Re: Antec Basiq 500 Watt ATX Power Supply/PSU (BP500U) making loud noises?

Arno

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc Ant <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> OK, I am researching on another PSU to replace the crappy eight months
> old Antec PSU I have right now in my old Debian/Linux box (made noises
> this morning and it is confirmed the fan since I stuck a plastic straw
> in it and it stopped). I am going to get this one RMA soon before its
> year, get something better that won't fail me easily, and sell the
> Antec's RMA one.

> How does a Seasonic Corsair HX450 sound? Am I reading correctly that
> both SeaSonic and Corsair share the same PSU designs and Corsair has
> longer warranty (five years)?

First, same design does not imply same fan. So a longer warranty
period may indicate a better fan. However, you should make sure that
the warranty actually covers the fan. If, for example, it does not
cover "normal wear and tear", then the fan bearings are not included.
THat said, 5 years warranty would be a strong indicator of a quality,
long-life fan being used and also other components (capacitors)
being higer quality.

Arno
--
Arno Wagner, Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform., CISSP -- Email: (E-Mail Removed)
----

Arno

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc Ant <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On 9/13/2010 1:40 AM PT, Arno typed:

[...]
>> First, same design does not imply same fan. So a longer warranty
>> period may indicate a better fan. However, you should make sure that
>> the warranty actually covers the fan. If, for example, it does not
>> cover "normal wear and tear", then the fan bearings are not included.
>> THat said, 5 years warranty would be a strong indicator of a quality,
>> long-life fan being used and also other components (capacitors)
>> being higer quality.

> Thanks. Hmm, I wished there were easy to find information about their
> parts being quality. Well, they have to be way better than Antec!

> I did find http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/PSU_Manufacturers :

> "Basiq ? FSP (Fortron Source)"

Interesting! Looks like Antec is buying from however is cheapest
for a specific design.

In other news, contrary to an earlier statement of mine, it seems
FSP also manufactures (and designs?) their own units. Not that
they are particularly good.

Also Seasonic and CWT do their own manufacuring, design sources
unknown.

> Ha, I had Fortron FSP650-80GLC PSU (650 watts) that died (5/14/2007 to
> 12/5/2009) and damaged my Linux/Debian box's hardwares before that Antec
> Basiq PSU!

I had one that died in a server after a power failure (24 CWT PSUs
did not suffer any damage).

> I have bad lucks with these Antec and Fortron/FSP PSUs according to my
> http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/toys.html history! I am
> avoiding these brands! :P

Hehe. Wise decision.

Arno