RAM upgrade on MS-6577 M-ATX Rev. 3.1 motherboard

joelvlugt@yahoo.com

I had 256MB of DDR PC3200 installed and wanted more. I thought I
found a good deal on ebay 2 sticks of 1GB DDR PC3200 made my NCP. Ad
stated that it was new. I install either or both of the sticks in
either or both of the slots and get a beep and the computer won't
start. Online chat with compaq (who made the 'puter) recommended BIOS
upgrade--didn't help. it still works with the original stick of RAM.
Any thoughts? Did I get bad RAM?

- Bobb -

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I had 256MB of DDR PC3200 installed and wanted more. I thought I
> found a good deal on ebay 2 sticks of 1GB DDR PC3200 made my NCP. Ad
> stated that it was new. I install either or both of the sticks in
> either or both of the slots and get a beep and the computer won't
> start. Online chat with compaq (who made the 'puter) recommended BIOS
> upgrade--didn't help. it still works with the original stick of RAM.
> Any thoughts? Did I get bad RAM?

From manual - PC supports PC2100 0r PC2700 unbuffered non-ECC ONLY.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...SeriesId=96300

HH

Uh, knowing what model Compaq might help.
HH

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>I had 256MB of DDR PC3200 installed and wanted more. I thought I
> found a good deal on ebay 2 sticks of 1GB DDR PC3200 made my NCP. Ad
> stated that it was new. I install either or both of the sticks in
> either or both of the slots and get a beep and the computer won't
> start. Online chat with compaq (who made the 'puter) recommended BIOS
> upgrade--didn't help. it still works with the original stick of RAM.
> Any thoughts? Did I get bad RAM?

joelvlugt@yahoo.com

it's a SR1010V.

HH

The proper RAM is listed here:

http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...SR1010V+Series

HH

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> it's a SR1010V.

joelvlugt@yahoo.com

That's what I've got and it doesn't work. That is the origin of my
question. I've got 2 sticks of 1GB PC3200 which should be
compatible. The question is why doesn't it work?

- Bobb -

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> That's what I've got and it doesn't work. That is the origin of my
> question. I've got 2 sticks of 1GB PC3200 which should be
> compatible. The question is why doesn't it work?

In my previous reply ( from HP site) and in the crucial link,
(
http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...SR1010V+Series
)
they both mention
PC 2-7-0-0 memory
not PC 3-2-0-0

So although the ebay guy said it would work , the HP box doesn't seem to
recognize it at all, right ?
go with PC2700

search google for " pc2700 pc3200 " and you'll find lots of others having
issues too.

Ben Myers

As with earlier types of DIMM memory, there are both high density (not many
chips per DIMM) and low density (lots of chips, usually 2x or 4x the number on a
DIMM of comparable size). The porblem could be caused by use of high density
PC3200 which the motherboard simply won't recognize. High density and low
density DIMMs often have different timings.

Just another spin on the problem... Ben Myers

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 19:54:10 -0400, "- Bobb -" <bobb@noemail.123> wrote:

><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) roups.com...
>> That's what I've got and it doesn't work. That is the origin of my
>> question. I've got 2 sticks of 1GB PC3200 which should be
>> compatible. The question is why doesn't it work?
>>

>In my previous reply ( from HP site) and in the crucial link,
>(
>http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...SR1010V+Series
>)
>they both mention
>PC 2-7-0-0 memory
>not PC 3-2-0-0
>
>So although the ebay guy said it would work , the HP box doesn't seem to
>recognize it at all, right ?
>go with PC2700
>
>search google for " pc2700 pc3200 " and you'll find lots of others having
>issues too.

HH

I thought you said you had Kingston RAM. The link is for Crucial.
Crucial is guaranteed to work.

HH

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> That's what I've got and it doesn't work. That is the origin of my
> question. I've got 2 sticks of 1GB PC3200 which should be
> compatible. The question is why doesn't it work?

quakeii

samsung
SPEED: PC3200 (Backwards Compatible with PC2700, PC2100)

only backwards mem will work like this dont go buy just any pc32oo it
will not work and it will only alow you to put in up to 1gig of mem on
this motherboard and that is 2 sticks of 512mb ram that make up the one
gig it dont suport any more then that ,,
here is some specs on that motherboard

QUICK REFERENCE

184Pin DIMM Module
512mb MODULE
DUAL CHANNEL READY

GOLD PIN
2.5 VOLT

100% Backward compatible to PC2700 / PC2100

Performance: PC3200
DQ DQ Burst Frequency: 400MHz CL3 DDR

MOTHERBOARD INFO
Part/Feature Specifications/Supports
Motherboard Description MIS name: MS-6577 M-ATX Rev. 3.1 (Giovani),
Rev. 4.0 (Giovani2)

Compaq name: Giovani-GL6, Giovani2-GL6
CPU Socket 478 for Intel P4 Williamette and Northwood processors
1.4GHZ to 2.8GHz or higher

Intel 845GV Chipset FSB 400/533
Multiplexed AGP interface
Integrated 3D/2D graphic core
Supports DDR 333/266/200 memory

Intel ICH4 Chipset High speed USB 2.0 controller, 480Mb/sec
PCI Master 2.2
I/O APIC
AC'97 2.2 interface
Three UHCI host controllers
One EHCI host controller

Main Memory Two 184-pin DDR DIMM
Maximum memory size is up to 2GB, 1GB per slot.
READ THIS PART ITS IMPORTANT ((HP recommends a maximum memory of 1GB,
512MB per slot.
Supports PC2100 0r PC2700 unbuffered non-ECC))

BUT I HAVE THE samsung PC3200 (Backwards Compatible with PC2700,
PC2100)

Slots Three 32-bit Master PCI (peripheral component interconnect) Bus
slots
Onboard IDE IDE HDD/CD-ROM operation modes:
PIO
Bus Master
Ultra DMA 100/66
Connect up to four IDE devices

Onboard Peripherals Two PS/2 ports
Six USB ports (four front, two rear)
One Parallel port
One Serial port
One VGA
One RJ-45 LAN port
Vertical audio ports (line-in, line-out, microphone-in)

Connectors Two IDE (ATA 100)
One ATX power
One Floppy
One AUX-in
One Mic-in

Pinheaders One Front panel
One Clear password
One Clear CMOS

Audio AC'97 link controller integrated in ICH4
Six-channel software codec RealTek AL658 (optional)

LAN RealTek RTL8101L chip
Integrated Fast Ethernet MAC AND PHY (one chip)
Supports 10 Mb/s and 100Mb/s
Compliance with PCI V2.2
Supports ACPI Power Management

BIOS PnP (plug & play) to detect peripheral devices and expansion
cards automatically.
DMI (desktop management interface) function to record motherboard
specifications.

Dimension Micro-ATX form factor
Mounting Six mounting holes

HOPE THIS INFO HELPS SOME ONE