Radeon 9800 in SN41G2

Arto V

Does anyone have any expirience having radeon 9800 pro or nonpro in Shuttle?
Heat problems?
Does´t need alot of "juice" from the psu?
Tell me all

JT

I have a Shuttle SB61G2 3.0 GHz with a ATI AIW 9800 Pro. The system would
not power up with the 200 watt power supply that came with the Shuttle. I am
currently using a standard 350 watt ATX power supply to get it to work. The
power supply sits on top of the Shuttle with the case cover removed. I am
waiting for Shuttle to hopefully come out with a better power supply.

"Arto V" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bh42r5$2kgu$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone have any expirience having radeon 9800 pro or nonpro in

Shuttle?
> Heat problems?
> Does´t need alot of "juice" from the psu?
> Tell me all

Arto V

Sh*t thats not good, i ordered all ready 9800 nonpro card for my self.
I was hoping it would´t consume more power than 9700pro. Those cards i have
heard working with this 200w psu.

bob smith

I have the Radeon 9800np that I installed the pro bios to in my SN42G2 and
everything is working fine with the 200watt power supply. But my box does
seem to run a little warmer but I am guess that is due to the summer months,
not the video card.

_Doc_
"Arto V" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bh42r5$2kgu$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone have any expirience having radeon 9800 pro or nonpro in

Shuttle?
> Heat problems?
> Does´t need alot of "juice" from the psu?
> Tell me all

Arto V

Oh, thats great news. Im keeping my fingers crossed.

Did the pro bios help much?
What brand card do you have?

Allen

"JT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:lpIZa.26560$(E-Mail Removed):

> I have a Shuttle SB61G2 3.0 GHz with a ATI AIW 9800 Pro. The system
> would not power up with the 200 watt power supply that came with the
> Shuttle. I am currently using a standard 350 watt ATX power supply to
> get it to work. The power supply sits on top of the Shuttle with the
> case cover removed. I am waiting for Shuttle to hopefully come out
> with a better power supply.
>
> "Arto V" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bh42r5$2kgu$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Does anyone have any expirience having radeon 9800 pro or nonpro in

> Shuttle?
>> Heat problems?
>> Does´t need alot of "juice" from the psu?
>> Tell me all

I have a SN45G, AMD 3000+ with an ATI 9800 pro. Seems to run fine but the
power supply is very warm.

JT

The system woks fine with the ATI AIW 8500DV. The AIW 9800 Pro just pushed
it over the edge.

My system specs:
SB61G2
P4 3.0 GHz 800 FSB
1 GB Kingston HyperX (2 x 512)
200 GB Maxtor hard drive
TDK 440N DVD/CD RW
YE-Data 7 in 1 media RW
ATI AIW 9800 Pro

"Arto V" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bh83e8$oo2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Sh*t thats not good, i ordered all ready 9800 nonpro card for my self.
> I was hoping it would´t consume more power than 9700pro. Those cards i

have
> heard working with this 200w psu.

Darthy

Yeah... but the P4 needs the 12volt rail, which - I believe is what
the Video card uses for extra power.... while AMD (SN41G2) systems are
heavy into the 3volt rails.

Of course... I'm looking for those who are using the fx5900 with the
SN41G2 board & PSU...

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 23:27:43 GMT, "JT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The system woks fine with the ATI AIW 8500DV. The AIW 9800 Pro just pushed
>it over the edge.
>
>My system specs:
>SB61G2
>P4 3.0 GHz 800 FSB
>1 GB Kingston HyperX (2 x 512)
>200 GB Maxtor hard drive
>TDK 440N DVD/CD RW
>YE-Data 7 in 1 media RW
>ATI AIW 9800 Pro
>
>"Arto V" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:bh83e8$oo2$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Sh*t thats not good, i ordered all ready 9800 nonpro card for my self.
>> I was hoping it would´t consume more power than 9700pro. Those cards i

>have
>> heard working with this 200w psu.

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!

Dennis Roark

"JT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:8xVZa.32191$(E-Mail Removed):

> After speaking with tech support they said they have had problems with
> the ACME power supplies and ATI video cards. Tech support directed me
> to the US Shuttle site to get a RMA so they can replace my ACME power
> supply with one made by a company called Enhanced. Hope it works but I
> still believe that a 300 watt ps would be better.
>
> "Arto V" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bh42r5$2kgu$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Does anyone have any expirience having radeon 9800 pro or nonpro in

> Shuttle?
>> Heat problems?
>> Does´t need alot of "juice" from the psu?
>> Tell me all

It just seems reasonable that if you want to use a high power separate
video card, with a GPU that may have even more transistors than your CPU
and produce a great deal of heat, that these mini boxes are not the way
to go. They are great when you use the onboard video. But when adding
a separate "gamer's" video card, I would go with a mid tower, a good
power supply, and plenty of air flow to cool everything. Shuttle makes
some fine full size ATX or microATX motherboards that are excellent in a
larger case. I'm not ragging on Shuttle, I have one of their boards and
love it; and we just purchased a few hundred of the mini-boxes for
student labs. But the small ones and a full powered video card are just
not a good match, in my opinion.

Allen

Dennis Roark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Xns93D5E6A4B663Ddenroearthlinknet@207.217.77. 26:

> "JT" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:8xVZa.32191$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> After speaking with tech support they said they have had problems
>> with the ACME power supplies and ATI video cards. Tech support
>> directed me to the US Shuttle site to get a RMA so they can replace
>> my ACME power supply with one made by a company called Enhanced. Hope
>> it works but I still believe that a 300 watt ps would be better.
>>
>> "Arto V" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:bh42r5$2kgu$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Does anyone have any expirience having radeon 9800 pro or nonpro in

>> Shuttle?
>>> Heat problems?
>>> Does´t need alot of "juice" from the psu?
>>> Tell me all

Some people prefer the ACME power supplies over the Enhance. Some of the
Enhance models had problems and failed right away. I have the newer
version of the Enhance, model 2002 I believe. That one seems to be ok.
It's the quietest power supply I have had in a Shuttle

> It just seems reasonable that if you want to use a high power separate
> video card, with a GPU that may have even more transistors than your
> CPU and produce a great deal of heat, that these mini boxes are not
> the way to go. They are great when you use the onboard video. But
> when adding a separate "gamer's" video card, I would go with a mid
> tower, a good power supply, and plenty of air flow to cool everything.
> Shuttle makes some fine full size ATX or microATX motherboards that
> are excellent in a larger case. I'm not ragging on Shuttle, I have
> one of their boards and love it; and we just purchased a few hundred
> of the mini-boxes for student labs. But the small ones and a full
> powered video card are just not a good match, in my opinion.

They are definately not for everyone. They're great if you're a gamer
and going to LAN parties or have space constraints. The last model I got
(SN45G) does not have on board video so it was intened that you use a
seperate AGP card. You can make them as powerful as a full size PC, you
just can't stuff a lot of things inside. No space.

SN41G2 Radeon 9700 Mike Bittel Shuttle 1 02-28-2004 02:46 PM
SN41G2 and 9800 Pro Skallywag Shuttle 2 11-23-2003 04:10 PM
Radeon 9800 Pro vs AIW 9800 J.Clarke ATI 9 10-15-2003 04:25 PM
Radeon 9800 Pro vs Radeon 9800 Richard ATI 6 09-20-2003 07:31 PM
Radeon 9800 vs. 9800 Pro cards Davek ATI 10 08-25-2003 05:15 PM