Proper way to shut down a Sunblade 150 if not super user?

Barry OGrady

What is the proper way to shut down a Sunblade 150 if logged
on as an ordinary user?
I was thinking of using sudo from a shortcut on the desktop.
Could that work?
There must be a standard procedure though.

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

Paul Gress

Barry OGrady wrote:
> What is the proper way to shut down a Sunblade 150 if logged
> on as an ordinary user?
> I was thinking of using sudo from a shortcut on the desktop.
> Could that work?
> There must be a standard procedure though.
>
> Barry
> =====
> Home page
> http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

This is what I do.

/opt/csw/bin/sudo /sbin/init 5

Also, if I recall correctly, on my Blade 100 (when I used it), if you
double click the power button it initiates a powerdown.

Paul

Cydrome Leader

Paul Gress <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Barry OGrady wrote:
>> What is the proper way to shut down a Sunblade 150 if logged
>> on as an ordinary user?
>> I was thinking of using sudo from a shortcut on the desktop.
>> Could that work?
>> There must be a standard procedure though.
>>
>> Barry
>> =====
>> Home page
>> http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

> This is what I do.
>
> /opt/csw/bin/sudo /sbin/init 5
>
> Also, if I recall correctly, on my Blade 100 (when I used it), if you
> double click the power button it initiates a powerdown.
>
> Paul

setting a correct path would make this command far easier.

David Wilson

On Jan 30, 10:26*pm, Barry OGrady <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> What is the proper way to shut down a Sunblade 150 if logged
> on as an ordinary user?
> There must be a standard procedure though.

Are you sitting in front of it or remotely logged in? If the former,
press and release the power button. This will invoke the "powerfail"
entry in /etc/inittab which invokes /usr/bin/shutdown (as root).

This was an annoying feature when I ran a lab of 36x Ultra5 (then
replaced by SunBlade 150 computers) as the students would arrive, see
a black screen (screen saver after last user logged out), push the
power button to turn the system on causing the system to shutdown
which resulted in rather short up times...

If the power button is held in for >5 seconds the system will power
off without doing a clean shutdown.

Thomas Tornblom

rkiesling <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Cydrome Leader <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> Paul Gress <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> This is what I do.
>>>
>>> /opt/csw/bin/sudo /sbin/init 5
>>>
>>> Also, if I recall correctly, on my Blade 100 (when I used it), if you
>>> double click the power button it initiates a powerdown.
>>>
>>> Paul

>> setting a correct path would make this command far easier.

> ln -s is your friend. Sudo as most admins know it is not
> standard equipment after Solaris 9 or so. Some of the
> aftermarket sudo's install in /usr/local/bin.
>
> --
> Ctalk Home Page: http://www.ctalklang.org

spiff:/etc/opt/SUNWut (220)> which sudo
/usr/bin/sudo

spiff:/etc/opt/SUNWut (221)> pkgchk -l -p /usr/bin/sudo
Pathname: /usr/bin/sudo
Type: regular file
Expected mode: 4511
Expected owner: root
Expected group: bin
Expected file size (bytes): 181792
Expected sum(1) of contents: 2495
Expected last modification: Jan 23 05:02:24 2009
Referenced by the following packages:
SUNWsudou
Current status: installed

spiff:/etc/opt/SUNWut (222)> uname -a
SunOS spiff 5.11 snv_107 i86pc i386 i86pc

spiff:/etc/opt/SUNWut (223)> pkginfo -l SUNWsudou
PKGINST: SUNWsudou
NAME: sudo (usr)
CATEGORY: system
ARCH: i386
VERSION: 11.11.0,REV=2009.01.21.04.18
BASEDIR: /
VENDOR: Sun Microsystems, Inc.
DESC: sudo (usr)
PSTAMP: sfwnv-x20090121055858
INSTDATE: jan 30 2009 21:25
HOTLINE: Please contact your local service provider
STATUS: completely installed
FILES: 23 installed pathnames
11 shared pathnames
1 linked files
11 directories
4 executables
1 setuid/setgid executables
880 blocks used (approx)

Paul Gress

Thomas Tornblom wrote:

> spiff:/etc/opt/SUNWut (220)> which sudo
> /usr/bin/sudo
>
> spiff:/etc/opt/SUNWut (221)> pkgchk -l -p /usr/bin/sudo
> Pathname: /usr/bin/sudo

> Current status: installed

Ok, I originally came from Solaris 10 which didn't have sudo. Never
expected Opensolaris to have it. Thanks for pointing that out.

Paul

DoN. Nichols

On 2009-02-01, Paul Gress <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Thomas Tornblom wrote:
>
>> spiff:/etc/opt/SUNWut (220)> which sudo
>> /usr/bin/sudo
>>
>> spiff:/etc/opt/SUNWut (221)> pkgchk -l -p /usr/bin/sudo
>> Pathname: /usr/bin/sudo

>> Current status: installed
>>

> Ok, I originally came from Solaris 10 which didn't have sudo. Never
> expected Opensolaris to have it. Thanks for pointing that out.

Depends on whether you have installed the Software_Companion CD.
I have Solaris 10 on this system, and:

Katana:dnichols 21:14:24 > which sudo
/opt/sfw/bin/sudo

Katana:dnichols 21:23:47 > uname -a
SunOS Katana 5.10 Generic_120011-14 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-1000

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: <(E-Mail Removed)> | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Barry OGrady

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 10:50:08 -0500, Paul Gress <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Barry OGrady wrote:
>> What is the proper way to shut down a Sunblade 150 if logged
>> on as an ordinary user?
>> I was thinking of using sudo from a shortcut on the desktop.
>> Could that work?
>> There must be a standard procedure though.
>>
>> Barry
>> =====
>> Home page
>> http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

>This is what I do.
>
>/opt/csw/bin/sudo /sbin/init 5

I don't have sudo install being it Solaris 10.
I have a small script that runs shutdown but it needs super user.
I know the root password so I just use su then run the script.

>Also, if I recall correctly, on my Blade 100 (when I used it), if you
>double click the power button it initiates a powerdown.

That does nothing on my 150.

>Paul

Barry
=====

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 20:11:49 -0800 (PST), David Wilson <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On Jan 30, 10:26*pm, Barry OGrady <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> What is the proper way to shut down a Sunblade 150 if logged
>> on as an ordinary user?
>> There must be a standard procedure though.

>Are you sitting in front of it or remotely logged in? If the former,
>press and release the power button. This will invoke the "powerfail"
>entry in /etc/inittab which invokes /usr/bin/shutdown (as root).

Pressing the power button <3 seconds does nothing.

>This was an annoying feature when I ran a lab of 36x Ultra5 (then
>replaced by SunBlade 150 computers) as the students would arrive, see
>a black screen (screen saver after last user logged out), push the
>power button to turn the system on causing the system to shutdown
>which resulted in rather short up times...
>
>If the power button is held in for >5 seconds the system will power
>off without doing a clean shutdown.

It does do that.

Given that the Sunblade 150 is a desktop machine I would expect
most users would not know the root password.
Thus I figure they must have a way of shutting down properly.

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og

Gert Doering

Barry OGrady <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>Given that the Sunblade 150 is a desktop machine I would expect
>most users would not know the root password.
>Thus I figure they must have a way of shutting down properly.

"Unix machines are not for rebooting".

gert
--
Yield to temptation ... it may not pass your way again! -- Lazarus Long
//www.muc.de/~gert