Re: Anyone Windows Hardware With Energy Saving Equal to Apple Mac Mini?

James Harris

On Nov 13, 8:42*pm, "W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I was looking for a server to use as a DNS appliance on a network, and I
> wanted to find one that uses a minimum amount of energy. * I stumbled on the
> Apple Mac Mini. * Somehow they have this server working at 15 watts (!)when
> not in active use, and during full power on activity the server is only
> using 85 watts. * It uses an Intel Core Duo 2. * Part of their energysaving
> strategy is the aluminum case, which acts as a passive heat sink and avoids
> the need to run the cooling fan nearly as hard as it would in a plastic
> case. * My question is has any vendor for a Windows-OS server come up with a
> *server* product that is equally energy efficient? * * Most of the so-called
> energy efficient servers I am seeing through Dell and HP are using 200 to
> 300 watts. * The units that they offer that have significant energy sparing
> features are all toyish client computers. * * What are the most energy
> efficient Intel-based Windows-OS servers in today's market?
>
> I'm okay with running slower processors. * A DNS server with a 1.8 GHz CPU
> is overkill already.

Try a Viglen MPC-L or similar. It's not at all fast but I think it's
rated at something like 8 watts. Last time I looked there were others
of the same spec (I think Viglen just put there badge on someone
else's unit) but not nearly the same price.

James

James Harris

On Nov 14, 2:20*am, "W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "James Harris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Nov 13, 8:42 pm, "W" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > I was looking for a server to use as a DNS appliance on a network, and I
> > wanted to find one that uses a minimum amount of energy. I stumbled on the
> > Apple Mac Mini. Somehow they have this server working at 15 watts (!) when
> > not in active use, and during full power on activity the server is only
> > using 85 watts. It uses an Intel Core Duo 2. Part of their energy saving
> > strategy is the aluminum case, which acts as a passive heat sink and

> avoids
> > the need to run the cooling fan nearly as hard as it would in a plastic
> > case. My question is has any vendor for a Windows-OS server come up with a
> > *server* product that is equally energy efficient? Most of the so-called
> > energy efficient servers I am seeing through Dell and HP are using 200 to
> > 300 watts. The units that they offer that have significant energy sparing
> > features are all toyish client computers. What are the most energy
> > efficient Intel-based Windows-OS servers in today's market?

> > I'm okay with running slower processors. A DNS server with a 1.8 GHz CPU
> > is overkill already.

> Try a Viglen MPC-L or similar. It's not at all fast but I think it's
> rated at something like 8 watts. Last time I looked there were others
> of the same spec (I think Viglen just put there badge on someone
> else's unit) but not nearly the same price.

> That Viglen is using a Geode processor. If you want Ubuntu, that's a nice
> solution. But if you want Wintel and Windows, that is not going to work..

Of course it can work. Where did you check? Viglen on their web site
recommend Windows 7 for the box and there is at least one web site
showing how to install XP on it.

I referred to the Viglen as you said you "wanted to find one that uses
a minimum amount of energy." Other options if you don't want the
lowest power consumption: a subnotebook (effectively comes with its
own UPS) such as Asus EEE or MSI Wind, mini-itx, pico-itx, Intel Atom.
You'll have to research the details.

James

Re: Anyone Windows Hardware With Energy Saving Equal to Apple MacMini? Bill Davidsen Intel 3 11-22-2010 02:03 PM
Energy Saving Tips ... Apple 0 07-04-2010 09:23 AM
Mac newbie: robocopy equal on Mac? aweis Apple 5 08-29-2006 10:26 PM
Compaq NX 7000 - disable energy saving Razvan Laptops 1 11-15-2004 09:05 AM
Saving energy: what kind of computer to choose for a router Dobedani PC Hardware 7 03-05-2004 03:12 PM