Motherboard Forums


Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes

Question about a used Barton 3200+ chip that came into my possession

 
 
Seldome
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-29-2007, 10:43 PM
I got this chip from a friends computer and I know it works, but it has a
few bent pins, and it's missing 2 of its heatsink pads.

If I straighten the pins with plyers, would the chip still work?

And are the heatsink pads that important?


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Conor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-30-2007, 03:02 AM
In article <46fed4e5$0$18999$(E-Mail Removed)>, Seldome says...
> I got this chip from a friends computer and I know it works, but it has a
> few bent pins, and it's missing 2 of its heatsink pads.
>
> If I straighten the pins with plyers, would the chip still work?
>

Yes.
> And are the heatsink pads that important?
>

A bit but it amy be possible to still buy a shim you can use. If not,
simply taking care and ensuring you fit the heatsink flat should see
you sorted.

--
Conor

I'm not prejudiced. I hate everyone equally.
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Greg Campbell
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-01-2007, 07:13 PM
Seldome wrote:

> I got this chip from a friends computer and I know it works, but it has a
> few bent pins, and it's missing 2 of its heatsink pads.
>
> If I straighten the pins with plyers, would the chip still work?
>
> And are the heatsink pads that important?


The pads are there for a reason. Find some foam with similar thickness
and replace all 4 pads with new ones. (Maybe two thicknesses of vitamin
pill lid foam?)

OTOH, if your friend abused the chip this much, I bet he's already
zapped it to death anyway. (That funny 'static' stuff kills chips dead.)

 
Reply With Quote
 
~misfit~
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-02-2007, 07:33 AM
Conor wrote:
> In article <46fed4e5$0$18999$(E-Mail Removed)>, Seldome says...
> > I got this chip from a friends computer and I know it works, but it
> > has a few bent pins, and it's missing 2 of its heatsink pads.
> >
> > If I straighten the pins with plyers, would the chip still work?
> >

> Yes.
> > And are the heatsink pads that important?
> >

> A bit but it amy be possible to still buy a shim you can use. If not,
> simply taking care and ensuring you fit the heatsink flat should see
> you sorted.


I've used bits of that foam double-sided tape instead of the pads. Just
leave the protective bit on the top side of the tape so it's not sticky. The
roll I had just happened to be the same thickness (and roughly the same
compressability) as the pads.

Really, the pads are only there to stop you putting the HS on crookedly
forcefully and chipping the die. As Conor said, if you're careful you won't
need to wrry about it.

Oh, I use fine tweezers for straightening pins.

Good luck.
--
TTFN.

Shaun.


 
Reply With Quote
 
Wookie
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-15-2007, 01:51 PM
If you could straighten out the pins with a credit card .. something less
intrusive than pliers that would be better.

"Seldome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:46fed4e5$0$18999$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I got this chip from a friends computer and I know it works, but it has a
>few bent pins, and it's missing 2 of its heatsink pads.
>
> If I straighten the pins with plyers, would the chip still work?
>
> And are the heatsink pads that important?
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Kris
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      10-16-2007, 01:42 AM
On 10/15/2007 9:51:59 AM, "Wookie" wrote:
> If you could straighten out the pins with a credit card .. something less
> intrusive than pliers that would be better.
>
> "Seldome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:46fed4e5$0$18999$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I got this chip from a friends computer and I know it works, but it has a
>>few bent pins, and it's missing 2 of its heatsink pads.
>>
>> If I straighten the pins with plyers, would the chip still work?
>>
>> And are the heatsink pads that important?
>>

>
>


the pads are/were there to protect the edges of those smallchips from being
broken off as you rock the hs back and forth while putting it on. I seem to
recall having a bought pad of sorts that went around the whole thing - 2
actually - one made of copper and one of plastic. Fudge something and be very
careful when mounting the hsf that you go straight down. It cannot be more
thick than the height of the exposed part of the chip.

--
-Kris
ABIT KN8 Ultra(NForce4Ultra), Ath64 3500+, 2x512MB Geil, Leadtek PX6600GT TDH 128mb, Leadtek WinFast TV2000 XP Expert TV card.
XP Pro SP 2++++
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can XP install disk that came w/my Dell be used on my new Gateway ML6720 Laptop? Daniel G. Dell 22 03-28-2008 12:16 AM
Used Cisco Used Cisco Router Used Cisco Switch At LinkWaves Corp networkequipment@gmail.com Sun Hardware 0 08-17-2006 10:56 PM
Question About Speakers That Came With My Compaq PC Compaq Compaq 0 11-24-2004 03:24 AM
K7N2 Delta ILSR Board + 2800 Barton Chip Question Graham Wakley MSI 3 09-10-2003 09:30 PM
To Barton or not to Barton; That is the question Harkin Banks AMD Overclocking 6 08-08-2003 02:49 AM


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:53 PM.


Welcome!
Welcome to Motherboard Point
 

Advertisment