Rampage 3 Gene northbride heatsink

Junior Member

Hello, I just recently bought a rampage 3 gene micro atx mobo got it installed and runs great when idling or doing minor tasks, but when i run games such as bf3, swtor, sc2 or diablo 3 beta my computer shuts itself down and gives me the IOH overtemperature warning.

I am aware the rampage 2/3 gene's northbridges run hotter than normal boards and the factory thermal paste asus uses on them are nfg, I have taken off the NB heatsink cleaned with ispropryl and added artic silver 5, yet the problem still occurs.

I have been monitering my temps with HWMonitor and my NB idles at 70C, while playing games it steadily raises until it hits 100C then shuts down with the IOH overtemp alarm. I am starting to think the heatsink is just garbage and want to find a good replacement to fit a 1366 x58 chipset, I am new to dealing with heatsinks and am curious on a couple things..

My heatsink has a heatpipe attached to it and has no fan and looks to be nickel plated, Can i use a heatsink without the heatpipe and leave the previous heatpipe area empty?
I am looking at the Enzotech slf-1 forged copper 1100 heatsink, it looks to be small but its all copper and has a fan on it, wondering if it will help bring my nb temps down?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

Also sorry for the wall of text.

Junior Member

Anyone know of a good copper heatsink preferably copper with vertical heatpipe + fan that fits 1366 x58 mobo

Maximus III gene edy77 Asus 0 09-01-2010 05:09 PM
Any experience with the Rampage Formula? Patrick Vervoorn Asus 0 04-16-2008 11:35 AM
Rampage formula available sl91 Asus 0 03-21-2008 05:36 PM
Nvidia uses 3Dfx Rampage approach for G80: geometry chip + pixel chip ? AirRaid Nvidia 0 09-19-2006 10:17 PM
Nvidia uses 3Dfx Rampage approach for G80: geometry chip + pixel chip ? AirRaid ATI 0 09-19-2006 10:17 PM