RAID 5EE Questions

Paul Berezansky

Some questions on recovering a RAID.

We have an IBM NetFinity 7600 server with Win2K. The unit has a dual
channel SCSI RAID controller with two logical drives. One drive is a
two drive RAID 1 with the operating system. and the second drive is a 8
drive RAID 5EE with MSSQL and a database.

Two drives failed on the RAID 5EE, the controller is showing the status
as "compacted". My understanding is that with 5EE, even if two drives
fail then we should be able to recover.

Can anyone confirm this for me, I'm not sure if we should send the
drives for data recovery, or just buy replacements.

Paul Berezansky

Also:

The drives that failed are one of the main drives and the hot spare.