RAM on Shuttle mobo's

NickD

Hi all,
I think I already know the answer to this, but I'll check...

I have a PC with a shuttle SN41G2 motherboard and another with an FN51
mobo, and 2GB of RAM. Neither PC will start with the 1GB stick
installed on its own; both work fine with 2x512MB sticks installed.
They both complete the memory check and hang

So far, so simple. Now comes the weird part....
- when I install the 1GB stick alongside a 512MB stick, both will
start. However, they will only recognise 1GB total of RAM. Running a
memory diagnostic program shows no errors in the RAM.

My question is - do these motherboards support 1GB sticks of RAM? Was
it something that was enabled in a BIOS update that perhaps I need to
download? Because my understanding is that they both do/ should.

Thanks in advance.
Nick

NickD

> Hi all,
> I think I already know the answer to this, but I'll check...
>
> I have a PC with a shuttle SN41G2 motherboard and another with an FN51
> mobo, and 2GB of RAM. Neither PC will start with the 1GB stick
> installed on its own; both work fine with 2x512MB sticks installed.
> They both complete the memory check and hang

Sorry, that's SN41G2 PC with FN41 mobo and an FS51 mobo. Doh!

Nick

Dodgy

On 16 Nov 2006 08:34:21 -0800, "NickD" <(E-Mail Removed)>
waffled on about something:

>> Hi all,
>> I think I already know the answer to this, but I'll check...
>>
>> I have a PC with a shuttle SN41G2 motherboard and another with an FN51
>> mobo, and 2GB of RAM. Neither PC will start with the 1GB stick
>> installed on its own; both work fine with 2x512MB sticks installed.
>> They both complete the memory check and hang

>Sorry, that's SN41G2 PC with FN41 mobo and an FS51 mobo. Doh!
>
>Nick

I think you'll find they need to be in pairs.

That's why you get 1gig when you put the 1GB stick in with the 512GB
stick, it just detects them as a pair of 512's and give you 1GB total.

Try putting in 2 stick of 1GB.

Dodgy.
--
MUSHROOMS ARE THE OPIATE OF THE MOOSES