Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Quality of Lenovo vs Old IBM

 
 
news.comcast.net
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-28-2007, 07:12 PM
I've owned an IBM A31p for over 5 years and have loved this machine. I'm
about to order a new Z61p as soon as I can get it with VISTA.

My question is whether I will be as satisified with the quality and the
superb FlexView 1600 x 1200 Screen I'm used to. ( I'll be going to 1920 x
1200 ). I love the higher res and extra real estate.

I use my machine for PhotoShop and primarily my on-line brokerage account.
I'm an active trader.

Gary in Atlanta


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
CBFalconer
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-29-2007, 03:21 AM
"news.comcast.net" wrote:
>
> I've owned an IBM A31p for over 5 years and have loved this machine.
> I'm about to order a new Z61p as soon as I can get it with VISTA.
>
> My question is whether I will be as satisified with the quality and
> the superb FlexView 1600 x 1200 Screen I'm used to. ( I'll be
> going to 1920 x 1200 ). I love the higher res and extra real estate.
>
> I use my machine for PhotoShop and primarily my on-line brokerage
> account. I'm an active trader.


Before you invest in Vista read the following URL.

--
<http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt>

"A man who is right every time is not likely to do very much."
-- Francis Crick, co-discover of DNA
"There is nothing more amazing than stupidity in action."
-- Thomas Matthews

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Gary
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-29-2007, 06:13 AM

"CBFalconer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "news.comcast.net" wrote:
>>
>> I've owned an IBM A31p for over 5 years and have loved this machine.
>> I'm about to order a new Z61p as soon as I can get it with VISTA.
>>
>> My question is whether I will be as satisified with the quality and
>> the superb FlexView 1600 x 1200 Screen I'm used to. ( I'll be
>> going to 1920 x 1200 ). I love the higher res and extra real estate.
>>
>> I use my machine for PhotoShop and primarily my on-line brokerage
>> account. I'm an active trader.

>
> Before you invest in Vista read the following URL.


I have no intention of running any software or content that isn't approved
to run on VISTA, thus I anticipate no problems.

My question concerns the current quality of the hardware, keyboard, screen,
etc. Is the quality of the new Lenovo ThinkPad commensurate with the
quality of my 5 year old ThinkPad A31p?

Gary in Atlanta


 
Reply With Quote
 
John Doue
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-29-2007, 12:36 PM
Gary wrote:
> "CBFalconer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "news.comcast.net" wrote:
>>> I've owned an IBM A31p for over 5 years and have loved this machine.
>>> I'm about to order a new Z61p as soon as I can get it with VISTA.
>>>
>>> My question is whether I will be as satisified with the quality and
>>> the superb FlexView 1600 x 1200 Screen I'm used to. ( I'll be
>>> going to 1920 x 1200 ). I love the higher res and extra real estate.
>>>
>>> I use my machine for PhotoShop and primarily my on-line brokerage
>>> account. I'm an active trader.

>> Before you invest in Vista read the following URL.

>
> I have no intention of running any software or content that isn't approved
> to run on VISTA, thus I anticipate no problems.


This is tantamount to saying I don't need car insurance, I do not intend
to have accidents.


> My question concerns the current quality of the hardware, keyboard, screen,
> etc. Is the quality of the new Lenovo ThinkPad commensurate with the
> quality of my 5 year old ThinkPad A31p?


I doubt it but would love to know the answer.

> Gary in Atlanta
>
>



--
John Doue
 
Reply With Quote
 
Bert Hyman
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-29-2007, 01:52 PM
In news:(E-Mail Removed) "Gary" <a@aa>
wrote:

> My question concerns the current quality of the hardware, keyboard,
> screen, etc. Is the quality of the new Lenovo ThinkPad commensurate
> with the quality of my 5 year old ThinkPad A31p?


I'm quite sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that
Lenovo is the Chinese company that was actually making the Thinkpads for
the past many years.

So, unless they decide to drop their standards now that they're selling
under their own name, I'd expect the machines to be the same.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN (E-Mail Removed)
 
Reply With Quote
 
Larry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-29-2007, 03:17 PM
Actually, I'm hoping for better.

The T30 and T40 were disasters. Things were looking up with the T42 and
T43, and early indications are the T60 will be a good one as well.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

-Larry

"Bert Hyman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns98C7503496235VeebleFetzer@216.250.184.7...
> In news:(E-Mail Removed) "Gary" <a@aa>


> I'm quite sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure that
> Lenovo is the Chinese company that was actually making the Thinkpads for
> the past many years.
>
> So, unless they decide to drop their standards now that they're selling
> under their own name, I'd expect the machines to be the same.
>
> --
> Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN (E-Mail Removed)



 
Reply With Quote
 
John Navas
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2007, 12:47 AM
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:17:38 -0500, "Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<meovh.7460$(E-Mail Removed)>:

>The T30 and T40 were disasters. ...


My own experiences with quite a few T30 and T40 machines have generally
been very good, as good or better than comparable machines from other
manufacturers. The only real issue I encountered was the SODIMM socket
on the T30, which was quickly dealt with under warranty. Moving on from
there, my personal T41 has been solid as a rock.

--
Best regards,
John Navas
 
Reply With Quote
 
Larry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2007, 08:15 PM
T40's have had pretty serious System Board/Planar Board issues.

-Larry

"John Navas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:17:38 -0500, "Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> <meovh.7460$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>>The T30 and T40 were disasters. ...

>
> My own experiences with quite a few T30 and T40 machines have generally
> been very good, as good or better than comparable machines from other
> manufacturers. The only real issue I encountered was the SODIMM socket
> on the T30, which was quickly dealt with under warranty. Moving on from
> there, my personal T41 has been solid as a rock.
>
> --
> Best regards,
> John Navas



 
Reply With Quote
 
John Navas
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2007, 10:26 PM
I'll take your word for it, but two colleagues with T40s have had zero
problems.

p.s. Please don't switch posting styles (top vs bottom) in mid-thread
-- it's confusing. Thanks.

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:15:42 -0500, "Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
<MHNvh.59102$(E-Mail Removed)>:

>T40's have had pretty serious System Board/Planar Board issues.


>"John Navas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:17:38 -0500, "Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> <meovh.7460$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>>
>>>The T30 and T40 were disasters. ...

>>
>> My own experiences with quite a few T30 and T40 machines have generally
>> been very good, as good or better than comparable machines from other
>> manufacturers. The only real issue I encountered was the SODIMM socket
>> on the T30, which was quickly dealt with under warranty. Moving on from
>> there, my personal T41 has been solid as a rock.


--
Best regards,
John Navas
 
Reply With Quote
 
Larry
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      01-30-2007, 11:27 PM
Sorry. I've been fined 1/2 credit for violation of the Posting Morality
Statute.

Your two friends T40's comparted to the Thousands I have in service isn't a
comparison

-Larry

"John Navas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'll take your word for it, but two colleagues with T40s have had zero
> problems.
>
> p.s. Please don't switch posting styles (top vs bottom) in mid-thread
> -- it's confusing. Thanks.
>
> On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 15:15:42 -0500, "Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> <MHNvh.59102$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>
>>T40's have had pretty serious System Board/Planar Board issues.

>
>>"John Navas" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>> On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 10:17:38 -0500, "Larry" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> <meovh.7460$(E-Mail Removed)>:
>>>
>>>>The T30 and T40 were disasters. ...
>>>
>>> My own experiences with quite a few T30 and T40 machines have generally
>>> been very good, as good or better than comparable machines from other
>>> manufacturers. The only real issue I encountered was the SODIMM socket
>>> on the T30, which was quickly dealt with under warranty. Moving on from
>>> there, my personal T41 has been solid as a rock.

>
> --
> Best regards,
> John Navas



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lenovo laptop quality - specifically the power jack techman41973@yahoo.com Laptops 22 09-28-2007 06:56 AM
Quality control at Lenovo? Anthony Campbell IBM Thinkpad 0 02-11-2007 09:08 AM
Which laptop to choose: Lenovo ThinkPad R60, Lenovo 3000 N100 orHP Compaq Business Notebook nx9420? Jef Driesen Laptops 1 01-19-2007 05:26 PM
lenovo quality Stephe IBM Thinkpad 11 04-07-2006 03:23 PM


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:08 AM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment