RAID Integrity Question

dale.huguenin@gmail.com

Hello, I have a question I am hoping that someone can help me with.
I have a small network and run 5 servers all RAID5. I would like to be
able to run software that will check the RAID integrity without having
to reboot the servers on a schedule (as I try to keep them up 24x7).
These servers host medical information and need to be accessible;
hence the question does anyone have an idea or worked with software
that will check the integrity of the RAID(s)??

Thank you,

Dale Huguenin
Network Administrator

at

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hello, I have a question I am hoping that someone can help me with.
> I have a small network and run 5 servers all RAID5. I would like to be
> able to run software that will check the RAID integrity without having
> to reboot the servers on a schedule (as I try to keep them up 24x7).
> These servers host medical information and need to be accessible;
> hence the question does anyone have an idea or worked with software
> that will check the integrity of the RAID(s)??
>
> Thank you,
>
> Dale Huguenin
> Network Administrator

I know that budgets can be tight in small businesses...
but my best suggestion to you is to deal with server
hardware that is designed for an environment like yours.

HP ProLiant servers with SmartArray controllers are
designed to run 24/7; the servers come with a utility
called Insight Manager that will notify you proactively
if a disk is degraded -- and will generate a support
ticket that will get HP to ship out a new drive for you,
and you don't have to wait for the old one to fail before
activating this pre-failure warranty. Lots of other nice
features as well.

You might want to check out the newsgroup for Compaq/HP
servers... low traffic, but really helpful people.