Re: ASUS P5W DH DELUXE and CONROE E6600 2,40GHz FSB 1066 4MB: Can I install Win7 64bit?

Rob

"AroundTheWorld" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi, I have Intel CONROE E6600 2,40GHz FSB 1066 4MB cache LGA775 and
> ASUS P5W DH DELUXE. I have bout them 3 years ago.
> In your opinon can I install Windows 7 64bit?
> Thanks

Win7x64 will have most of the drivers needed already.
You may need to go to Intel, Realtek, jMicron for some other drivers.
See this thread:
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

I would remove the existing system hard drive and install Win7x64 to a new
drive.
That way you can easily just put the old hard drive back in if you have any
problems.

You may get fewer installation problems if you put the BIOS into IDE mode
(instead of RAID or AHCI.)

HTH,
--
Rob

mikea

AroundTheWorld <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in <(E-Mail Removed)>:
>>I would remove the existing system hard drive and install Win7x64 to a new
>>drive.

> Thanks for your interesting reply. Can you tell me why do I have to
> replace the old hard drive with a new one?
> I don't understand.

He told you exactly why in the second sentence.

> I would remove the existing system hard drive and install Win7x64 to a
> new drive. That way you can easily just put the old hard drive back in
> if you have any problems.

Using a completely different drive gives you a known working fallback
position.

--
Mike Andrews, W5EGO
(E-Mail Removed)

DevilsPGD

In message <(E-Mail Removed)> "Rob"
<(E-Mail Removed)> was claimed to have wrote:

>You may get fewer installation problems if you put the BIOS into IDE mode
>(instead of RAID or AHCI.)

AHCI works fine on that motherboard straight out of the box on modern
OSes (Vista and up), and gives noticeably better performance than in IDE
emulation mode.

In other words, for W7, stay in AHCI mode unless you have a drive with
issues.

Paul

AroundTheWorld wrote:
>> In other words, for W7, stay in AHCI mode unless you have a drive with
>> issues.

> Where is AHCI mode please? In what Asus screening?

See section 4.3.6 "IDE Configuration" of the user manual.

"Configure SATA As"

*******

AHCI mode supports NCQ (native command queuing, useful for
multiple programs accessing the disk simultaneously, such as on
a file server), and AHCI also support "hot plug" of the hard drive.

(This external device, allows plugging in a raw hard drive
mechanism while the computer is running. It is an example
of "hot plug". I would not do this, due to the danger of
shaking the drive while it is still spinning. It might be safe
to plug it in, but ejecting the drive is more dangerous.)

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Produc...ge/ST0005U.jpg

The AHCI mode, if selected before you install the OS, also makes
it easier to upgrade to a RAID driver later on, after
the OS has been installed. Those are some reasons to
use that mode.

Windows 7 has a built-in AHCI driver, so selecting that
setting in the BIOS, should work without an issue. But if you're
dual booting WinXP (have two separate disks, Win7 on
one disk, WinXP on the other disk), you'll need to change
the BIOS setting "Configure SATA As" back to the original
value, in order to get the old installation of WinXP to work.

And Fogar, the other respondents have given you sound advice.
By using a new and separate hard drive, to hold Windows 7,
and disconnecting the old WinXP hard drive for now, that will make
it easier to return to your old configuration later. It is
like making a backup, a backup of a system where all your
software works. You know how difficult it is to configure
and load the drivers to make that system of yours work, and
you may need to go back to WinXP, if Windows 7 causes problems.
If you still have the Matrox Real Time Video Editing card, it may
not have a Windows 7 driver, and may fail to work. That alone, may be
a reason to stick with the WinXP that is working. The Matrox card
may not have Windows 7 64 bit drivers.

Paul

Andreas Scheer

"AroundTheWorld" <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do I have to enter into BIOS and modify anything?

You can keep everything in the bios as it is (and as it already works with
Win XP) unless you update your RAM to more than 3 GB and uses Win7 x64. Than
you should change an option in the bios which says, that you use a 64bit OS
to be able to use the RAM above 3 GB.

Further on I recommend a bios update at least to version 2901. There were
fixed some issues with Vista and to prevent problems with Win7, I would
update.

> My PC has one hard drive for OS, One hard drive for storage files
> (music and avi files) and 2 hard drives in RAID 0 for video editing.
> thanks

I use a Q6600@3,22 GHz on this board with BIOS 2901 under Win7 prof. x64
and 4 GB RAM. My system runs like charm and it is rock solid as never
before with Win XP. As system drive I use a SSD Super Talent 64GB which gave
my system a noticeable boost.

Bye
Andreas

DevilsPGD

In message <(E-Mail Removed)> AroundTheWorld
<(E-Mail Removed)> was claimed to have wrote:

>>Further on I recommend a bios update at least to version 2901. There were
>>fixed some issues with Vista and to prevent problems with Win7, I would
>>update.

>I have just downloaded 2901version. Now can you tell me what is the
>easiest software to update the BIOS?

Personally I typically burn to CD and boot off the CD to avoid any OS
related issues during the update.

DevilsPGD

In message <(E-Mail Removed)> AroundTheWorld
<(E-Mail Removed)> was claimed to have wrote:

>>Personally I typically burn to CD and boot off the CD to avoid any OS
>>related issues during the update.

>A last question please.
>If I installa the new BIOS, will I have to configure the new BIOS
>again? My PC has 5 hard drives, 4 with RAID 0 and I am afraid it lost
>the config.
>thanks

Assume yes and record your current details. I'm actually not sure, I
found the RAID performance on that board was lacking so I switched to
some HighPoint 8-port PCI-E controllers instead.

E6600 1066 FSB to E8400 1333 FSB gaudsmithk Nvidia 0 01-31-2012 02:52 AM
Re: ASUS P5W DH DELUXE and CONROE E6600 2,40GHz FSB 1066 4MB: Can I install Win7 64bit? me@here.com Asus 0 08-25-2010 04:08 PM
Overclocking E6600 on Asus P5W DH Deluxe Nick Le Lievre Overclocking 41 04-23-2007 09:21 PM
1066 FSB vs. 1333 FSB? Scotter Intel 6 03-13-2007 06:39 PM
Pressler D950 vs Conroe E6600 Ron Krebs Intel 5 11-09-2006 11:12 PM