RAID on Intel BLKDP35DPM

Justin

I currently have a RAID 1 setup. Would I be able to add another drive
or two and get even more protection from a drive failure?I do have
backups of vital data... Looking into a TBU, but that's for another
newsgroup.

Anonymous

On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 00:41:24 -0500, Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I currently have a RAID 1 setup. Would I be able to add another drive
>or two and get even more protection from a drive failure?

RAID 5 or 10

http://download.intel.com/support/ch...b/manual70.pdf

Bob Bailin

"Anonymous" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) anoici.org...
> On Sun, 27 Jan 2008 00:41:24 -0500, Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>I currently have a RAID 1 setup. Would I be able to add another drive
>>or two and get even more protection from a drive failure?

> RAID 5 or 10
>
> http://download.intel.com/support/ch...b/manual70.pdf

No, the OP is referring to 3 or 4 drives all mirrorred to each other in
a RAID 1. Intel Matrix Storage Technology only allows for a single
pair of drives in a RAID 1. You can, however, install additional drives
as hot spares which will be used automatically in the event of a drive
failure. The benefit of this setup vs the cost of the additional drives is
basically not worth it. A RAID 10 would put all 4 drives to better
use without increasing your exposure to failure.

Nate Edel

Justin <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I currently have a RAID 1 setup. Would I be able to add another drive
> or two and get even more protection from a drive failure?I do have
> backups of vital data... Looking into a TBU, but that's for another
> newsgroup.

So far as I know, 3-way mirroring would only be possible with software.
It's uncommon to support it in hardware, and the ICH8R/9R definitely do not.

--
Nate Edel http://www.cubiclehermit.com/
preferred email |