upgrades often expand
the range of CPUs supported.

Then, too, the computer system specs on the Dell web site can tell you
some information, too. But Dell rarely updates the specs, so they may
understate the CPUs actually supported... Ben Myers

"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:idhi60$plf$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> On 12/5/2010 8:19 AM, J wrote:
>> Does anyone know the fastest processor I could put into these machines?
>>
>> Dim E520 (Currently Core2Duo)
>>
>> Dim 5100 (Currently P4HT)
>>
>> Dim 9200 (Currently Core2Duo)
>>
>> Thanks.

> Offhand, I do not know. Here is how to find out. It is what I would do
> if each system was important to me.
>
> First, use the specs and info on the Dell web site to determine which
> motherboard chipset is in each system. Next, go to the Intel web site and
> look up the specs for each chipset. The Intel chipset specs will tell you
> which processors are supported by each. Finally, install the latest Dell
> BIOS on each system, because the BIOS upgrades often expand the range of
> CPUs supported.
>
> Then, too, the computer system specs on the Dell web site can tell you
> some information, too. But Dell rarely updates the specs, so they may
> understate the CPUs actually supported... Ben Myers

Thanks Ben. Something told me it wasn't going to be as easy as I'd thought!

Pen

On 12/5/2010 8:19 AM, J wrote:
> Does anyone know the fastest processor I could put into these machines?
>
> Dim E520 (Currently Core2Duo)
>
> Dim 5100 (Currently P4HT)
>
> Dim 9200 (Currently Core2Duo)
>
> Thanks.

Have you tried the dell forums? There are threads there at
least for the E520.

Ben Myers

On 12/5/2010 8:19 AM, J wrote:
> Does anyone know the fastest processor I could put into these machines?
>
> Dim E520 (Currently Core2Duo)
>
> Dim 5100 (Currently P4HT)
>
> Dim 9200 (Currently Core2Duo)
>
> Thanks.

Well, here is the user guide for the 5100, with the specs in the appendix.

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...m/T8144bk2.pdf

The chipset is Intel 945G, hence it is capable of handling at least dual
core. Beyond dual core, see the Intel 945 specs:

http://www.intel.com/Products/Deskto...G-overview.htm

Supports Core2 processor.

It does not take a lot of digging to find this info! ... Ben Myers

"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:idk4pv$7eg$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
> On 12/5/2010 8:19 AM, J wrote:
>> Does anyone know the fastest processor I could put into these machines?
>>
>> Dim E520 (Currently Core2Duo)
>>
>> Dim 5100 (Currently P4HT)
>>
>> Dim 9200 (Currently Core2Duo)
>>
>> Thanks.

> Well, here is the user guide for the 5100, with the specs in the appendix.
>
> http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...m/T8144bk2.pdf
>
> The chipset is Intel 945G, hence it is capable of handling at least dual
> core. Beyond dual core, see the Intel 945 specs:
>
> http://www.intel.com/Products/Deskto...G-overview.htm
>
> Supports Core2 processor.
>
> It does not take a lot of digging to find this info! ... Ben Myers

It's not so much the 'finding' of the info Ben, it's the 'understanding'
what it means part that is the problem for me.

And so much 'confusion' over things like which processor will work with
which board, etc.,.
For example, some folks say the 5100 can take the core2duo processor, but
there are other reports of folks who tried this and it didn't work. They
usually qute issues like voltages and fsb speeds being different. All so
damned complicated to those not in the know electronically, and very costly
if you get it wrong...'which is easy to do it seems.

Wish I was qualified in electronics intead of agriculture!
It's a jungle out there, indeed.

Ben Myers

On 12/7/2010 6:53 AM, J wrote:
> "Ben Myers"<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:idk4pv$7eg$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
>> On 12/5/2010 8:19 AM, J wrote:
>>> Does anyone know the fastest processor I could put into these machines?
>>>
>>> Dim E520 (Currently Core2Duo)
>>>
>>> Dim 5100 (Currently P4HT)
>>>
>>> Dim 9200 (Currently Core2Duo)
>>>
>>> Thanks.

>> Well, here is the user guide for the 5100, with the specs in the appendix.
>>
>> http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...m/T8144bk2.pdf
>>
>> The chipset is Intel 945G, hence it is capable of handling at least dual
>> core. Beyond dual core, see the Intel 945 specs:
>>
>> http://www.intel.com/Products/Deskto...G-overview.htm
>>
>> Supports Core2 processor.
>>
>> It does not take a lot of digging to find this info! ... Ben Myers

> It's not so much the 'finding' of the info Ben, it's the 'understanding'
> what it means part that is the problem for me.
>
> And so much 'confusion' over things like which processor will work with
> which board, etc.,.
> For example, some folks say the 5100 can take the core2duo processor, but
> there are other reports of folks who tried this and it didn't work. They
> usually qute issues like voltages and fsb speeds being different. All so
> damned complicated to those not in the know electronically, and very costly
> if you get it wrong...'which is easy to do it seems.
>
> Wish I was qualified in electronics intead of agriculture!
> It's a jungle out there, indeed.

When all is said and done, there are only two ways to find out which
processors work. Either to rely on incomplete (possibly out of date)
published information or to experiment. Which boils down to experiment,
doesn't it? If someone else has succeeded with a CPU "experiment", that
gets rid of the uncertainty.

The best that can be said is to update the motherboard BIOS to the
latest, then put in a different processor, cross your fingers, and hope
for the best. The circuitry of most Intel chipset motherboards is such
that one is very unlikely to burn out either CPU or motherboard if a
non-working combo is tried.

Still, a knowledge of the chipset specifications becomes fundamental in
identifying which possible combinations to try. Same with the Intel
sSpec (marked on the CPUs), which identifies CPU stepping, operating
voltage and other characteristics.

I do not experiment as much with CPUs as I used to. Back in the days of
the 486, there was a lot to be gained by replacing a 33Mhz Intel
80486-DX with a 133MHz AMD 486 workalike (e.g. Evergreen kit or my own
hand-built CPU kits). The multiplier of 4 in clock speeds was a very
rough approximation of the speed increase. Maybe not a 4x increase, but
"only" 3x, still easily recognizable at the end of the day.

Today, it is difficult to quantify the improvement one would see by
switching, for example, from a 3.0GHz HT Pentium 4 to a dual core 2.2GHz
CPU. Only if the faster CPU is cheap like dirt or if one has $$ to
throw away is it worthwhile to experiment.

FYI, the Dimension E520 Users Guide implies that a P4 HT is the only
supported processor, yet its chipset is the Intel 965. The Dimension
9200 Users Guide states that CPUs can be P4, Pentium D or Core 2 Duo.
It, too, uses the 965 chipset, and Intel's 965 spec is consistent with
Dell Dimension 9200 documentation. That rules out any of the quad core
Intel CPUs, doesn't it?

Finally, neither Dell nor Intel have any motivation to provide the
information people need for CPU upgrades. Dell does not even sell CPU
upgrades. Intel simply wants to pump out CPUs and motherboards, and
sell them in very large quantities to system builders or wholesale
distributors.

All you can do is get yourself the biggest baddest Core 2 Duo CPU and
try it in both the E520 and the 9200. Before you do so, compare clock
speeds between what is in your system now and what you might try. Use
some thermal paste, too.

As an old friend once said, it is hard to feel the difference between
two systems with processors having even as much of a speed difference as
50%. He's right. I do not pay much of a speed penalty at all in using
this older system with a 2.8GHz Celeron, antiquated by modern standards,
and overdue for replacement when I can find the time to do so. The only
reasons to replace it are to upgrade the operating system and to
increase the amount disk storage... Ben Myers