Re: ATI Radeon video card(s) causing Sims 3 Hair and folage major havoc

l8nytsimmer@gmail.com

On Thursday, August 20, 2009 1:28:12 PM UTC-4, Dr. Richard Cranium wrote:
> I've been playing the Sims 3 since it was released.
>
> I have two copies (registered at ea) and my two game machines
>
> have an 1GB DDR5 Diamond ATI Radeon HD 4890 XOC , Ruby Edition
>
> and a DIAMOND ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 PCIE 2048MB GDDR5 Video Card.
>

> I've been having video problems with the foliage being a big square graphics
> block with day-glo brilliant fuzz coloring.
>
> My characters have hair that looks like it is always transparent.
>
> So what you see only in the normal intensity is the skull cap Maxis defaults
> to or something.
>
> For some reason the braided hair and the side pony tails that hang over the
> shoulders in front worked okay.
>

> I've gone backwards in driver release numbers. No help. Last night I up
> graded to the
>
> ATI 9.8's since the release notes do discuss a Sims 3 menu fix issue.
>
> upon install completion the video display was back to 640x480
>
> (i haven't seen ATI wipe the 1900x1200 16:10 screen resolution in many
> moons) I was hopeful.
>
> Then after the subsequent reboot, I fired off the Sims 3.
>
> the sims 3 was now 640x480. I went into options to adjust back to 1900x1200
> 16:10.
>
> Maxis popped me up a window and wanted a decision about "edge scrolling" on
> or off.
>
> I clicked on "on".
>
> The Sims 3 game came up just fine.
>
> Every hair was in place on every character and displayed properly. Each and
> every tree displayed in the proper resolution.
>
> cool beans !!
>

> I played for a while (couple of hours) then saved out the game.
>
> Rebooted, and went back into the Sims 3. There was the hair and tree
> corruption !! drat !
>
> So I went back into options and clicked "off" the edge scrolling. poof !
> Game back to displaying hair and trees correctly.
>
> go figure. I don't really care about edge scrolling since Final Fantasy XI
> doesn't really use it.
>

> SO I figure I just need to toggle between "edge scrolling" on if it is off,
> and off if it is on. I could most likely just toggle twice to where edge
> scrolling is back on.
>

> Strangest problem I've seen ATI have with their video cards. I would suggest
> it you have these kinds of ATI video problems then just try toggling edge
> scrolling on/off on earlier versions on the ATI video drivers. ( i am
> certainly not going to install a previous version to check this out LOL).
>
> This last night after reading the various forums about ATI and Sims 3 around
> the known internet galaxy.
>

> I thought the problem was ATI's implementation of Direct X 10 and some
> cosmic screen rendering at 1900x1200.
>

> Hope this helps,
>

> ** no fate **
>

> dracman
>
> http://www.smokeypoint.com/My_PC.htm
>

> http://www.smokeypoint.com/walleweb/wall-E.html

> [...]

This problem my very well be in your computer, and not your graphics card. I use the ATI Raedon 5570 graphics card in one PC and the ATI Raedon 3000 graphics card in this, my second, back up computer. My graphics are beautiful. All of the on screen imagery is sharp, and crystal clear. Even the tiniest details of the game, such as those little bees that flit from flower to flower in my flowerbed, the gentle sway of the trees, and the subtle movement of the water in ponds and swimming pools are visible and a pleasure to watch. It can't be ATI's graphics cards, because I have these wonderful effects even with the humble 3000 series graphics card.You should get your computer a thorough check up.