PS4 graphics to be PowerVR Series 6 ?

parallax-scroll

It still seems way too early to be talking about the PlayStation 4 and
yet, rumored news continues to pop up everywhere.

The latest is big, if it proves true: according to European source
PS3Clan, it seems SCEI "has officially chosen" the technical setup for
their next PlayStation iteration, which supposedly - depending on if
you believe the translation - will launch in 2012. The choice? The
PowerVR Series 6 by Imagination Technologies that utilizes a
technology known as "TBDR," which is "3-5 times better than a
competitive level nVidia/ATI Graphics card." Evidently, Sega used TBDR
to help power the old Sega Dreamcast and if you remember, that console
was definitely ahead of its time in the visual department. But perhaps
the most interesting part about all of this is that Sony will retain
the Cell processor currently in all PS3s; this new piece of advanced
technology from Imagination will work with the Cell. The quote in
question is as follows, although you may wish to take it with a grain
of salt without any official information:

"The PlayStation 4 shall use a high end variant of the 6 Series line.
Performance, specifications and features are at this time unknown. The
Series 6 shall receive an official announcement from IMGTEC sometime
in 2010, with initial models targeting the smartphone and netbook
sector."

On top of which, the rumor gets bigger by saying that SCEI has
furthered opted to work with IMGTEC for the next iteration of the PSP;
the new handheld will get the benefit of the Series 5XT. All of this
may sound like complete gibberish unless you're really into hardware
or programming but if it's all true, this is the first solid piece of
technical information we've seen concerning the PS4. The only doubt we
have is whether or not it'll be available by 2012... However, if you
think about it, the time frame would be in line with the last
generation; the PS2 launched in late October and the PS3 launched in
November of 2006. So you never know.

http://www.psxextreme.com/ps3-news/6173.html
http://playstationlifestyle.net/2009...graphics-card/
http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2009/11/...4-out-in-2012/

Sounds like 1997-1998 all over again, I mean, Sega Dreamcast...It was,
at first, rumored to use a high-end variant of PowerVR Series 2, then
it really happened. Now supposedly PS4 in 2012 with PowerVR Series 6
(and apparently PSP2 with Series 5) ?? Amusing if true. The more
things change, the more they stay the same.

Yousuf Khan

Jim wrote:
> With IBM out x86+Larrabee looks more likely than PoweVR. Intel can make an
> offer Sony can't refuse.

Except that Larrabee isn't proven yet. PS4 can still go to a more
traditional regular PowerPC processor along with a traditional GPU,
making it more like the Xbox360.

Yousuf Khan

Benjamin Gawert

* Jim:

> IBM is still on board the Cell train afterall so we can expect Cell to stay.

Nope, it isn't. IBM discontinues all Cell development. Cell is dead.

Benjamin

Yousuf Khan

Jim wrote:
> "Yousuf Khan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4b0ee987$(E-Mail Removed)-lp.com...
>> Except that Larrabee isn't proven yet.

> The same could have been said of Cell. Without crazy Ken shooting for the
> moon we can expect a "cheap" PS4. I'm not expecting much from Larrabee (its
> just a supercharged PentiumMMX afterall) but with Intel's fab capacity it
> should be cheap.

Cheapness has nothing to do with fab capacity, it has everything to do
with die sizes: the smaller the better. Current estimates are that
Larrabee will be *big*.

> IBM is still on board the Cell train afterall so we can expect Cell to stay.

You missed the other part of this thread that said otherwise.

Yousuf Khan

Bill Cable

On Nov 27, 3:15*pm, Yousuf Khan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> You missed the other part of this thread that said otherwise.
>
> * * * * Yousuf Khan

Based on what I Googled, one division of IBM is off the Cell... not
the whole of IBM.

--
Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!

YKhan

On Nov 27, 4:24*pm, Bill Cable <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Nov 27, 3:15*pm, Yousuf Khan <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > You missed the other part of this thread that said otherwise.

> Based on what I Googled, one division of IBM is off the Cell... *not
> the whole of IBM.

The link has already been posted in another part of the thread. Here
it is again.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...l_Concept.html

YKhan

On Nov 25, 9:53*pm, "First of One" <r...@127.0.0.1> wrote:
> According to John Carmack, at least one of the next-gen consoles won't have
> an optical drive. Who's up for 25GB game downloads? :-)

Well, Nintendo used to do fine with cartridges in the olden days.
Perhaps they're going back to the modern equivalent of cartridges,
flash memory thumb drives? Most modern SD flash cards are 8 to 16GB,
meaning that they're already larger than or equal to DVD drives in
capacity, and they are still growing. Blu-Ray disk don't seem like
they offer enough of a cost advantage over flash drives.

Miles Bader

"First of One" <root@127.0.0.1> writes:
> The PS2 could also do both edge AA and even FSAA (with both supersampling
> and multisampling), but early games evidently didn't use them. Sony's early
> developments tools may have been crappy.

Perhaps it's just the laziness of developers, but as far as I've seen,
the vast majority of PS2 games looked awful right up to the end.

-Miles

Z!

Benjamin Gawert

* YKhan:

> Well, Nintendo used to do fine with cartridges in the olden days.
> Perhaps they're going back to the modern equivalent of cartridges,
> flash memory thumb drives? Most modern SD flash cards are 8 to 16GB,
> meaning that they're already larger than or equal to DVD drives in
> capacity, and they are still growing. Blu-Ray disk don't seem like
> they offer enough of a cost advantage over flash drives.

A 50GB flash drive still costs many times (magnitudes) more than a 50GB
Bluray disk, so it is highly unlikely that next consoles will use flash
as medium.

Besides that, game publishers clearly aim to move from physical
distribution to electronic distribution, not only because it is cheaper,
but also because it allows them to kill the 2nd hand market (games are
locked to a console/user and can't be sold) and makes other licensing
models (like time-based licensing where you buy playtime) possible.

Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert

* Bill Cable:

> Based on what I Googled, one division of IBM is off the Cell... not
> the whole of IBM.

You didn't google very well then:
<http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2009/11/end-of-the-line-for-ibms-cell.ars>

Benjamin