PS/2 keyboard to a USB connector

Jonathan Sachs

My father recently purchased a Dell Dimension E520 computer, and I'm
trying to set it up for him. I'm having a problem with the keyboard.
He uses a special keyboard with large print on the keys, and it's not
working with his computer.

The keyboard has a PS/2 plug. When we discovered that the E520 has no
PS/2 connector, I purchased a keyboard/mouse adapter to connect the
keyboard to a USB connector. On my own computer this combination
works fine; in fact, I'm using it right now. When we try to boot the
E520 with his keyboard and the adapter, all it does is display the
POST banner. Then it halts and emits a continuous, high-pitched beep.

I'm talking to Dell tech support about this problem, but things are
going slowly. I wonder whether anyone here is familiar with it, and
can suggest a solution.

Jay B

try turning off the "report keyboard errors" prompt in the cmos setup.
that will cause it to not check for a valid keyboard and continue.
hopefully, windows will have the internal drivr needed for it and it
will work.
you may need to use a regular usb keyboard for the initial setup.
i.e. plug in both keyboards, his special keyboard thru the usb adapter,
and a regular dell usb keyboard from another soruce. then boot up and
get windows fully running, and it will hopfully work from both
keyboards, then shut down, remove your std usb keyboard, turn off the
cmos setting, and your good to go.

Jonathan Sachs wrote:
> My father recently purchased a Dell Dimension E520 computer, and I'm
> trying to set it up for him. I'm having a problem with the keyboard.
> He uses a special keyboard with large print on the keys, and it's not
> working with his computer.
>
> The keyboard has a PS/2 plug. When we discovered that the E520 has no
> PS/2 connector, I purchased a keyboard/mouse adapter to connect the
> keyboard to a USB connector. On my own computer this combination
> works fine; in fact, I'm using it right now. When we try to boot the
> E520 with his keyboard and the adapter, all it does is display the
> POST banner. Then it halts and emits a continuous, high-pitched beep.
>
> I'm talking to Dell tech support about this problem, but things are
> going slowly. I wonder whether anyone here is familiar with it, and
> can suggest a solution.

Lez Pawl

"Jonathan Sachs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> My father recently purchased a Dell Dimension E520 computer, and I'm
> trying to set it up for him. I'm having a problem with the keyboard.
> He uses a special keyboard with large print on the keys, and it's not
> working with his computer.
>
> The keyboard has a PS/2 plug. When we discovered that the E520 has no
> PS/2 connector, I purchased a keyboard/mouse adapter to connect the
> keyboard to a USB connector. On my own computer this combination
> works fine; in fact, I'm using it right now. When we try to boot the
> E520 with his keyboard and the adapter, all it does is display the
> POST banner. Then it halts and emits a continuous, high-pitched beep.
>
> I'm talking to Dell tech support about this problem, but things are
> going slowly. I wonder whether anyone here is familiar with it, and
> can suggest a solution.

I understood that those adaptors only work on boards that are supplied with
them.

ie 3rd party adaptors do not always work with any board...

Boris

Jonathan Sachs <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> My father recently purchased a Dell Dimension E520 computer, and I'm
> trying to set it up for him. I'm having a problem with the keyboard.
> He uses a special keyboard with large print on the keys, and it's not
> working with his computer.
>
> The keyboard has a PS/2 plug. When we discovered that the E520 has no
> PS/2 connector, I purchased a keyboard/mouse adapter to connect the
> keyboard to a USB connector. On my own computer this combination
> works fine; in fact, I'm using it right now. When we try to boot the
> E520 with his keyboard and the adapter, all it does is display the
> POST banner. Then it halts and emits a continuous, high-pitched beep.
>
> I'm talking to Dell tech support about this problem, but things are
> going slowly. I wonder whether anyone here is familiar with it, and
> can suggest a solution.

I went through something similar on January 7. I don't know if you'll be
able to accomplish what you'd like to do. See this thread:
<(E-Mail Removed)>

My Dim4550 originally came with a PS2 kbd and a USB to PS2 adapter so
that I could either plug it into the Dim4550 PS2 port, or a USB port. It
worked fine either way.

Later, I got another, slimmer kbd from Dell, that had a USB connector,
but didn't come with a PS2 converter. I wanted to plug it into the
Dim4550 PS2 port so as not to use up a USB port. Using the old USB to
PS2 converter from the older Dell kbd, I plugged the new Dell kbd into
the Dim4550 PS2 port, but only got kbd failure on POST. I tried
configuring the BIOS to ignore the failure message, and to use onboard
USB support while booting, but still, the kbd would not work.

I talked with our IT department at work (we buy Dells) and they told me
that the USB to PS2 converters wasn't working since the pinout on the
newer kbd was not the same as the pinout on kbds that come with a USB to
PS2 converters.

You might take a look at this reply, by William R. Walsh, to my post of
January 7:
<xDeoh.297073$FQ1.236299@attbi_s71>

I understand that you are trying to make the opposite conversion (PS2 to
USB), but I suspect you may have the same problem as I had. I also
understand that you are able to get this configuration to work on your
own machine; I have a PS2 to USB adapter that I use on a PS2 kbd on an
older machine I have, and it works fine, probably because it's an older
machine.

Give JayB's suggestion a try, though, and let us know if it works.

BTW, if the articles I cited are no longer on your news server, and if
you still want to see them, let me know and I'll copy and paste.

Good luck.

Jonathan Sachs

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 15:18:22 -0500, Jay B <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>try turning off the "report keyboard errors" prompt in the cmos setup....

That unfortunately did not work. Even with reporting turned off, and
even with both keyboards plugged in, the computer just sat there and
screamed at me.

I called Dell tech support and they told me that the E520 only works
with USB 2.0 keyboards. Presumably the converter I got is USB 1.1.
(I have not had a chance to call the vendor and ask yet.) They
switched me for Sales to information about where to find a USB 2.0
keyboard converter, but after a half hour on hold I ran out of time to
wait.

I'm going to call around today, and call Dell sales back if I have to,
and figure out what to do next.

Tom Scales

"Jonathan Sachs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 15:18:22 -0500, Jay B <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>try turning off the "report keyboard errors" prompt in the cmos setup....

> That unfortunately did not work. Even with reporting turned off, and
> even with both keyboards plugged in, the computer just sat there and
> screamed at me.
>
> I called Dell tech support and they told me that the E520 only works
> with USB 2.0 keyboards. Presumably the converter I got is USB 1.1.
> (I have not had a chance to call the vendor and ask yet.) They
> switched me for Sales to information about where to find a USB 2.0
> keyboard converter, but after a half hour on hold I ran out of time to
> wait.
>
> I'm going to call around today, and call Dell sales back if I have to,
> and figure out what to do next.

USB2.0 keyboard converter?

That has to be my biggest laugh of the day. No such thing. They made it
up.

Some keyboards just won't convert on the new machines.

Jonathan Sachs

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:12:33 -0500, "Tom Scales" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Some keyboards just won't convert on the new machines.

Do you knw how I can find a keyboard that will work? If a standard
PS/2 keyboard with a converter won't work, I don't know whether I can
safely assume that a standard USB keyboard will work.

Tom Scales

"Jonathan Sachs" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 31 Jan 2007 09:12:33 -0500, "Tom Scales" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>>Some keyboards just won't convert on the new machines.

> Do you knw how I can find a keyboard that will work? If a standard
> PS/2 keyboard with a converter won't work, I don't know whether I can
> safely assume that a standard USB keyboard will work.

Never seen a USB keyboard fail to work on a USB port.

Jonathan Sachs

I talked to Dell sales (I was on hold when I typed my previous
message) and they sold me a keyboard adapter which they specifically
assure me will work with the E520. It should arrive sometime next
week, and we will see. If it works, great. If not, I will return it
and buy him a new large-print keyboard.

Barry Watzman

Try the USB to PS/2 keyboard adapter at this site:

http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index...id/0/id/131781

[scroll down to the bottom of the page]