Question about replacting fan in power supply

Rob

My fan's getting pretty noisy so I decided to replace it. I bought a
new fan that has a 4-pin connector. When I opened up the power supply
I found the old fan was soldered to a board. I realize I could cut the
old fan out and splice in the new one, but what would happen if I just
cut the old fan out, removed the wires from the board, and instead of
soldering the new fan to the board, just plugged it into the power
supply by its 4-pin connector? Would it short out or something because
there is no longer a fan attached to the board?

Al Dykes

In article <(E-Mail Removed)> ,
Rob <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>My fan's getting pretty noisy so I decided to replace it. I bought a
>new fan that has a 4-pin connector. When I opened up the power supply
>I found the old fan was soldered to a board. I realize I could cut the
>old fan out and splice in the new one, but what would happen if I just
>cut the old fan out, removed the wires from the board, and instead of
>soldering the new fan to the board, just plugged it into the power
>supply by its 4-pin connector? Would it short out or something because
>there is no longer a fan attached to the board?

Don't. Replace the PSU.

To get to the point, if you knew enough to do this safely you wouldn't
be asking.

--

a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m

Don't blame me. I voted for Gore.