RAID 0 configuration on Platinium 975X

Tommy57

Hello,

I've a big problem with my MSI 975x Platinium.
The MSI support told me to update my bios in order to fix some stability
problems.
I update the bios with the latest version (7.40) but now, I'm unable to
restart the computer even if the bios update works fine.
My C:\ is build on RAID 0. But since the update impossible to access to the
raid utility from the bios!!! I can't understand why!!!

So I can't set up my raid 0 with my 2 hdd. And each time the computer try to
boot, I get the message "no system disk..."

Did someone know how to solve this issue?

Thanks for your great help
Best Regards,
Tommy

lkboop

Tommy57 wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've a big problem with my MSI 975x Platinium.
> The MSI support told me to update my bios in order to fix some stability
> problems.
> I update the bios with the latest version (7.40) but now, I'm unable to
> restart the computer even if the bios update works fine.
> My C:\ is build on RAID 0. But since the update impossible to access to the
> raid utility from the bios!!! I can't understand why!!!
>
> So I can't set up my raid 0 with my 2 hdd. And each time the computer try to
> boot, I get the message "no system disk..."
>
> Did someone know how to solve this issue?
>
> Thanks for your great help
> Best Regards,
> Tommy

Sure do, when you updated your Bios and you restarted your computer
everything in the bios was reset to the default value. In simple terms
your system RAID 0 array is trash. You need to do a clean install of the
operating system and if you have data backed up you will be OK. Since
you have a RAID 0 array there is no redundancy.

The only way you might have avoided and I say might have is to hold the
delete key down the entire time the system was posting and this will
take you to the bios directly. This will allow you to fix the items in
the bios so that it will try to boot your Raid array. What usually
happens is after you fix the bios and reboot; the system will go to the
point of starting Windows and then complain about the boot loader
missing. This is no big deal. This can be fixed in the repair console
with the command FIXMBR.

What you are reporting is perfectly normal after BIOS update and not
knowing exactly what you are doing. I probably have the record for the
most number of installs of Windows XP in one day as the result of
exactly what you are reporting.

Good Luck

Tommy57

"lkboop" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
45f62529$0$28133$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tommy57 wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've a big problem with my MSI 975x Platinium.
>> The MSI support told me to update my bios in order to fix some stability
>> problems.
>> I update the bios with the latest version (7.40) but now, I'm unable to
>> restart the computer even if the bios update works fine.
>> My C:\ is build on RAID 0. But since the update impossible to access to
>> the raid utility from the bios!!! I can't understand why!!!
>>
>> So I can't set up my raid 0 with my 2 hdd. And each time the computer try
>> to boot, I get the message "no system disk..."
>>
>> Did someone know how to solve this issue?
>>
>> Thanks for your great help
>> Best Regards,
>> Tommy

> Sure do, when you updated your Bios and you restarted your computer
> everything in the bios was reset to the default value. In simple terms
> your system RAID 0 array is trash. You need to do a clean install of the
> operating system and if you have data backed up you will be OK. Since you
> have a RAID 0 array there is no redundancy.
>
> The only way you might have avoided and I say might have is to hold the
> delete key down the entire time the system was posting and this will take
> you to the bios directly. This will allow you to fix the items in the
> bios so that it will try to boot your Raid array. What usually happens is
> after you fix the bios and reboot; the system will go to the point of
> starting Windows and then complain about the boot loader missing. This is
> no big deal. This can be fixed in the repair console with the command
> FIXMBR.
>
> What you are reporting is perfectly normal after BIOS update and not
> knowing exactly what you are doing. I probably have the record for the
> most number of installs of Windows XP in one day as the result of exactly
> what you are reporting.
>
> Good Luck

Thanks for your answer!

My first problem is that since I updated the bios, I cannot access to the
RAID utilities. That mean, even if I would like to reinstall the OS, I could
not do it because I've first to set up a physicaly RAID0.
You know what I mean? Normaly, during the POST, you've a option (menu) to
select your drive to build your RAID before installing your OS. But I can't
access to this menu.

Second, do you think that if I could reconfigure my RAID0 that he will
reboot normaly on my installed OS?. So my idea was to update the bios
because MSI told me to do it because of some trouble like the memory speed
for example. So do you thing that if I reconfigure my RAID0 that it will
automatically recognize my OS on both hdd and boot correctly?

What do you mean with : "This is no big deal. This can be fixed in the
repair console with the command FIXMBR." ?

Do you thing I could only do a "repair" in order to keep all my settings and
programs?

Thanks for your help
Tommy

lkboop

Tommy57 wrote:
> "lkboop" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
> 45f62529$0$28133$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Tommy57 wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I've a big problem with my MSI 975x Platinium.
>>> The MSI support told me to update my bios in order to fix some stability
>>> problems.
>>> I update the bios with the latest version (7.40) but now, I'm unable to
>>> restart the computer even if the bios update works fine.
>>> My C:\ is build on RAID 0. But since the update impossible to access to
>>> the raid utility from the bios!!! I can't understand why!!!
>>>
>>> So I can't set up my raid 0 with my 2 hdd. And each time the computer try
>>> to boot, I get the message "no system disk..."
>>>
>>> Did someone know how to solve this issue?
>>>
>>> Thanks for your great help
>>> Best Regards,
>>> Tommy

>> Sure do, when you updated your Bios and you restarted your computer
>> everything in the bios was reset to the default value. In simple terms
>> your system RAID 0 array is trash. You need to do a clean install of the
>> operating system and if you have data backed up you will be OK. Since you
>> have a RAID 0 array there is no redundancy.
>>
>> The only way you might have avoided and I say might have is to hold the
>> delete key down the entire time the system was posting and this will take
>> you to the bios directly. This will allow you to fix the items in the
>> bios so that it will try to boot your Raid array. What usually happens is
>> after you fix the bios and reboot; the system will go to the point of
>> starting Windows and then complain about the boot loader missing. This is
>> no big deal. This can be fixed in the repair console with the command
>> FIXMBR.
>>
>> What you are reporting is perfectly normal after BIOS update and not
>> knowing exactly what you are doing. I probably have the record for the
>> most number of installs of Windows XP in one day as the result of exactly
>> what you are reporting.
>>
>> Good Luck

> Thanks for your answer!
>
> My first problem is that since I updated the bios, I cannot access to the
> RAID utilities.

You can not access it because it doesn't exist yet.

That mean, even if I would like to reinstall the OS, I could
> not do it because I've first to set up a physicaly RAID0.

YES and to do this you have to enable it in the BIOS

> You know what I mean? Normaly, during the POST, you've a option (menu) to
> select your drive to build your RAID before installing your OS. But I can't
> access to this menu.
>
> Second, do you think that if I could reconfigure my RAID0 that he will
> reboot normaly on my installed OS?. So my idea was to update the bios
> because MSI told me to do it because of some trouble like the memory speed
> for example. So do you thing that if I reconfigure my RAID0 that it will
> automatically recognize my OS on both hdd and boot correctly?
>
> What do you mean with : "This is no big deal. This can be fixed in the
> repair console with the command FIXMBR." ?
>
> Do you thing I could only do a "repair" in order to keep all my settings and
> programs?
>
> Thanks for your help
> Tommy

That is what I was telling you, your settings in the bios are history.
You need to go to page 3-14 in your manual and study it. What I think
you want is "SATA only". Not sure of the exact configuration but this
where your problem is SATA is some how disabled. Also when you get the
drives arranged how you want them. Then you need to go to page 3-7
Advanced bios features and set boot priority. If you have done
everything correctly so far, under boot priority one of your options
will be RAID Array or some such wording, this is what you want. That is
as your boot disk.

Save and exit the bios and reboot and press what ever key it takes to
enter the RAID set up (TAB or F10 usually) Set it up and away you go.

There is nothing to reconfigure, you RAID Array is gone, wiped out,
history. If it came up said no bootable disk or something like that
there is nothing to fix or repair. If it came up and said NDLDR missing
your array could be repaired with the repair console on the Windows
installation disk.

What you had was a stripe array, this is why you DON'T run stripe
arrays unless you have EVERYTHING backed up unto another drive.

If you would have had a mirror array, you could have recovered it
rebuilt and synced it.

Good Luck

Tommy57

"lkboop" <(E-Mail Removed)> a écrit dans le message de news:
45f6a824$0$16659$(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]

> features and set boot priority. If you have done everything correctly so
> far, under boot priority one of your options will be RAID Array or some
> such wording, this is what you want. That is as your boot disk.
>
> Save and exit the bios and reboot and press what ever key it takes to
> enter the RAID set up (TAB or F10 usually) Set it up and away you go.
>
> There is nothing to reconfigure, you RAID Array is gone, wiped out,
> history. If it came up said no bootable disk or something like that there
> is nothing to fix or repair. If it came up and said NDLDR missing your
> array could be repaired with the repair console on the Windows
> installation disk.
>
> What you had was a stripe array, this is why you DON'T run stripe arrays
> unless you have EVERYTHING backed up unto another drive.
>
> If you would have had a mirror array, you could have recovered it rebuilt

Hi lkboop,

thanks for all the effort you make. I could solve my problem by changing the
configuration like this

1. Load Optimized Defaults -> YES

2. menu Advanced Bios Features / Full Screen Logo Display -> Disabled

3. menu PnP/PCI Configuration / Init Display First -> PCIEx

4. menu Integrated Peripherals /

Onboard JMB361 Mode -> Disabled

Onboard Intel Lan Boot Rom -> Disabled

Sous-menu IDE Devices Configuration / PCI IDE BusMaster -> Enabled

Sous-menu SATA Devices Configuration / SATA Mode -> RAID

5. Save & Exit Setup -> YES

When the computer has reboot, he found the RAID0 automaticaly and start my
OS.

Thanks for your help

See you,

Tommy

MS-7246 975X Platinum with PCI/PCI-E RAID Controller bal-andreas.p MSI 2 02-12-2007 08:33 PM
MSI 915P Neo2 Platinium Wake on lan Joseph Paterson MSI 0 01-17-2005 07:55 AM
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinium: IDE devices not recognized MikeCh MSI 9 11-30-2004 08:34 PM
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinium BF MSI 8 11-23-2004 02:22 PM
P4C800-E Deluxe and On-Board Firewire-prolblem w/SB Audigy ZS Platinium Pro Einar B. Gilberg Asus 3 01-02-2004 05:18 PM