Radeon Mobility 9600 not a Radeon?

khobar

Hi folks,

I just received a Jetway Radeon M-9600 AGP card 96MXAT128C) to replace an
ATI 9600 AIW (moved the AIW to a different system) and I'm a bit puzzled
that the new card is identified as being a Fire GL T2/T2e rather than a
Radeon.

Also puzzling is that the Catalyst 5.12 drivers downloaded from ATI would
not install (Error in INF - no video driver found). I thought perhaps the
problem was that the card really was a Fire GL T2/T2e, so I downloaded the
appropriate drivers for that card. Same error!

Anyway, can someone shed some light on the Jetway M-9600? It's got Radeon
plastered all over the place - even the driver disk.

Thanks in advance,

Paul Nixon

Augustus

> Anyway, can someone shed some light on the Jetway M-9600? It's got Radeon
> plastered all over the place - even the driver disk.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul Nixon

You need to download the Mobility Radeon drivers...under the Notebooks with
ATI Graphics when you go to choose the type of Radeon drivers

khobar

"Augustus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > Anyway, can someone shed some light on the Jetway M-9600? It's got

Radeon
> > plastered all over the place - even the driver disk.
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > Paul Nixon

> You need to download the Mobility Radeon drivers...under the Notebooks

with
> ATI Graphics when you go to choose the type of Radeon drivers

Thanks. The OS is Win2K and, apparently, ATI no longer provides the 5.12
driver in the Win2K "Notebooks with ATI graphics" section. However, I'm not
really sure I need it - the video card seems to be working quite well as
tested against a similar system running an Nvidia 6200.

Paul Nixon

Benjamin Gawert

khobar schrieb:

> I just received a Jetway Radeon M-9600 AGP card 96MXAT128C) to replace an
> ATI 9600 AIW (moved the AIW to a different system) and I'm a bit puzzled
> that the new card is identified as being a Fire GL T2/T2e rather than a
> Radeon.

Strange. The FireGL T2 is basically a Radeon 9600 with some additional
features and better OpenGL drivers, but FireGL cards are only made by
ATI and not by any other board makers...

> Also puzzling is that the Catalyst 5.12 drivers downloaded from ATI would
> not install (Error in INF - no video driver found). I thought perhaps the
> problem was that the card really was a Fire GL T2/T2e, so I downloaded the
> appropriate drivers for that card. Same error!

Even more strange. If neither the ATI Catalyst or the Unified FireGL
driver work, then it's very likely that something is wrong with this card...

> Anyway, can someone shed some light on the Jetway M-9600? It's got Radeon
> plastered all over the place - even the driver disk.

Well, the GPU initialization from the firmware chip decides if the GPU
identifes itself as a Radeon or a FireGL. If this initialization fails,
the card might id itself wrongly. This can be caused by a defect.

As I said FireGL cards are only made by ATI itself. The PCB is red btw.
So there are three possibilities:
- you got a real ATI FireGL T2 which more or less errorneously got put
in the wrong box -> keep it
- the card is defective and due to this defect also identifies itself
wrongly -> bring it back
- the card is a falsificate (yes, there are falsificates of FireGL
cards) -> bring it back

BTW: What has this to do with "Radeon Mobility"? A Radeon Mobility is a
notebook GPU and usually not found on AGP gfx cards...

Benjamin

J. Clarke

Benjamin Gawert wrote:

> khobar schrieb:
>
>> I just received a Jetway Radeon M-9600 AGP card 96MXAT128C) to replace an
>> ATI 9600 AIW (moved the AIW to a different system) and I'm a bit puzzled
>> that the new card is identified as being a Fire GL T2/T2e rather than a
>> Radeon.

> Strange. The FireGL T2 is basically a Radeon 9600 with some additional
> features and better OpenGL drivers, but FireGL cards are only made by
> ATI and not by any other board makers...
>
>> Also puzzling is that the Catalyst 5.12 drivers downloaded from ATI would
>> not install (Error in INF - no video driver found). I thought perhaps the
>> problem was that the card really was a Fire GL T2/T2e, so I downloaded
>> the appropriate drivers for that card. Same error!

> Even more strange. If neither the ATI Catalyst or the Unified FireGL
> driver work, then it's very likely that something is wrong with this
> card...
>
>> Anyway, can someone shed some light on the Jetway M-9600? It's got Radeon
>> plastered all over the place - even the driver disk.

> Well, the GPU initialization from the firmware chip decides if the GPU
> identifes itself as a Radeon or a FireGL. If this initialization fails,
> the card might id itself wrongly. This can be caused by a defect.
>
> As I said FireGL cards are only made by ATI itself. The PCB is red btw.
> So there are three possibilities:
> - you got a real ATI FireGL T2 which more or less errorneously got put
> in the wrong box -> keep it
> - the card is defective and due to this defect also identifies itself
> wrongly -> bring it back
> - the card is a falsificate (yes, there are falsificates of FireGL
> cards) -> bring it back
>
> BTW: What has this to do with "Radeon Mobility"? A Radeon Mobility is a
> notebook GPU and usually not found on AGP gfx cards...

The board he's talking about has the Radeon Mobility 9600 on it for some
reason.

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate

Mirko

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/akiba...bilityfgl.html

I can't read the text, but this seems to be a rather "exotic" graphics card.

"Benjamin Gawert" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> khobar schrieb:
>
>> I just received a Jetway Radeon M-9600 AGP card 96MXAT128C) to replace an
>> ATI 9600 AIW (moved the AIW to a different system) and I'm a bit puzzled
>> that the new card is identified as being a Fire GL T2/T2e rather than a
>> Radeon.

> Strange. The FireGL T2 is basically a Radeon 9600 with some additional
> features and better OpenGL drivers, but FireGL cards are only made by ATI
> and not by any other board makers...
>
>> Also puzzling is that the Catalyst 5.12 drivers downloaded from ATI would
>> not install (Error in INF - no video driver found). I thought perhaps the
>> problem was that the card really was a Fire GL T2/T2e, so I downloaded
>> the
>> appropriate drivers for that card. Same error!

> Even more strange. If neither the ATI Catalyst or the Unified FireGL
> driver work, then it's very likely that something is wrong with this
> card...
>
>> Anyway, can someone shed some light on the Jetway M-9600? It's got Radeon
>> plastered all over the place - even the driver disk.

> Well, the GPU initialization from the firmware chip decides if the GPU
> identifes itself as a Radeon or a FireGL. If this initialization fails,
> the card might id itself wrongly. This can be caused by a defect.
>
> As I said FireGL cards are only made by ATI itself. The PCB is red btw. So
> there are three possibilities:
> - you got a real ATI FireGL T2 which more or less errorneously got put in
> the wrong box -> keep it
> - the card is defective and due to this defect also identifies itself
> wrongly -> bring it back
> - the card is a falsificate (yes, there are falsificates of FireGL
> cards) -> bring it back
>
> BTW: What has this to do with "Radeon Mobility"? A Radeon Mobility is a
> notebook GPU and usually not found on AGP gfx cards...
>
> Benjamin

Mobility X600 and Radeon Mobility 9700?? NYC XYZ Laptops 0 03-23-2005 08:22 PM
Mobility Radeon 9600 Asestar ATI 2 02-24-2004 09:18 PM
Dell Inspiron 8600 with Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro!! Robert Reenders Dell 0 12-12-2003 09:50 PM
Does CATALYST 3.8 support MOBILITY Radeon 9600 officially ? FrankE ATI 1 10-09-2003 06:28 PM
ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 i'm_tired ATI 0 07-26-2003 02:54 AM