Ram - mixing speeds

Doc

This machine I just got came with 512 megs of PC2700. (2x 256). I just
replaced it with 1 gig of PC3200 DDR 400 (2x512), which as I understand it
is faster. However, there sits half a gig of perfectly functional ram
unused. This particular board will hold up to 4 gigs. The 1 gig is dual
channel, not sure about the 512 meg set.

Is it true that if you mix speeds, the faster ram will only run as fast as
the slower ram? If so, would I be better off to run the 1 gig of PC3200, or
1.5 gigs of mixed PC3200 and PC2700?

Or, is it a bad idea to mix ram like that?

And/Or are there any fundamental flaws/blatant display of misunderstanding
in anything I've stated above?

Thanks.

Garrot

Doc wrote:
> This machine I just got came with 512 megs of PC2700. (2x 256). I just
> replaced it with 1 gig of PC3200 DDR 400 (2x512), which as I understand it
> is faster. However, there sits half a gig of perfectly functional ram
> unused. This particular board will hold up to 4 gigs. The 1 gig is dual
> channel, not sure about the 512 meg set.
>
> Is it true that if you mix speeds, the faster ram will only run as fast as
> the slower ram? If so, would I be better off to run the 1 gig of PC3200, or
> 1.5 gigs of mixed PC3200 and PC2700?
>
> Or, is it a bad idea to mix ram like that?
>
> And/Or are there any fundamental flaws/blatant display of misunderstanding
> in anything I've stated above?
>
> Thanks.

Mixing the ram will make all the ram run at the slowest speed. I would
just use the 1gb PC3200 and get another 1gb PC3200 later if you felt the
need. I went from 1gb to 2gb and barely noticed a difference. Going from
1gb to 1.5gb will not do much for you unless you are running something
that is really ram hungry. What cpu are you using?

rrodriguez83

Garrots right, you wont notice the speed difference at all...
unless your running a lot of processor intensive software like
photoshop or 3d studio max. I would leave that slot open for a upgrades
in the future...or...just sell off your old sticks and put it towards
the cost of another gig of 3200 memory.

"Garrot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsyFxg.240447$Mn5.67043@pd7tw3no...
> Doc wrote:

> > Is it true that if you mix speeds, the faster ram will only run as fast

as
> > the slower ram? If so, would I be better off to run the 1 gig of PC3200,

or
> > 1.5 gigs of mixed PC3200 and PC2700?

> Mixing the ram will make all the ram run at the slowest speed. I would
> just use the 1gb PC3200 and get another 1gb PC3200 later if you felt the
> need. I went from 1gb to 2gb and barely noticed a difference. Going from
> 1gb to 1.5gb will not do much for you unless you are running something
> that is really ram hungry. What cpu are you using?

P4 2.4 Gig Northwood according to CPU-Z-135.

Doc

"Doc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:UMMxg.3364$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...

> P4 2.4 Gig Northwood according to CPU-Z-135.

mPGA-478

DaveW

Mixing RAM is not a good idea. You runn into RAM stick timing problems.
And, yes, the system will only run as fast as the slowest RAM.

--
DaveW

----------------
"Doc" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:U%Exg.106$(E-Mail Removed) .net...
> This machine I just got came with 512 megs of PC2700. (2x 256). I just
> replaced it with 1 gig of PC3200 DDR 400 (2x512), which as I understand it
> is faster. However, there sits half a gig of perfectly functional ram
> unused. This particular board will hold up to 4 gigs. The 1 gig is dual
> channel, not sure about the 512 meg set.
>
> Is it true that if you mix speeds, the faster ram will only run as fast as
> the slower ram? If so, would I be better off to run the 1 gig of PC3200,
> or
> 1.5 gigs of mixed PC3200 and PC2700?
>
> Or, is it a bad idea to mix ram like that?
>
> And/Or are there any fundamental flaws/blatant display of misunderstanding
> in anything I've stated above?
>
> Thanks.

Garrot

Doc wrote:

> P4 2.4 Gig Northwood according to CPU-Z-135.

OK, that cpu is designed to run on a 200mhz FSB (400mhz double data
rate) which is what PC3200 is so you are better off to just use the
PC3200 ram and get another 1gb of PC32000 if you want more ram.

Puddin' Man

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 16:30:44 GMT, "Doc" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>"Garrot" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>newsyFxg.240447$Mn5.67043@pd7tw3no...
>> Doc wrote:

>> > Is it true that if you mix speeds, the faster ram will only run as fast

>as
>> > the slower ram? If so, would I be better off to run the 1 gig of PC3200,

>or
>> > 1.5 gigs of mixed PC3200 and PC2700?

>> Mixing the ram will make all the ram run at the slowest speed. I would
>> just use the 1gb PC3200 and get another 1gb PC3200 later if you felt the
>> need. I went from 1gb to 2gb and barely noticed a difference. Going from
>> 1gb to 1.5gb will not do much for you unless you are running something
>> that is really ram hungry. What cpu are you using?

>P4 2.4 Gig Northwood according to CPU-Z-135.

Check CPU-Z - Memory - Frequency. If it is running at 200mhz
(as I understand it), you have pc3200 max, and adding
pc2700 would slow overall mem speed.

If it is < 200 mhz, you need to figger why.