R32 battery problem and long-term N-charge battery

Nick

I hooked up an N-charge (Saphion technology) 8-hour battery for a
couple of long-haul plane trips, and, later, when I went back to using
the usual two-hour IBM lithium-ion installed battery, I found that it
no longer worked -- at all. I tried a back up battery, it worked. But
then, as a test, I hooked up the N-charge battery and ran it and when
I was done, again, the IBM battery was dead and not revivable, if that
is a word. Questions: Does the N-charge kill the IBM battery? IS this
a matter of the N-charge being tooclose to the IBM battery or simply
running the charge through it? Is it possible to bring the IBM
batteries back to life? Or have I just learned an expensive lesson?

Chip Orange

check out http://www.batteryuniversity.com

If I understand what they're saying about li-ion batteries, you should never
store them for any period of time at a completely discharged state. They
have some onboard electronics which require constant power, and if they go
*completely* dead and these electronics lose their memory, the battery will
refuse to charge. It sounds to me like this may have happened to you.

I've never heard of this "long charge" battery technology you mention, could
you describe it? There must be some disadvantage to it or it seems like
we'd all be using it right? Maybe it's oversized or something?

thanks.

Chip

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
>I hooked up an N-charge (Saphion technology) 8-hour battery for a
> couple of long-haul plane trips, and, later, when I went back to using
> the usual two-hour IBM lithium-ion installed battery, I found that it
> no longer worked -- at all. I tried a back up battery, it worked. But
> then, as a test, I hooked up the N-charge battery and ran it and when
> I was done, again, the IBM battery was dead and not revivable, if that
> is a word. Questions: Does the N-charge kill the IBM battery? IS this
> a matter of the N-charge being tooclose to the IBM battery or simply
> running the charge through it? Is it possible to bring the IBM
> batteries back to life? Or have I just learned an expensive lesson?

Chip Orange

I don't know, I didn't see the answer at batteryuniversity.com, but perhaps
it's there.

"magher" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:nWLVc.25415$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I also have this problem on my 380z.
> How do you go about charging the battery after being completely
> discharged?

Nick

The long-charge battery is a flat thing, a battery, about the foot
print of the laptop that allows 8-10 hours of use on battery. You plug
it intothe machine with your smaller installed battery stil inside the
laptop. To charge you plug the long life battery in and both batteroes
are charged. The only problemis that the laptop now only runs on
battery with the long-lie battery. The installed battery is dead. That
answer the questions? I may have drained the installed batteries but
never for very long. I sense this long life battery did something. I
am just wondering what and if I canfix the short term batteries?

(E-Mail Removed) (Nick) wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
> I hooked up an N-charge (Saphion technology) 8-hour battery for a
> couple of long-haul plane trips, and, later, when I went back to using
> the usual two-hour IBM lithium-ion installed battery, I found that it
> no longer worked -- at all. I tried a back up battery, it worked. But
> then, as a test, I hooked up the N-charge battery and ran it and when
> I was done, again, the IBM battery was dead and not revivable, if that
> is a word. Questions: Does the N-charge kill the IBM battery? IS this
> a matter of the N-charge being tooclose to the IBM battery or simply
> running the charge through it? Is it possible to bring the IBM
> batteries back to life? Or have I just learned an expensive lesson?

Chip Orange

Not quite, how does the long life battery make electrical connection to the
thinkpad? Is it a cable that plugs into the same place as the power brick
would? Or is it plugging into that odd connector on the bottom used by the
port replicator?

If it's plugging into the same place as the power brick, it would keep the
built-in battery charged up, so I'm guessing it connects somewhere else.

You could try the group comp.sys.laptops as there seems to be more activity,
and perhaps more expertese on general topics such as batteries.

hth,

Chip

news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> The long-charge battery is a flat thing, a battery, about the foot
> print of the laptop that allows 8-10 hours of use on battery. You plug
> it intothe machine with your smaller installed battery stil inside the
> laptop. To charge you plug the long life battery in and both batteroes
> are charged. The only problemis that the laptop now only runs on
> battery with the long-lie battery. The installed battery is dead. That
> answer the questions? I may have drained the installed batteries but
> never for very long. I sense this long life battery did something. I
> am just wondering what and if I canfix the short term batteries?
>
> (E-Mail Removed) (Nick) wrote in message
> news:<(E-Mail Removed). com>...
>> I hooked up an N-charge (Saphion technology) 8-hour battery for a
>> couple of long-haul plane trips, and, later, when I went back to using
>> the usual two-hour IBM lithium-ion installed battery, I found that it
>> no longer worked -- at all. I tried a back up battery, it worked. But
>> then, as a test, I hooked up the N-charge battery and ran it and when
>> I was done, again, the IBM battery was dead and not revivable, if that
>> is a word. Questions: Does the N-charge kill the IBM battery? IS this
>> a matter of the N-charge being tooclose to the IBM battery or simply
>> running the charge through it? Is it possible to bring the IBM
>> batteries back to life? Or have I just learned an expensive lesson?

Thinkpad R32 Ultrabay Problem Dick IBM Thinkpad 0 02-06-2007 11:39 AM
an Thinkpad R32 problem sjia Laptops 1 11-27-2006 11:50 PM
How long should I expect battery life on R32? MBNOSPAMEVERMORE@home.com IBM Thinkpad 0 06-02-2005 11:41 PM
R32 battery life Nicholas A. Prey▀ IBM Thinkpad 2 05-09-2004 02:33 AM
I need an external 10-hour battery pad device for an R32! Nick IBM Thinkpad 0 05-01-2004 04:22 PM