Random Freezing with homemade computer (amd athlon xp 2500+, Lanparty NFII Ultra MB, 1024 mb ram, 120 gig western digital hd, radeon 9600 series)

Al Doti

I've had this computer that i built for about a year now, and it has
never really worked. Here are the Specs....

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1.84 GHz
LanParty NFII ULTRA Mother Board
1024 MB DDR RAM
120 Gig Western Digital Harddrive
Radeon 9600 series video card.
Windows XP Pro

The system randomly freezes, whether it be in the start up screen, or
after I've been on it for 20 minutes. Either way it is annoying and I
was wondering if there was anyone else who is or was having this
problem and/or could help me.

Also when it freezes, it will let you open things, but the little icon
in the top left corner of every window will go away (the thing that
you click on a it says "close" "move" etc.) and then title at the top
will bold.

Any Help? Reply to this and/or send me an e-mail at
(E-Mail Removed). Thanks!

Al Doti

Mouse

Hi,

Few things I would check,
1) make sure that all connections are absolutely solid, always good to
check
2) how about your PSU, is that one sufficient for your PC and
pheripherals, is it a branded one with sufficient amounts of power
delivered, or is it a crappy low power device in which case you might
want to think about replacing it.
3) it kind of sounds like you have a bit of a problem with windows, did
you ever consider reinstalling the thing from scratch, see whether this
behaviour is still there if not, then install your SW bit by bit and see
which one is causing it, it might also be a driver or even a clash in
interrupts to cards in combination with the drivers, which brings me to
the case that you might want to swap some cards on your MB in location,
as if sound-card and network-card are sharing the same intterrupt then
you might already have problems (your MB manual can give you some more
information on this) if you don't know exactly waht I am talking about
then simpley swap location, mind you windows will need and want to
reinstall the drivesr, just let it do so and take it from there.
For a more detailed analysis I think you would need to give a more
detailed description of the problem.

Good luck,

Al Doti wrote:

> I've had this computer that i built for about a year now, and it has
> never really worked. Here are the Specs....
>
> AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1.84 GHz
> LanParty NFII ULTRA Mother Board
> 1024 MB DDR RAM
> 120 Gig Western Digital Harddrive
> Radeon 9600 series video card.
> Windows XP Pro
>
> The system randomly freezes, whether it be in the start up screen, or
> after I've been on it for 20 minutes. Either way it is annoying and I
> was wondering if there was anyone else who is or was having this
> problem and/or could help me.
>
> Also when it freezes, it will let you open things, but the little icon
> in the top left corner of every window will go away (the thing that
> you click on a it says "close" "move" etc.) and then title at the top
> will bold.
>
> Any Help? Reply to this and/or send me an e-mail at
> (E-Mail Removed). Thanks!
>
> Al Doti

Tom

As you say you can actually still open things when the system freezes
I doubt its a hardware problem. If it were a hardware problem making
it freeze you would not be able to do anything at all when it does.

I would say this sounds more like a driver issue. Ensure you have the
latest drivers for all your hardware, especially your graphics card.
Also check for any problems listed in Device Manager with any device.

It would also be worth performing a virus scan with an up-to-date
anti-virus package, and also checking for ad-ware and spy-ware that
could cause such situations. You can check for this by downloading
Lavasoft Ad-aware from
http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10...age&tag=button

- Tom