A question about speeding up an older PB system ??

ss454_@hotmail.com

Hi--

First off, Happy New Year to everyone!!
OK, so I have an older PB system, the 685 MB with a Powerleap
(and Mr. BIOS) running at 400 mhz, 2 megs of vid ram, 128 meg mem, 56 k
Aztech modem. . Is there anything I can do, a trick or a tweek that
can make it a bit quicker on the net? Are there things that I can turn
off in Start or anything I can adjust in the BIOS? OK that's it.
Again......Happy New Year to all.

Bill

Ben Myers

The motherboard is maxed out. A PCI graphics card with more memory may help
some. But the real bottleneck is the 56K modem. If you can get DSL or cable
internet service in your neighborhood, you'll see a real improvement. A PCI
hardware modem (US Robotics for example) might help a bit, but we're not talking
orders of magnitude speedup... Ben Myers

On 31 Dec 2004 20:55:11 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hi--
>
>First off, Happy New Year to everyone!!
>OK, so I have an older PB system, the 685 MB with a Powerleap
>(and Mr. BIOS) running at 400 mhz, 2 megs of vid ram, 128 meg mem, 56 k
>Aztech modem. . Is there anything I can do, a trick or a tweek that
>can make it a bit quicker on the net? Are there things that I can turn
>off in Start or anything I can adjust in the BIOS? OK that's it.
>Again......Happy New Year to all.
>
>Bill

mdp

An IDE 100/133 controller card with a faster drive would be noticeable if
you're using a HD that's as old as your PB. But as Ben suggests, since you
want to surf faster a faster internet connection is the way to go.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The motherboard is maxed out. A PCI graphics card with more memory may
> help
> some. But the real bottleneck is the 56K modem. If you can get DSL or
> cable
> internet service in your neighborhood, you'll see a real improvement. A
> PCI
> hardware modem (US Robotics for example) might help a bit, but we're not
> talking
> orders of magnitude speedup... Ben Myers
>
> On 31 Dec 2004 20:55:11 -0800, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>>Hi--
>>
>>First off, Happy New Year to everyone!!
>>OK, so I have an older PB system, the 685 MB with a Powerleap
>>(and Mr. BIOS) running at 400 mhz, 2 megs of vid ram, 128 meg mem, 56 k
>>Aztech modem. . Is there anything I can do, a trick or a tweek that
>>can make it a bit quicker on the net? Are there things that I can turn
>>off in Start or anything I can adjust in the BIOS? OK that's it.
>>Again......Happy New Year to all.
>>
>>Bill

lt_wentoncha

Just out of curiousity, how much did you pay for the Mr BIOS and
powerleap setup? Thanks.

Speeding up a "for" loop (8051) Martin Griffith Embedded 25 03-29-2008 07:07 PM
speeding up an existing PC msim Hardware 3 07-19-2005 04:44 AM
Speeding up transcoding/burning of mpegs onto dvd+rw's Sheila ATI 4 12-21-2004 10:45 PM
Booked for Speeding! Ray Laptops 1 12-23-2003 07:14 AM
Soft moding the 9600 Pro anyone had any experice speeding upp the card >>?? We Live For The One We Die For The One ATI 3 09-22-2003 04:37 AM