R50 battery won't charge

knitwitchzone@gmail.com

I'm working with an IBM R50 that suddenly stopped charging the battery.
I just got a brand new battery that came out of the box at 48% charged
and now the machine won't recharge any further. Running on just the
AC adapter, when I check the battery status, I've got averaging around
12.0 V but no amperage and the display is not showing anything on the
charge completion time. I'll have to check what I get when I'm using
the docking station. (NOTE: the adapter's label says I should have
16.0V - 4.5 A output) The machine won't charge either this new one or
my old battery, but will power the machine fime for operation.

Today, I called a local computer repair place who said that it sounded
like some sort of problem with the internal charger that is tied in
with the motherboard and thus is not cost-effective to repair/replace.
I guess I just wanted a second opinion since that sounded a little
weird to me.

I need to use the battery to have the laptop portable and for now am
watching it to see if it discharges any while on AC power, but so far
it's still holding charge at least. I'd like to try some other way to
charge the battery but don't know how I should go about doing that. I'm
looking into universal chargers, but don't get how it will connect to
the funky shaped battery connections for the R50. Any suggestions are
greatly appreciated as I am falling behind quick on a lot of work while
I'm trying to sort this out...

Woody

The output of the charger measures about 18 volts with a multimeter. Try
another charger. Don't understand your statement on the power plug as it is
a standard power plug. RS makes a universal charger that has all the
different size plugs and voltage selections. See if the computer will try
another charger for a fee.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> I'm working with an IBM R50 that suddenly stopped charging the battery.
> I just got a brand new battery that came out of the box at 48% charged
> and now the machine won't recharge any further. Running on just the
> AC adapter, when I check the battery status, I've got averaging around
> 12.0 V but no amperage and the display is not showing anything on the
> charge completion time. I'll have to check what I get when I'm using
> the docking station. (NOTE: the adapter's label says I should have
> 16.0V - 4.5 A output) The machine won't charge either this new one or
> my old battery, but will power the machine fime for operation.
>
> Today, I called a local computer repair place who said that it sounded
> like some sort of problem with the internal charger that is tied in
> with the motherboard and thus is not cost-effective to repair/replace.
> I guess I just wanted a second opinion since that sounded a little
> weird to me.
>
> I need to use the battery to have the laptop portable and for now am
> watching it to see if it discharges any while on AC power, but so far
> it's still holding charge at least. I'd like to try some other way to
> charge the battery but don't know how I should go about doing that. I'm
> looking into universal chargers, but don't get how it will connect to
> the funky shaped battery connections for the R50. Any suggestions are
> greatly appreciated as I am falling behind quick on a lot of work while
> I'm trying to sort this out...

Chani

Well after running for a while on the direct laptop AC adapter, the
battery continued to discharge down to 8% even though the machine
seemed to recognize that it was being powered by AC (showing the plug
icon on the menu bar). I've since purchased an IBM charger that will
charge the batteries for me externally and that should be coming in
soon, so I can at least charge the batteries seperately to have them
ready for use.

I don't quite understand which "power plug" your referring to or what
you mean by "try another charger for a fee"... The AC adapter is the
IBM one that plugs directly into back of the laptop. I also have
another power plug that goes with the docking station and has a
completely different connection/port type than the laptop adapter,
though I haven't checked it's specs for voltage and amperage yet.

Woody wrote:
> The output of the charger measures about 18 volts with a multimeter. Try
> another charger. Don't understand your statement on the power plug as it is
> a standard power plug. RS makes a universal charger that has all the
> different size plugs and voltage selections. See if the computer will try
> another charger for a fee.
>

> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> > I'm working with an IBM R50 that suddenly stopped charging the battery.
> > I just got a brand new battery that came out of the box at 48% charged
> > and now the machine won't recharge any further. Running on just the
> > AC adapter, when I check the battery status, I've got averaging around
> > 12.0 V but no amperage and the display is not showing anything on the
> > charge completion time. I'll have to check what I get when I'm using
> > the docking station. (NOTE: the adapter's label says I should have
> > 16.0V - 4.5 A output) The machine won't charge either this new one or
> > my old battery, but will power the machine fime for operation.
> >
> > Today, I called a local computer repair place who said that it sounded
> > like some sort of problem with the internal charger that is tied in
> > with the motherboard and thus is not cost-effective to repair/replace.
> > I guess I just wanted a second opinion since that sounded a little
> > weird to me.
> >
> > I need to use the battery to have the laptop portable and for now am
> > watching it to see if it discharges any while on AC power, but so far
> > it's still holding charge at least. I'd like to try some other way to
> > charge the battery but don't know how I should go about doing that. I'm
> > looking into universal chargers, but don't get how it will connect to
> > the funky shaped battery connections for the R50. Any suggestions are
> > greatly appreciated as I am falling behind quick on a lot of work while
> > I'm trying to sort this out...

Chani

Turns out that the new battery may be defective as it will not charge
on the charger base either, but the original battery did just fine.
I'll have to observe more to see if the PC will maintain the charge or
not.

I'm begining to suspect bad cables or connections in the power
linkages.