Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

Don McKenzie

Welcome to the latest Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!

Much has been happening behind the scenes since you received our last
update, not least the start of compliance testing on the Raspberry Pi.

Why are we doing this? Compliance testing is an essential part of
bringing any electronic product to market. The Raspberry Pi is being
tested to make sure it conforms to all the regulations that apply to
electronic devices around the world. This means that we can be sure the
Raspberry Pi we deliver to you meets the correct standards and is as
safe as you would expect any electronic device you purchase to be.

We’re working with the Raspberry Pi Foundation to manage the testing
process as quickly as possible, while ensuring all tests are carried out
to guarantee safety. More information is being posted on the Raspberry
Pi website , as well as on our own FAQ pages rswww.com or DesignSpark.
We’re also regularly tweeting updates on progress. Follow
@RSElectronics on twitter to catch the latest news.

Alongside this, we’ve also been contacting the first group of people who
registered for a Raspberry Pi from RS, to help us plan delivery of the
initial batch of boards. In next week’s update, we’ll provide more
information on how we’re managing the queue and the order process.

RS Components

======================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics: http://www.dontronics-shop.com/

The World's Cheapest Computer:
DuinoMite the PIC32 $30 Basic Computer-MicroController
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/the-m...-computer.html
Just add a VGA monitor or TV, and PS2 Keyboard.
Arduino Shield, Programmed in Basic, or C.

Joerg

Don McKenzie wrote:
> Welcome to the latest Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!
>
> Much has been happening behind the scenes since you received our last
> update, not least the start of compliance testing on the Raspberry Pi.
>
> Why are we doing this? Compliance testing is an essential part of
> bringing any electronic product to market. The Raspberry Pi is being
> tested to make sure it conforms to all the regulations that apply to
> electronic devices around the world. This means that we can be sure the
> Raspberry Pi we deliver to you meets the correct standards and is as
> safe as you would expect any electronic device you purchase to be.
>
> We’re working with the Raspberry Pi Foundation to manage the testing
> process as quickly as possible, while ensuring all tests are carried out
> to guarantee safety. More information is being posted on the Raspberry
> Pi website , as well as on our own FAQ pages rswww.com or DesignSpark.
> We’re also regularly tweeting updates on progress. Follow
> @RSElectronics on twitter to catch the latest news.
>
> Alongside this, we’ve also been contacting the first group of people who
> registered for a Raspberry Pi from RS, to help us plan delivery of the
> initial batch of boards. In next week’s update, we’ll provide more
> information on how we’re managing the queue and the order process.
>
> RS Components
>
> ======================

Just curious: Does this mean the first round was shipped without being
EMC tested?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Nico Coesel

Joerg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Don McKenzie wrote:
>> Welcome to the latest Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!
>>
>> Much has been happening behind the scenes since you received our last
>> update, not least the start of compliance testing on the Raspberry Pi.
>>
>> Why are we doing this? Compliance testing is an essential part of
>> bringing any electronic product to market. The Raspberry Pi is being
>> Alongside this, we’ve also been contacting the first group of people who
>> registered for a Raspberry Pi from RS, to help us plan delivery of the
>> initial batch of boards. In next week’s update, we’ll provide more
>> information on how we’re managing the queue and the order process.
>>
>> RS Components
>>
>> ======================
>>

>Just curious: Does this mean the first round was shipped without being
>EMC tested?

This obviously means the first batch has not been produced at all. At
least I'd expect people to report experiences with the RP if they
shipped a batch.
nico@nctdevpuntnl (punt=.)

Joerg

Nico Coesel wrote:
> Joerg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Don McKenzie wrote:
>>> Welcome to the latest Raspberry Pi update from RS Components!
>>>
>>> Much has been happening behind the scenes since you received our last
>>> update, not least the start of compliance testing on the Raspberry Pi.
>>>
>>> Why are we doing this? Compliance testing is an essential part of
>>> bringing any electronic product to market. The Raspberry Pi is being
>>> Alongside this, we’ve also been contacting the first group of people who
>>> registered for a Raspberry Pi from RS, to help us plan delivery of the
>>> initial batch of boards. In next week’s update, we’ll provide more
>>> information on how we’re managing the queue and the order process.
>>>
>>> RS Components
>>>
>>> ======================
>>>

>> Just curious: Does this mean the first round was shipped without being
>> EMC tested?

> This obviously means the first batch has not been produced at all. At
> least I'd expect people to report experiences with the RP if they
> shipped a batch.

So it was being sold without inventory on the shelves? Hmm ...

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Frank Buss

Nico Coesel wrote:

> This obviously means the first batch has not been produced at all. At
> least I'd expect people to report experiences with the RP if they
> shipped a batch.

I think the first batch was produced, because I don't think they faked
their blog update about the wrong ethernet connector. But I wonder if
they have to dump the first batch, if the test fails. Maybe they can
sell it with a sticker "for use in EMC shielded cages, only" :-)

--
Frank Buss, http://www.frank-buss.de
electronics and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/frankbuss

TTman

"Frank Buss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:jkihha$gj0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Nico Coesel wrote:
>>
>> This obviously means the first batch has not been produced at all. At
>> least I'd expect people to report experiences with the RP if they
>> shipped a batch.

> I think the first batch was produced, because I don't think they faked
> their blog update about the wrong ethernet connector. But I wonder if
> they have to dump the first batch, if the test fails. Maybe they can
> sell it with a sticker "for use in EMC shielded cages, only" :-)
>
> --
> Frank Buss, http://www.frank-buss.de
> electronics and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/frankbuss

They'll probably turn up on Ebay

Anders.Montonen@kapsi.spam.stop.fi.invalid

In comp.arch.embedded Joerg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Just curious: Does this mean the first round was shipped without being
> EMC tested?

From <http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/840#comment-16997>:

"I'm going to have to put a statement out about this later: in short, once a
certain number of orders were in, RS decided they didn't want to sell the
boards as dev boards (which was what we'd planned for the first, uncased units
- dev boards don't require CE marking - see Arduino, Beagleboard etc.) because
the sales volumes were so big they were worried someone with a similar or
competing product might try to cause some legal trouble over the definition of
development board. We're still trying to work out if we can get some out
earlier without CE marks to developers. We're rushing through compliance as
fast as is humanly possible at the moment."

-a

Don McKenzie

On 24-Mar-12 8:24 AM, (E-Mail Removed)d wrote:
> In comp.arch.embedded Joerg<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Just curious: Does this mean the first round was shipped without being
>> EMC tested?

> From<http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/840#comment-16997>:
>
> "I'm going to have to put a statement out about this later: in short, once a
> certain number of orders were in, RS decided they didn't want to sell the
> boards as dev boards (which was what we'd planned for the first, uncased units
> - dev boards don't require CE marking - see Arduino, Beagleboard etc.) because
> the sales volumes were so big they were worried someone with a similar or
> competing product might try to cause some legal trouble over the definition of
> development board. We're still trying to work out if we can get some out
> earlier without CE marks to developers. We're rushing through compliance as
> fast as is humanly possible at the moment."
>
> -a

More reading:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/gen...ail-compliance

Cheers Don...

======================

--

(E-Mail Removed)d wrote:
> In comp.arch.embedded Joerg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Just curious: Does this mean the first round was shipped without being
>> EMC tested?

> From <http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/840#comment-16997>:

And this is the discussion in the forum:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/gen...ail-compliance

Looks like the customers are not amused. The foundation should have
tested it before. Is it allowed to sell it as a dev board? I don't think
the comments in the article are right, that it is not allowed to sell it
as a dev board, if they sell too many of it. There must be other
reasons, maybe the intended use of it.

This will cause a major delay, if they have to do all the things like
EMC, WEEE, CE etc. and then for all countries where they plan to ship
it. Maybe we'll get the first devices sometime in summer.

--
Frank Buss, http://www.frank-buss.de
electronics and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/frankbuss

John Walliker

On Mar 23, 9:54*pm, Frank Buss <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> This will cause a major delay, if they have to do all the things like
> EMC, WEEE, CE etc. and then for all countries where they plan to ship
> it. Maybe we'll get the first devices sometime in summer.

I got my order in on day one and Farnell are quoting delivery in
"early May". This is presumably one from the first batch.

I too am very surprised that they haven't sorted out regulatory
testing. Even if the first batch of boards really is intended only for
"developers", it would be unfortunate if interface specifications such
as placement of ground pins needed to change to sort out radiated
emissions or ESD problems.

Lets hope it works out OK.

John