Postman Delivers

I have a Profile 3 sitting on my work bench. The system is loaded with
Windows ME, can this be upgraded to windows XP, and are there drivers for
this system if i upgrade...

Is there anything special I need to know about this system before or when
upgrading?

JR the postman

BillW50

In news:Kfl6k.1419$(E-Mail Removed),
Postman Delivers typed on Wed, 18 Jun 2008 21:28:26 -0700:
> I have a Profile 3 sitting on my work bench. The system is loaded
> with Windows ME, can this be upgraded to windows XP,

Yes it can.

> and are there
> drivers for this system if i upgrade...

Not many XP drivers. For example, no sound drivers available for XP.
Although the Windows 2000 sound drivers just might work okay under
Windows XP.

http://assets.gateway.com/support/dr...rofile+3&st=kw

> Is there anything special I need to know about this system before or
> when upgrading?

You can't do much upgrading with it.

--
Bill
Gateway Celeron M 370 (1.5GHZ)

Postman Delivers

BillW50 wrote:

> In news:Kfl6k.1419$(E-Mail Removed),
> Postman Delivers typed on Wed, 18 Jun 2008 21:28:26 -0700:
>> I have a Profile 3 sitting on my work bench. The system is loaded
>> with Windows ME, can this be upgraded to windows XP,

> Yes it can.
>
>> and are there
>> drivers for this system if i upgrade...

> Not many XP drivers. For example, no sound drivers available for XP.
> Although the Windows 2000 sound drivers just might work okay under
> Windows XP.
>
> http://assets.gateway.com/support/dr...rofile+3&st=kw
>
>> Is there anything special I need to know about this system before or
>> when upgrading?

> You can't do much upgrading with it.

BillW50,

I have looked on e-bay and they have several listed with XP installed is the
reason I asked. But looking at the link you supplied I see what you mean
the drivers are limited... I have one win2k serial number remaining and
see that was installed in these systems so guess that is a better option -

Would be nice to have a recovery disk with the win2k drivers, but guess
everything should be straight forward switching the operating system, as
this needs to go on line and the users needs an anti-virus... I was a bit
surprised trying to load the free AVG, that it said sorry only win2k, XP
and Vista...

This system has almost no memory (one stick 128 of 66mhz) but I have read
several places 100mhz is what this system can have installed, but I have
not run CPUz to read the motherboard and processor information.

Today I am going to push this Win ME profile3 to the backside of the
workbench and deal with a ECS 946GZT-MS motherboard front pin out
instead...

Thanks for the research, it is certainly appreciated and I will let you know
on Monday how the system is running with win2k... I did manage to get on
line using a 3com (3CCFE575BT) Lan Card, presume that drivers will be
available for the PC Card slot...

JE the postman