RAID 1 installation for GA 965P S3, help!

SoundMan

RAID 1 installation for GA-965P-S3

ok, i have 2 160gb hdd plugged into the gigabyte sata ports, the purpl
ones.

i have presses "Del" and setup the bios to use the hdds as raid ones.

i have pressed "Ctrl-G" to setup the raid in bios.

then reboot to install windows, get to the bit where you press F6 t
install 3rd part drivers, then press "S" to specify them, then put i
floppy with the drivers from the CD (and tried the drivers from th
website), but it cant detect them on the floppy.

you can hear it wirrrring away, but it just comes back and says

"please insert the disk labled manufacture supplied hardware suppor
disk in
to A:"

i dont know how to make it work. i want to install XP onto a RAID
array, thats all

--
SoundMa
SoundMan's Profile: http://www.futurehardware.in/member.php?userid=59

Future Hardware - http://www.futurehardware.i

SoundMan

RAID 1 installation for GA-965P-S3

so i can now intstall windows, but

then reboot to install windows, get to the bit where you press F6 t
install 3rd part drivers, then press "S" to specify them, then put i
floppy with the drivers, use the 366 version drivers.

then i install windows, fine. it goes to reboot after install and teh
just after teh windows loading screen flashes up, it blue scree
quickly and then reboots.

dont know how to fix this....help. windows is installed but wont loa

--
SoundMa
SoundMan's Profile: http://www.futurehardware.in/member.php?userid=59
View this thread: http://www.futurehardware.in/showthread.php?t=56553

Future Hardware - http://www.futurehardware.i

Barry Watzman

The problem might not be related to the RAID array; I'd try using one of
your drives and doing a non-raid installation, just as a test (yes, it
will mean recreating the array later).

FWIW, I've tried RAID a few times and personally, it's a lot of trouble
for no benefit at all that I could truly detect.

SoundMan wrote:
> RAID 1 installation for GA-965P-S3
>
> so i can now intstall windows, but
>
> then reboot to install windows, get to the bit where you press F6 to
> install 3rd part drivers, then press "S" to specify them, then put in
> floppy with the drivers, use the 366 version drivers.
>
> then i install windows, fine. it goes to reboot after install and tehn
> just after teh windows loading screen flashes up, it blue screen
> quickly and then reboots.
>
> dont know how to fix this....help. windows is installed but wont load

SoundMan

thanks,

yea i have done that. i have installed windows onto just 1 hdd and i
worked 1st time! just dont know why it shouldnt work with the rai
array.

like i said before i have got to the point beforehand, where i have ha
windows installed onto the raid array, but it just wont load windows, i
does a short but decicive blue screen as you get to the windows loa
screen.

now the problem may be that the RAID drivers on the mobo CD had a fil
on it that didnt work. this file was the jgogo.sys file.

so i downloaded the latest drivers off the internet, but this had
jraid.sys file as corupted, i.e. i couldnt see anything wrong with it
but the computer didnt like that file.

so i couldnt use the whole of eighter the CD drivers or the interne
drivers.

so i made a floppy that had : graid_f , jraid , jraid.sys &
txtsetup.oem from the CD and took jgogo.sys from the interne
downloaded driver pack.

so this gave me a "hybrid" floppy of drivers that worked, in so much a
it allowed windows to be installed, so maybe it is this that could b
causeing a problem?

i dont know if thats a big factor, what do you think

--
SoundMa
SoundMan's Profile: http://www.futurehardware.in/member.php?userid=59
View this thread: http://www.futurehardware.in/showthread.php?t=56553

Future Hardware - http://www.futurehardware.i

jpsga

"SoundMan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> thanks,
>

> yea i have done that. i have installed windows onto just 1 hdd and it
> worked 1st time! just dont know why it shouldnt work with the raid
> array.
>
> like i said before i have got to the point beforehand, where i have had
> windows installed onto the raid array, but it just wont load windows, it
> does a short but decicive blue screen as you get to the windows load
> screen.
>
> now the problem may be that the RAID drivers on the mobo CD had a file
> on it that didnt work. this file was the jgogo.sys file.
>
> so i downloaded the latest drivers off the internet, but this had a
> jraid.sys file as corupted, i.e. i couldnt see anything wrong with it,
> but the computer didnt like that file.
>
> so i couldnt use the whole of eighter the CD drivers or the internet
> drivers.
>
> so i made a floppy that had : graid_f , jraid , jraid.sys &
> txtsetup.oem from the CD and took jgogo.sys from the internet
> downloaded driver pack.
>
> so this gave me a "hybrid" floppy of drivers that worked, in so much as
> it allowed windows to be installed, so maybe it is this that could be
> causeing a problem?
>
> i dont know if thats a big factor, what do you think?
>

> --
> SoundMan
> SoundMan's Profile: http://www.futurehardware.in/member.php?userid=592
> View this thread: http://www.futurehardware.in/showthread.php?t=565531
>
> Future Hardware - http://www.futurehardware.in

That board does not seem to support a RAID function
JPS

fondue

"jpsga" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
<snip>

>> i dont know if thats a big factor, what do you think?

Soundman, if you are getting corrupted files, download them again. Generally
not a good idea to mix driver versions

Get a new floppy disk also. I have had plenty of problems with 3.5 in disks
with a few bad sectors.

>> --
>>

> That board does not seem to support a RAID function
> JPS

Yes it does using the gigabyte controller.

Barry Watzman

I'm pretty sure it does. The chipset uses ICH8, which doesn't support
Raid, but the board has an auxiliary RAID controller chip on it made by
JMicron (Gigabyte calls it a Gigabyte chip, but it's really the JMicron
chip).

jpsga wrote:

> That board does not seem to support a RAID function
> JPS

SoundMan

eureka !

downloaded the drivers from the uk site, instead of the us one, and no
it works, it installed with no problem at all. how strange.

the cd drivers definatly didnt work, but i managed to find some tha
did, yay. thanks 4 the help lads!

http://uk.giga-byte.com/Support/Moth...er&FileID=2790

these drivers worked flawlessly for me.

i cant beleive that gigabyte would ship drivers that dont work! no
good practice