Question on Quickpath

I noticed that some of the newer Intel i7 processors like 990X and some of
the newer Xeon like E5690 use a separate memory bus from the I/O bus, and
the memory business is run at extremely high speeds. Does support for
this new memory bus technology require a special motherboard?

Ghostrider

On 6/18/2011 4:08 PM, W wrote:
> I noticed that some of the newer Intel i7 processors like 990X and some of
> the newer Xeon like E5690 use a separate memory bus from the I/O bus, and
> the memory business is run at extremely high speeds. Does support for
> this new memory bus technology require a special motherboard?

Generally writing, CPU's are designed to work with specified chipsets
and this means certain motherboards. For the Intel i7-990X, visit the
Intel website. As indicated below,

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id...ec-codes=SLBVZ

this CPU was designed to work with the Intel X58 chipset. In addition,
the the Intel i7-990X inserts into a LGA 1366 socket.

GR

"Ghostrider" <" <00> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 6/18/2011 4:08 PM, W wrote:
> > I noticed that some of the newer Intel i7 processors like 990X and some

of
> > the newer Xeon like E5690 use a separate memory bus from the I/O bus,

and
> > the memory business is run at extremely high speeds. Does support for
> > this new memory bus technology require a special motherboard?

> Generally writing, CPU's are designed to work with specified chipsets
> and this means certain motherboards. For the Intel i7-990X, visit the
> Intel website. As indicated below,

http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id...ec-codes=SLBVZ

> this CPU was designed to work with the Intel X58 chipset. In addition,
> the the Intel i7-990X inserts into a LGA 1366 socket.

So looking at the Xeon E5690 - for example - this would not be plug
compatible on motherboards that use the older Xeons that do not use
Quickpath?

Would anyone happen to know if Dell's Precision Workstations have any model
that will work with an E5690 that use the X58 chipset?

Yousuf Khan

On 21/06/2011 6:37 PM, W wrote:
> So looking at the Xeon E5690 - for example - this would not be plug
> compatible on motherboards that use the older Xeons that do not use
> Quickpath?
>
> Would anyone happen to know if Dell's Precision Workstations have any model
> that will work with an E5690 that use the X58 chipset?

QuickPath was Intel's answer to AMD's Hypertransport, which was their
answer to the old front-side bus. Basically the shared bandwidth FSB was
replaced by a point-to-point transport in both cases. QuickPath is the
underlying bus that PCI-Express runs on top of in Intel systems, just
like PCI-Express runs on top of Hypertransport in AMD systems.

If the Xeon chip that you have uses a FSB interface, then it won't work
with QuickPath.

Yousuf Khan

Bill Davidsen

Ghostrider <00> wrote:
> On 6/18/2011 4:08 PM, W wrote:
>> I noticed that some of the newer Intel i7 processors like 990X and
>> some of
>> the newer Xeon like E5690 use a separate memory bus from the I/O bus, and
>> the memory business is run at extremely high speeds. Does support for
>> this new memory bus technology require a special motherboard?
>>

> Generally writing, CPU's are designed to work with specified chipsets
> and this means certain motherboards. For the Intel i7-990X, visit the
> Intel website. As indicated below,
>
> http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id...ec-codes=SLBVZ
>

> this CPU was designed to work with the Intel X58 chipset. In addition,
> the the Intel i7-990X inserts into a LGA 1366 socket.

Would that imply that boards for the 950 would be expected to accept the 990X
and work? Curious, have such on hand.

Ghostrider

On 6/25/2011 12:26 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> Ghostrider <00> wrote:

<<snipped>>

>> Generally writing, CPU's are designed to work with specified chipsets
>> and this means certain motherboards. For the Intel i7-990X, visit the
>> Intel website. As indicated below,
>>
>> http://ark.intel.com/Product.aspx?id...ec-codes=SLBVZ
>>

>> this CPU was designed to work with the Intel X58 chipset. In addition,
>> the the Intel i7-990X inserts into a LGA 1366 socket.
>>

> Would that imply that boards for the 950 would be expected to accept the
> 990X and work? Curious, have such on hand.

The answer is probably yes with the Intel X58 chipset and the LGA 1366
socket. A bios update would also probably be needed. Check with the
manufacturer of the motherboard for this requirement.

GR