Q6600 oc with query for Ed

Howard Goldstein

Back on 1 Nov Ed M. wrote:

:know on most other voltages
:that the SE seems to supply more than the actual default voltages. Just for
:grins I lowered the speed on my Q6600 from 3.35Ghz to 3.25Ghz and found that
:it will run very stable at 1.27V vcore, which is a good bit lower than the
:'Auto' setting of 1.3-1.32V.

(bad cut and paste from teh google)

Ed, could you share your OC settings on our almost identical system
again with me again please? I'm stable at 3Ghz but it takes 1.35Vcore, 3.2
was not stable at 1.35 but I didn't want to keep ramping up since that
way leads to madness
^
\--- greater

FWIW everything is on auto except Vcore and VDIMM which I have to have
at 2.2 for the Corsairs. OC is via unlocking the FSB<>memory and
setting FSB to 1333 (I'm at x9)

This SE doesn't have the Vdroop mod I did to the old now deceased
SE...I don't think you did the Vdroop mod either IIRC

Ed Medlin

"Howard Goldstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Back on 1 Nov Ed M. wrote:
>
> :know on most other voltages
> :that the SE seems to supply more than the actual default voltages. Just
> for
> :grins I lowered the speed on my Q6600 from 3.35Ghz to 3.25Ghz and found
> that
> :it will run very stable at 1.27V vcore, which is a good bit lower than
> the
> :'Auto' setting of 1.3-1.32V.
>
> (bad cut and paste from teh google)
>
> Ed, could you share your OC settings on our almost identical system
> again with me again please? I'm stable at 3Ghz but it takes 1.35Vcore,
> 3.2
> was not stable at 1.35 but I didn't want to keep ramping up since that
> way leads to madness
> ^
> \--- greater
>
> FWIW everything is on auto except Vcore and VDIMM which I have to have
> at 2.2 for the Corsairs. OC is via unlocking the FSB<>memory and
> setting FSB to 1333 (I'm at x9)
>
> This SE doesn't have the Vdroop mod I did to the old now deceased
> SE...I don't think you did the Vdroop mod either IIRC

No, I didn't do the Vdroop mod either. You have probably already noticed
that the Q6600 runs a bit hotter than the E6600s and that once at a Vcore in
the 1.35+v range, going higher doesn't seem to help as much as with the dual
cores. I think electormigration is an issue with the Quads more so than the
Duals. All my settings now are Auto, except for memory which is at 2.25V
(Mushkin rated at 2.3V) and Vcore which is at 1.3125V (or
thereabouts.......:-). FSB is at 147??.....whatever it is for 3.32Ghz. I
think it is 1474 or so. My max temps stay in the mid 50sC with liquid
cooling and idle temps are in the 30s. I don't worry too much about the idle
temps with these as they seem to be about 10C higher than the Dual Cores at
comparible Vcores with my setup. My processor takes much less voltage at
3Ghz than yours. I can lower my Vcore to about 1.25V and stay very stable at
3Ghz. I am pretty happy with my current OC and it performs very well.
Benchmarks are in the same range as the stock QXxxx processors and gaming,
especially FSX runs very smooth with the SLI'd 8800 GTXs. I do mostly
simulators, both racing and flight sims and they all run great. I see a good
bit of a performance gain over the E6600, especially in FSX with the
Accelleration Pack that adds some multi-cpu support. BTW...............Make
sure you set your memory down to very safe speeds during your processor OC
to make sure that it isn't causing problems. Set it to 'Unlinked' and below
spec'd speeds while working on the CPU and get back to that later.

Ed

Howard Goldstein

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 08:30:15 -0600, Ed Medlin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: "Howard Goldstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: > Back on 1 Nov Ed M. wrote:
: >
: > :know on most other voltages
: > :that the SE seems to supply more than the actual default voltages. Just
: > for
: > :grins I lowered the speed on my Q6600 from 3.35Ghz to 3.25Ghz and found
: > that
: > :it will run very stable at 1.27V vcore, which is a good bit lower than
: > the
: > :'Auto' setting of 1.3-1.32V.
: >
: > (bad cut and paste from teh google)
: >
: > Ed, could you share your OC settings on our almost identical system
: > again with me again please? I'm stable at 3Ghz but it takes 1.35Vcore,
: > 3.2
: > was not stable at 1.35 but I didn't want to keep ramping up since that
: > way leads to madness
: > ^
: > \--- greater
: >
[...]

Thank you, Ed. Looks like 1475 or 1476 is what it'll take to yield
3.32. You're at 1303 bios too I take it? I'm intrigued that you're
seeing better performance with the quad on those sims. I have a 2
core 6750 at 3.6 on the combo production/fun box but it'd be fun to
compare it running a mostly ancient helicopter sim (Enemy Engaged 2)
on the quad at 3.3 vs the 6750 at 3.6.

> [...]

> : bit of a performance gain over the E6600, especially in FSX with the
> : Accelleration Pack that adds some multi-cpu support.
> BTW...............Make
> : sure you set your memory down to very safe speeds during your processor
> OC
> : to make sure that it isn't causing problems. Set it to 'Unlinked' and
> below
> : spec'd speeds while working on the CPU and get back to that later.
> :
> :
>
> Thank you, Ed. Looks like 1475 or 1476 is what it'll take to yield
> 3.32. You're at 1303 bios too I take it? I'm intrigued that you're
> seeing better performance with the quad on those sims. I have a 2
> core 6750 at 3.6 on the combo production/fun box but it'd be fun to
> compare it running a mostly ancient helicopter sim (Enemy Engaged 2)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........Bios 1301. Bios 1303 screwed up OC'ing the SE big
time for me. I couldn't get it over 3ghz on ANY voltage.

Ed

Howard Goldstein

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 12:22:47 GMT, Ed Medlin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
:
: "Howard Goldstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
: news:(E-Mail Removed)...
: > Thank you, Ed. Looks like 1475 or 1476 is what it'll take to yield
: > 3.32. You're at 1303 bios too I take it? I'm intrigued that you're
: > seeing better performance with the quad on those sims. I have a 2
: > core 6750 at 3.6 on the combo production/fun box but it'd be fun to
: > compare it running a mostly ancient helicopter sim (Enemy Engaged 2)
: > on the quad at 3.3 vs the 6750 at 3.6.
:
: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........Bios 1301. Bios 1303 screwed up OC'ing the SE big
: time for me. I couldn't get it over 3ghz on ANY voltage.
:

I am so glad you posted this. GRRRRR Ahhh man, well, maybe that
'splains why I can't get stable over 3.0. Great, I forgot where I put
the DOS flash util that can deal with downgrades. Darn darn darn

Daniel Albuschat

Howard Goldstein schrieb:

> I am so glad you posted this. GRRRRR Ahhh man, well, maybe that
> 'splains why I can't get stable over 3.0. Great, I forgot where I put
> the DOS flash util that can deal with downgrades. Darn darn darn

With my ASUS P5N32-E SLI this tool is embedded right in the BIOS. Neat.

Howard Goldstein

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 20:29:46 +0100, Daniel Albuschat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: Howard Goldstein schrieb:
:
: > I am so glad you posted this. GRRRRR Ahhh man, well, maybe that
: > 'splains why I can't get stable over 3.0. Great, I forgot where I put
: > the DOS flash util that can deal with downgrades. Darn darn darn
:
: With my ASUS P5N32-E SLI this tool is embedded right in the BIOS. Neat.

You can downgrade to an older version from the BIOS? That is new.

Howard Goldstein

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 17:01:26 GMT, Howard Goldstein <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 12:22:47 GMT, Ed Medlin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: :
[...]

Just a followup Ed. I downgraded to 1301 with awdflash.exe, took all
of the settings you used, except for the mem settings, and I'll try
that next because it's silly to be changing so many things at once,
isn't it, and I'm stumped. Anyway, anything over 3.15ghz isn't even
getting through POST (locks up before the memory settings are
displayed). 3.15 boots but isn't stable. I did futz with the memory
for 2.1v and the timings to set it stock at 4-4-4-12-2t and set it for
800 so I didn't follow your guidance there to start with loose mem
timings. That's next.

It was disconcerting though that the bios parm recovery, the asus feature
that lets the next boot run with default parms a failed boot, didn't
work for me at 3.2ghz, just hard locked and needed the cmos clear
button press

Daniel Albuschat

Howard Goldstein schrieb:
> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 20:29:46 +0100, Daniel Albuschat <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : Howard Goldstein schrieb:
> :
> : > I am so glad you posted this. GRRRRR Ahhh man, well, maybe that
> : > 'splains why I can't get stable over 3.0. Great, I forgot where I put
> : > the DOS flash util that can deal with downgrades. Darn darn darn
> :
> : With my ASUS P5N32-E SLI this tool is embedded right in the BIOS. Neat.
>
> You can downgrade to an older version from the BIOS? That is new.

Yup, already did that because there's been a buggy BIOS-version for that
Mobo. Well, actually all BIOS-versions for it are buggy, but the
then-latest was more buggy than the older.

Daniel

Ed Medlin

"Howard Goldstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 17:01:26 GMT, Howard Goldstein <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
> : On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 12:22:47 GMT, Ed Medlin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> : :
> : : "Howard Goldstein" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> : : news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> : : > Thank you, Ed. Looks like 1475 or 1476 is what it'll take to yield
> : : > 3.32. You're at 1303 bios too I take it? I'm intrigued that you're
> : : > seeing better performance with the quad on those sims. I have a 2
> : : > core 6750 at 3.6 on the combo production/fun box but it'd be fun to
> : : > compare it running a mostly ancient helicopter sim (Enemy Engaged
> 2)
> : : > on the quad at 3.3 vs the 6750 at 3.6.
> : :
> : : NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........Bios 1301. Bios 1303 screwed up OC'ing the
> SE big
> : : time for me. I couldn't get it over 3ghz on ANY voltage.
> : :
> :
> : I am so glad you posted this. GRRRRR Ahhh man, well, maybe that
> : 'splains why I can't get stable over 3.0. Great, I forgot where I put
> : the DOS flash util that can deal with downgrades. Darn darn darn
>
> Just a followup Ed. I downgraded to 1301 with awdflash.exe, took all
> of the settings you used, except for the mem settings, and I'll try
> that next because it's silly to be changing so many things at once,
> isn't it, and I'm stumped. Anyway, anything over 3.15ghz isn't even
> getting through POST (locks up before the memory settings are
> displayed). 3.15 boots but isn't stable. I did futz with the memory
> for 2.1v and the timings to set it stock at 4-4-4-12-2t and set it for
> 800 so I didn't follow your guidance there to start with loose mem
> timings. That's next.
>
> It was disconcerting though that the bios parm recovery, the asus feature
> that lets the next boot run with default parms a failed boot, didn't
> work for me at 3.2ghz, just hard locked and needed the cmos clear
> button press

Sometimes you just get a processor that will not go as high as some others,
even with the same stepping. Even with the C2D E6600 my goal was "anything"
over 3Ghz at first. It did better, but that was just icing on the cake. You
still might get it up some more if you crank down the memory (even below
default speeds) while working on the processor overclock.

Ed

BIOS Version for Core2 Quad Q6600 Scott Gigabyte 6 07-27-2007 07:01 AM
Q6600 good deal? peter Overclocking 3 07-24-2007 07:08 AM
P5B Plus Q6600 only uses one core Jim Krol Asus 8 06-29-2007 08:59 PM
Quad Core Intel Q6600 - upcoming G0 stepping can run at much higher temps and............. John Lewis Asus 43 06-24-2007 10:41 AM
Update on my Canon IP4000 query--- + new query MB_ Dell 3 12-28-2004 11:09 AM