Boozeman

Dear all,

I am going to buy a new server for my compny but I am undecided on what
RAID setuo to order.

Currently we have 3 disks in a raid 5 array, the salesman suggests 4
disks in 2 raid 1 arays (one disk for OS + 1 disk for database).

I was thinking on a 6 disk raid 5 + 1 setup to be safer.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

Fred

Bob Willard

Boozeman wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am going to buy a new server for my compny but I am undecided on
> what RAID setuo to order.
>
> Currently we have 3 disks in a raid 5 array, the salesman suggests 4
> disks in 2 raid 1 arays (one disk for OS + 1 disk for database).
>
> I was thinking on a 6 disk raid 5 + 1 setup to be safer.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> thanks,
>
> Fred

If you are concerned with the safety of your data, then RAID is the wrong
place to start. First, create and test a backup/restore procedure; then,
make sure the backup procedure is run frequently (usually nightly), and that
a copy is kept off-site.

Now that your data is safe, pick a RAID configuration based on performance
(and safety and cost). If daily backups leave too much fresh data exposed,
consider RAID6 with a hot spare HD; deploy 8 HDs as a 5+2+1 RAID6 set.

--
Cheers, Bob