Re: 8200 upgrade

WSZsr

I have the Dell 8200 and an ATI 8500DV. When I first got the 8500DV about
six months ago, the drivers and software from ATI were very problematic.
Last week I downloaded the latest drivers/software for it from the ATI
website and it works great.

I would suggest a format and clean install of XP. Then download the latest
drivers/software from ATI. It seems to solve all of the problems. I do not
recommend *any* of the Intel software. XP with SP1 problems all the support
you need for the 8200.

"Chad903" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Stew, I have a 8200 , I bought a ATI all in one 8500DV about 6 months
> ago and I have never had it configured right yet, I have asked ATI and
> at their suggestion I downloaded the "latest" Intel chip set update
> and ATI's latest ATI driver package, I still have fonts smearing all
> over my screen, can you or anyone give me a direction, I am 62 and not
> the quickest guy on the planet but this has gone on a little over 6
> months with no positive results. I have searched for the brand of the
> mother board so I might update the BIOS for AGP if I can, but I can't
> find not one thing about the brand of main board I have in this Dell
> 8200, as I read your response I am assuming it is a Dell named board
> so I am still lost. Honest I am worn out with the ATI thing, I have
> installed the newest drivers at ATI today and did this in the VGA
> mode, I have WindowsXP Home edition, I need help bad on this and I
> suppose what I am asking is how to get the ATI all in one to stop with
> all the smearing so I can simply use my computer. This is what I
> updated today:
>

> In the VGA Mode:
>
> From Intel: iaa23_enu.exe (installed)
> From Intel: infinst.enu.exe (installed)
> From ATI: wxp-w2k-catalyst-7-90-030605m-009437c-efg.exe
>
> Thanks in advance...Marv
> (E-Mail Removed)....... remove the nospam
>

> On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 20:00:59 -0500, "S.Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

> >You'd have to replace the entire board with another Dell board - not very
> >practical.
> >
> >If it were mine - max out the RAM, keep the video card updated, and then

get
> >the 2.6/400 cpu as the prices come down.
> >
> >The machine will be faster than what you're seeing now, and still plenty
> >fast - period.
> >
> >Hell, Mike, it's not like it's *slow* right now. I'm posting this from a
> >PIII 1GHz w/256mb of 'screaming fast' PC133 SDRAM....
> >
> >Stew
> >
> >"mike dziatkowicz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> can i change the chipset or would i have to buy a whole new board and

what
> >> boards will fit into the 8200 case? I'm looking at a cheap way to maybe

> >next
> >> winter or spring upgrade my computer so i don't have to buy a new one

for
> >3
> >> or 4 more years or am I just gonna be better off buying a new top of

the
> >> line machine (that's why i bought this thing it was top of the line at

the
> >> time but alas i forgot that rdram was very expensive and that windows

> >wants
> >> to eat up as much ram as possible thus making my computer slow as a

> >turtle).
> >> "S.Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:a2upa.21810$(E-Mail Removed)2.webusenet.com. ..

assume

> >> DIM8200,

can
> >> only

saving

thing
> >> that

> >downward

> >heatsink

sure,
> >> as

*only*

> >going

> >have?

and
> >> the

spring
> >> that

of
> >the

> >> Intel's)

find
> >> the

chip

> >> number.

> >> 2.53Ghz

just
> >for

> >> 82850/82850e
> >> doesn't

this

> >http://support.intel.com/support/chipsets/chipsetid.htm

> >utility

Intel

Tom Scales

I tend to agree with this advice, drastic as it is. Be sure to back up
everything first.

I suspect you just have remnants of bad stuff out there. Clean install with
fresh drivers and I'll bet it will be great. It's a fine card!

Tom
"WSZsr" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:RhHPa.55487$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> [...]

> > Thanks in advance...Marv
> > (E-Mail Removed)....... remove the nospam
> >

> > On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 20:00:59 -0500, "S.Lewis" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > wrote:
> >

> > >You'd have to replace the entire board with another Dell board - not

very
> > >practical.
> > >
> > >If it were mine - max out the RAM, keep the video card updated, and

then
> get
> > >the 2.6/400 cpu as the prices come down.
> > >
> > >The machine will be faster than what you're seeing now, and still

plenty
> > >fast - period.
> > >
> > >Hell, Mike, it's not like it's *slow* right now. I'm posting this from

> > >PIII 1GHz w/256mb of 'screaming fast' PC133 SDRAM....
> > >
> > >Stew
> > >
> > >"mike dziatkowicz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Chad903

Thanks Tom, I have tried the way ATI explained to do the install but
the frigging hardware wizard will not give me a chance to install the
new driver, is there anyway to stop the wizard long enough for me to
at least get the new driver installed? Also what do you mean by
"clean install"? I am a bit lost....as I said I am so worn out with
this All in one ATI card and this is the exact problem I have on my
backup computer when I put this card in it, both computers support
AGP, after I have said this I am beginning to think maybe the card has
a problem...I just got a response back from ATI and it is the same old
same old of giving me page after page of reading on their site about
problems that can occur when installing this card, I have read and
reread these so many times and to have no support from ATI or any
specific thing to check is the exact message I got some 6 months
back. The only reason I keep on trying is I need the card so I can
capture from my VCR and no other reason...I would love to stomp the
thing until I felt better after 6 long months of nothing but trouble,
I am just sick of this can't see my screen except though smears and
smudges, sorry but I am very tired of begging and researching ATI over
and over, there should be a live person who I could talk to from ATI
and that will not happen unless you pay someone to tell you that a
firewall must be installed causing the problem etc....again thanks Tom
for the help but it tells me nothing that I can understand with my
limited knowledge on graphic and drivers and winXP......

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 22:14:07 -0400, "Tom Scales" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> [...]

>> > mother board so I might update the BIOS for AGP if I can, but I can't
>> > find not one thing about the brand of main board I have in this Dell
>> > 8200, as I read your response I am assuming it is a Dell named board
>> > so I am still lost. Honest I am worn out with the ATI thing, I have
>> > installed the newest drivers at ATI today and did this in the VGA
>> > mode, I have WindowsXP Home edition, I need help bad on this and I
>> > suppose what I am asking is how to get the ATI all in one to stop with
>> > all the smearing so I can simply use my computer. This is what I
>> > updated today:
>> >

>> > In the VGA Mode:
>> >
>> > From Intel: iaa23_enu.exe (installed)
>> > From Intel: infinst.enu.exe (installed)
>> > From ATI: wxp-w2k-catalyst-7-90-030605m-009437c-efg.exe
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance...Marv
>> > (E-Mail Removed)....... remove the nospam

Can I upgrade my 8200 processor to a faster one... and... TIA ooops Dell 5 10-07-2004 04:56 AM
Dell Dimension 8200 Upgrade Joe Dell 2 08-31-2004 12:47 PM
Dimension 8200 processor upgrade Herman Dell 1 07-14-2004 09:08 PM
8200 CPU Upgrade Ebay Star Dell 12 07-02-2004 01:24 AM
Dimension 8200 RDRAM Upgrade help Mike G Dell 1 02-17-2004 10:44 AM