Question Geforce 6200 VS 6600 VS 6800

Nate

I am putting together a new PC and I have not been keeping up with desktop
Video card news lately. For over two years I have been using a Dell Inspiron
1100 with Intel (UN)Extreme graphics shared 64 meg onboard video. Yeah it
sucks.

I am putting together an AMD64 3000+ or 3200+ sysetm with 1 gig ram and an
80 gig SATA hard Drive.

AS for the Graphics cards. I can read all kinds of review with benchmarks
for the GeForce 6200, 6600 and 6800 cards. But I would love to get real
world feedback on what the differences are between these cards. As a point
of reference I am a gamer...
( well I was till I got bogged down with the Intel (UN)Extreme Graphics
onboard I have in the laptop. )
So I want to buy Doom3 ( I was a huge Doom fan back in the day od Doom and
Doom][ )

A couple of other things. I want to get PCI-Express cersion of eaither 6200,
6600 or 6800 and whichever I get I want 256 Megabyte.

There are also some 256 Megabyte Geforce cards in models 5700 or something
like that anyway. Do these come in PCT-Extress and are they too old to still
be competitive?

I want a graphics card that will still be useful in 2 years after dealing
with the Itel (UN)Extreme graphics for over 2 years. I am not the type that
upgrades video cards very often.

Anyway I'd like to get one that is a good performance card 256 megabyte
PCI-E. One that won't choke on new games 1 year from now.

Thank you!

---
Nate

Wookie

What do you want from your computer ?? Games ... surfing, office stuff ...
decoding, editing, photo???
If you play the latest games then at least a 6600GT is in order .. if you
want to spend more then an ATI X800XL or a 6800GT.
If you aren't much of a gamer then the 6200 is fine.

"Nate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:bIMbe.19633$c24.8303@attbi_s72...
>I am putting together a new PC and I have not been keeping up with desktop
>Video card news lately. For over two years I have been using a Dell
>Inspiron 1100 with Intel (UN)Extreme graphics shared 64 meg onboard video.
>Yeah it sucks.
>
> I am putting together an AMD64 3000+ or 3200+ sysetm with 1 gig ram and an
> 80 gig SATA hard Drive.
>
> AS for the Graphics cards. I can read all kinds of review with benchmarks
> for the GeForce 6200, 6600 and 6800 cards. But I would love to get real
> world feedback on what the differences are between these cards. As a point
> of reference I am a gamer...
> ( well I was till I got bogged down with the Intel (UN)Extreme Graphics
> onboard I have in the laptop. )
> So I want to buy Doom3 ( I was a huge Doom fan back in the day od Doom and
> Doom][ )
>
> A couple of other things. I want to get PCI-Express cersion of eaither
> 6200, 6600 or 6800 and whichever I get I want 256 Megabyte.
>
> There are also some 256 Megabyte Geforce cards in models 5700 or something
> like that anyway. Do these come in PCT-Extress and are they too old to
> still be competitive?
>
> I want a graphics card that will still be useful in 2 years after dealing
> with the Itel (UN)Extreme graphics for over 2 years. I am not the type
> that upgrades video cards very often.
>
> Anyway I'd like to get one that is a good performance card 256 megabyte
> PCI-E. One that won't choke on new games 1 year from now.
>
> Thank you!
>
> ---
> Nate

Inglo

On 4/27/2005 6:45 AM Nate brightened our day with:

>I am putting together a new PC and I have not been keeping up with desktop
>Video card news lately. For over two years I have been using a Dell Inspiron
>1100 with Intel (UN)Extreme graphics shared 64 meg onboard video. Yeah it
>sucks.
>
>I am putting together an AMD64 3000+ or 3200+ sysetm with 1 gig ram and an
>80 gig SATA hard Drive.
>
>AS for the Graphics cards. I can read all kinds of review with benchmarks
>for the GeForce 6200, 6600 and 6800 cards. But I would love to get real
>world feedback on what the differences are between these cards. As a point
>of reference I am a gamer...
>( well I was till I got bogged down with the Intel (UN)Extreme Graphics
>onboard I have in the laptop. )
>So I want to buy Doom3 ( I was a huge Doom fan back in the day od Doom and
>Doom][ )
>
>A couple of other things. I want to get PCI-Express cersion of eaither 6200,
>6600 or 6800 and whichever I get I want 256 Megabyte.
>
>There are also some 256 Megabyte Geforce cards in models 5700 or something
>like that anyway. Do these come in PCT-Extress and are they too old to still
>be competitive?
>
>I want a graphics card that will still be useful in 2 years after dealing
>with the Itel (UN)Extreme graphics for over 2 years. I am not the type that
>upgrades video cards very often.
>
>Anyway I'd like to get one that is a good performance card 256 megabyte
>PCI-E. One that won't choke on new games 1 year from now.
>
>Thank you!
>
>---
>Nate

Get a 6800 GT and forget the rest. It sounds like you're sort of
finally putting together you're dream system, don't cheat yourself on
something less.

You don't have to be that concerned about getting 256 Mb of memory. If
you don't want to spend the ~$400 for a 6800 GT then get yourself a 128
Mb 6600 GT for ~$200, if you get a motherboard that's SLI capable
(Google: PCI-Express nVidia SLI) you could add a second 6600 GT in a
year or so to up your graphics power. That way you end up with a fast
card that can handle Doom 3 fine right now and you future proof yourself
a bit. I haven't done anything with SLI myself so I don't know about it
personally.

--
People of the United States! We are Unitarian Jihad! We can strike without warning. Pockets of reasonableness and harmony will appear as if from nowhere! Nice people will run the government again! There will be coffee and cookies in the Gandhi Room after the revolution.

Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
www.inglostadt.com

raj

get the 6800GT, last you longer than any 6600gt, BTW the 6200 is garbage
unless you can do sum heavy modding you can get teh 6200 (non tc) cole to
6600gt speeds.
"Nate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:bIMbe.19633$c24.8303@attbi_s72...
>I am putting together a new PC and I have not been keeping up with desktop
>Video card news lately. For over two years I have been using a Dell
>Inspiron 1100 with Intel (UN)Extreme graphics shared 64 meg onboard video.
>Yeah it sucks.
>
> I am putting together an AMD64 3000+ or 3200+ sysetm with 1 gig ram and an
> 80 gig SATA hard Drive.
>
> AS for the Graphics cards. I can read all kinds of review with benchmarks
> for the GeForce 6200, 6600 and 6800 cards. But I would love to get real
> world feedback on what the differences are between these cards. As a point
> of reference I am a gamer...
> ( well I was till I got bogged down with the Intel (UN)Extreme Graphics
> onboard I have in the laptop. )
> So I want to buy Doom3 ( I was a huge Doom fan back in the day od Doom and
> Doom][ )
>
> A couple of other things. I want to get PCI-Express cersion of eaither
> 6200, 6600 or 6800 and whichever I get I want 256 Megabyte.
>
> There are also some 256 Megabyte Geforce cards in models 5700 or something
> like that anyway. Do these come in PCT-Extress and are they too old to
> still be competitive?
>
> I want a graphics card that will still be useful in 2 years after dealing
> with the Itel (UN)Extreme graphics for over 2 years. I am not the type
> that upgrades video cards very often.
>
> Anyway I'd like to get one that is a good performance card 256 megabyte
> PCI-E. One that won't choke on new games 1 year from now.
>
> Thank you!
>
> ---
> Nate

hkl

gj

Nate wrote:
> I am putting together a new PC and I have not been keeping up with desktop
> Video card news lately. For over two years I have been using a Dell Inspiron
> 1100 with Intel (UN)Extreme graphics shared 64 meg onboard video. Yeah it
> sucks.
>
> I am putting together an AMD64 3000+ or 3200+ sysetm with 1 gig ram and an
> 80 gig SATA hard Drive.
>
> AS for the Graphics cards. I can read all kinds of review with benchmarks
> for the GeForce 6200, 6600 and 6800 cards. But I would love to get real
> world feedback on what the differences are between these cards. As a point
> of reference I am a gamer...
> ( well I was till I got bogged down with the Intel (UN)Extreme Graphics
> onboard I have in the laptop. )
> So I want to buy Doom3 ( I was a huge Doom fan back in the day od Doom and
> Doom][ )
>
> A couple of other things. I want to get PCI-Express cersion of eaither 6200,
> 6600 or 6800 and whichever I get I want 256 Megabyte.
>
> There are also some 256 Megabyte Geforce cards in models 5700 or something
> like that anyway. Do these come in PCT-Extress and are they too old to still
> be competitive?
>
> I want a graphics card that will still be useful in 2 years after dealing
> with the Itel (UN)Extreme graphics for over 2 years. I am not the type that
> upgrades video cards very often.
>
> Anyway I'd like to get one that is a good performance card 256 megabyte
> PCI-E. One that won't choke on new games 1 year from now.
>
> Thank you!
>
> ---
> Nate

The Moultons

I have a 128 MB 6600 (non-GT) and I am a gamer. Performance with this card
is surprisingly good. I can't use Aniso in most games, but 2xq FSAA works
very well. I play doom3 at 1024x768 with 2x q FSAA and it runs pretty well.
Not great, but definatly doable.

If I was in your shoes I would get a 6600 GT to squeeze a little more power
out of your system. The price/performance with the 6600 GT is unmatched in
any other card right now.

"Nate" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:bIMbe.19633$c24.8303@attbi_s72...
>I am putting together a new PC and I have not been keeping up with desktop
>Video card news lately. For over two years I have been using a Dell
>Inspiron 1100 with Intel (UN)Extreme graphics shared 64 meg onboard video.
>Yeah it sucks.
>
> I am putting together an AMD64 3000+ or 3200+ sysetm with 1 gig ram and an
> 80 gig SATA hard Drive.
>
> AS for the Graphics cards. I can read all kinds of review with benchmarks
> for the GeForce 6200, 6600 and 6800 cards. But I would love to get real
> world feedback on what the differences are between these cards. As a point
> of reference I am a gamer...
> ( well I was till I got bogged down with the Intel (UN)Extreme Graphics
> onboard I have in the laptop. )
> So I want to buy Doom3 ( I was a huge Doom fan back in the day od Doom and
> Doom][ )
>
> A couple of other things. I want to get PCI-Express cersion of eaither
> 6200, 6600 or 6800 and whichever I get I want 256 Megabyte.
>
> There are also some 256 Megabyte Geforce cards in models 5700 or something
> like that anyway. Do these come in PCT-Extress and are they too old to
> still be competitive?
>
> I want a graphics card that will still be useful in 2 years after dealing
> with the Itel (UN)Extreme graphics for over 2 years. I am not the type
> that upgrades video cards very often.
>
> Anyway I'd like to get one that is a good performance card 256 megabyte
> PCI-E. One that won't choke on new games 1 year from now.
>
> Thank you!
>
> ---
> Nate

Junior Member

Okay I bought an EVGA 6200 and oddly enough it has 256mb and runs doom 3 on high settings with no problems
it runs far cry on the highest zero problems
it runs bioshock even though bioshock says it cant be run by a 6200
video cards will vary from company to company especially if the company makes seperate versions of the same cards
id go for one i have if i were you or a 6800
but choose a good company id suggest ASUS they were my old geforce fx 5700 and that thing could play far on medium settings with no problems