I pulled the "move your Applications folder to another drive" stunt - don't.

AtomicBob

10.2.8 Jaguar, was trying to gain more space on the boot volume.

I managed to move the folder back to the boot drive and every app works
as before, EXCEPT for NetInfo Manager and Disk Utility. When I try to
start either of them, a small dialog comes up that says:

"The operation could not be completed.
An unexpected error occurred (error code 1000)."

Booted from the 10.2 install disk, rand disk util, repaired permissions
(that took about two hours) and did an incident-free disk repair.

Still no go. I'm looking at an "archive and reinstall," aren't I?

I read that there's a way to do what I want by setting up a symbolic
link, but I have no idea how to do that.

Thanks for any advice!

Kiraly

Try repairing permissions again, this time while booted in the volume
you are trying to repair rather than from a CD. Even if your Disk
Utility won't launch, it can still be done from the command line. Log
in as an administrator, launch Terminal, and enter:

sudo diskutil repairpermissions /

Enter your password when prompted.

aaJoe

> Try repairing permissions again, this time while booted in the volume
> you are trying to repair rather than from a CD. Even if your Disk
> Utility won't launch, it can still be done from the command line. Log
> in as an administrator, launch Terminal, and enter:
>
> sudo diskutil repairpermissions /
> Enter your password when prompted.

Tried it but it didn't go anywhere. This is what it said:

Usage: diskutil [verifyPermissions|repairPermissions] [Mount Point
|Disk Identifier|Device Node]
Verify or repair the permissions of an OS X boot volume.
Ownership of the affected disk is required.
Example: diskutil verifyPermissions /

So I tried sudo diskutil verifyPermissions and it said something
similar. ??? There must be something wrong here. Also does it matter
if permissions is capitalized? In the Apple message it is.

Király

In comp.sys.mac.system aaJoe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Tried it but it didn't go anywhere. This is what it said:
>
> Usage: diskutil [verifyPermissions|repairPermissions] [Mount Point
> |Disk Identifier|Device Node]
> Verify or repair the permissions of an OS X boot volume.
> Ownership of the affected disk is required.
> Example: diskutil verifyPermissions /

Hmmm. That's strange.

Try these commands from Terminal:

sudo chown root /
sudo chgrp admin /
sudo chown -R root /Applications
sudo chgrp -R admin /Applications
sudo chmod -R 775 /Applications

See if Disk Utility will launch now.

> So I tried sudo diskutil verifyPermissions and it said something
> similar. ??? There must be something wrong here.

It's very strange. It sounds like the permissions to Disk Utility and
perhaps diskutil itself might be wrong, preventing you from using
those apps.

Have a look at this, it might help:

> Also does it matter if permissions is capitalized? In the Apple
> message it is.

It shouldn't. Leaving it lower case works on my Mac (albeit running Tiger).

--
K.

Te tetted e tettetett tettet? Te tettetett tettek tettese, te!

Király

In comp.sys.mac.system aaJoe <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Tried it but it didn't go anywhere. This is what it said:
>
> Usage: diskutil [verifyPermissions|repairPermissions] [Mount Point
> |Disk Identifier|Device Node]
> Verify or repair the permissions of an OS X boot volume.
> Ownership of the affected disk is required.
> Example: diskutil verifyPermissions /

Are you sure you remembered to type the forward slash at the end of the
line? I get the identical message when I enter the line without the
forward slash at the end.