ram compatiblity

Jack Tseng

It is very strange to me. MS-6553 supports DDR2100 or least 266mhz memory
bus. I tried to install
Infineon, 512MB, 64M x 64 SDRAM, PC2700U DRR333 CL2.5. I turned the power
on, the fan runs in 1/4 second then was stopped. I removed and no ram
installed. the fan runs fine.

Do you think Infineon simms is not compatibile with MS-6553 ? Which ram is
compatility with MS-6553.

Thanks!
Jack

Paul

Jack Tseng wrote:

> It is very strange to me. MS-6553 supports DDR2100 or least 266mhz memory
> bus. I tried to install
> Infineon, 512MB, 64M x 64 SDRAM, PC2700U DRR333 CL2.5. I turned the power
> on, the fan runs in 1/4 second then was stopped. I removed and no ram
> installed. the fan runs fine.
>
> Do you think Infineon simms is not compatibile with MS-6553 ? Which ram is
> compatility with MS-6553.
>
> Thanks!
> Jack

Think about it. In a 1/4 second, the hardware reset pulse is still
asserted on the motherboard. The processor hasn't even executed
any BIOS code yet. It sounds like a serious problem with the RAM,
such as the RAM was not fully seated in the socket (retention
arms closed), or the RAM module itself has a short circuit on
it.

1) Does the MS-6553 still work, with known good RAM in the socket ?
2) Has the motherboard ever worked properly in your presence ?
Or are you building it up for the first time, when these
symptoms showed up ? It could be that the motherboard is bad.
3) If you don't have any other RAM to test with, what response
do you get when you have only CPU, motherboard, and the
computer case speaker connected ? Do you get a "missing RAM"
beep code ? If you get no beep sound at all, when the RAM
and video card are missing, you have a problem with CPU,
motherboard, or power supply.

HTH,
Paul