Q6600 good deal?

peter

Core 2 quad Q6600 sells for under $280. Does that make it the best
overclockable CPU deal?
Normally, you have to pay more than double in order to double the
performance. In this case, is Q6600 equal to two core 2 duo E6600s but the
price is only 1.5x of an E6600?

Phil Weldon

'peter' wrote:
| Core 2 quad Q6600 sells for under $280. Does that make it the best
| overclockable CPU deal?
| Normally, you have to pay more than double in order to double the
| performance. In this case, is Q6600 equal to two core 2 duo E6600s but the
| price is only 1.5x of an E6600?
_____

Maybe a Q6600 is the best overclockable deal, maybe not. Depends on the
context of your question. If mean exactly what you say, then no. The E4300
at under $120 US is a better deal.

A Core 2 Quad hasn't got twice the performance of a Core 2 Duo at equal
speeds. The performance increase realized depends on the applications. For
a bare processor, I can't think of any case where double the price brings
even close to double the performance, ever, for any CPU series, from any
manufacturer. Double the real performance is mostly unavailable at any
price.

If you were to ask the question in the context of specific goals then there
could be meaningful answers. Certainly the $300 US 3.0 GHz E6850 could have
overclocking performance that the 2.4 GHz Q6600 would be hard pressed to
match with most if not all real applications.

Were I about to build a new system for overclocking, I'd consider the useful
applications I wanted to run, the total cost of the system, and what I
wanted out of overclocking. Then I might go with a 680i chipset
motherboard, DDR2-1333 memory, and an E6850 rather than a low end Q6600.

Perhaps we'll see some overclocking reviews soon for the newest Intel
offerings.

Phil Weldon

"peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
| Core 2 quad Q6600 sells for under $280. Does that make it the best
| overclockable CPU deal?
| Normally, you have to pay more than double in order to double the
| performance. In this case, is Q6600 equal to two core 2 duo E6600s but the
| price is only 1.5x of an E6600?

Phil Weldon

Also consider that the Total Power Dissipation of the Q6600 is something
like 130 Watts compared to the E6850 of more like 65 Watts, each at stock
speed. I'd guess that a decent overclock with the 2.4 GHz Q6600 would
require heroic cooling, while the 3.0 GHz E6850 might do pretty well with
air cooling.

Phil Weldon

"Phil Weldon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3lbpi.10308$(E-Mail Removed) link.net...
| 'peter' wrote:
|| Core 2 quad Q6600 sells for under $280. Does that make it the best
|| overclockable CPU deal?
|| Normally, you have to pay more than double in order to double the
|| performance. In this case, is Q6600 equal to two core 2 duo E6600s but
the
|| price is only 1.5x of an E6600?
| _____
|
| Maybe a Q6600 is the best overclockable deal, maybe not. Depends on the
| context of your question. If mean exactly what you say, then no. The
E4300
| at under $120 US is a better deal.
|
| A Core 2 Quad hasn't got twice the performance of a Core 2 Duo at equal
| speeds. The performance increase realized depends on the applications.
For
| a bare processor, I can't think of any case where double the price brings
| even close to double the performance, ever, for any CPU series, from any
| manufacturer. Double the real performance is mostly unavailable at any
| price.
|
| If you were to ask the question in the context of specific goals then
there
| could be meaningful answers. Certainly the $300 US 3.0 GHz E6850 could
have
| overclocking performance that the 2.4 GHz Q6600 would be hard pressed to
| match with most if not all real applications.
|
| Were I about to build a new system for overclocking, I'd consider the
useful
| applications I wanted to run, the total cost of the system, and what I
| wanted out of overclocking. Then I might go with a 680i chipset
| motherboard, DDR2-1333 memory, and an E6850 rather than a low end Q6600.
|
| Perhaps we'll see some overclocking reviews soon for the newest Intel
| offerings.
|
| Phil Weldon
|

| "peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
|| Core 2 quad Q6600 sells for under $280. Does that make it the best
|| overclockable CPU deal?
|| Normally, you have to pay more than double in order to double the
|| performance. In this case, is Q6600 equal to two core 2 duo E6600s but
the
|| price is only 1.5x of an E6600?

Paul

peter wrote:
> Core 2 quad Q6600 sells for under $280. Does that make it the best
> overclockable CPU deal?
> Normally, you have to pay more than double in order to double the
> performance. In this case, is Q6600 equal to two core 2 duo E6600s but the
> price is only 1.5x of an E6600?

Take a look at the benchmarks here, and see how many of them take advantage
of four cores. This particular one does, but some of the others don't.

http://www.tomshardware.com/2007/07/...07/page33.html

Paul