Re: Basic video card care.

bandit

On Sun, 28 Sep 2008 17:59:11 -0400, cookiebun
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed).3guesses says...
>> cookiebun wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> > I have a 1 year old Shapphire Radeon X1650 PRO that seems to be running
>> > hot. ATI Tool says the temp is 65c when just running a browser.
>> > Someone suggestied removing the heat sink and fan and re-applying
>> > thermal paste. I had no idea this could be done with a video card.
>> > Does anyone know of a web site that has pictures and instructions for
>> > this procedure? The fan is loud when I turn up the speed too. Can it be
>> > oiled?

>> Blow all the dust out of the fan and between the blades of the heatsink
>> with a can of compressed air first. If that doesn't improve things then
>> you can try to take off the fan, peel back the label in the centre and
>> oil it with very light oil. The fan may not come off this card - see
>> the link below.
>>
>> If you need to go further than that I'd be surprised but come back and
>> shout.
>>
>> http://forums.sapphiretech.com/showthread.php?t=13893
>>

>Thanks for the reply and the link.
>I did the compressed air bit (do that a lot) and it seemed to help some.
>Would regular household oil work ok?

you could use 3 in 1 oil like this guy did

http://forums.sapphiretech.com/showthread.php?t=13893

or get one from newegg if the oil don't work something like these

or

or this link just make sure to look at spec to see if it works with
you're card

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...me=VGA-Cooling

bandit

On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 21:58:19 -0400, cookiebun
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
>(E-Mail Removed) says...
>snip>
>> you could use 3 in 1 oil like this guy did
>>

>> http://forums.sapphiretech.com/showthread.php?t=13893
>>
>> or get one from newegg if the oil don't work something like these
>>

>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118006
>>
>> or
>>

>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835118001
>>
>> or this link just make sure to look at spec to see if it works with
>> you're card
>>

>> http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCateg...me=VGA-Cooling
>>

>Wow, that fan looks big for my card!
>I got the heatsink off the card, cleaned it and put some OCZ freeze on
>the chip and the heat sink. Added a pci slot case fan too.
>Temps have dropped by more than 10 degrees.

The fan not as big as it looks in picture,its not as big as the one
for the CPU and I see no mention of the oil on fan did you try the
3 in 1

Phil_12345@hotmail.com

>cookiebun wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
> > On Mon, 29 Sep 2008 21:58:19 -0400, cookiebun
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >
> > >In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > >(E-Mail Removed) says...
> > >snip>

> > >Wow, that fan looks big for my card!
> > >I got the heatsink off the card, cleaned it and put some OCZ freeze on
> > >the chip and the heat sink. Added a pci slot case fan too.
> > >Temps have dropped by more than 10 degrees.

> > The fan not as big as it looks in picture,its not as big as the one
> > for the CPU and I see no mention of the oil on fan did you try the
> > 3 in 1
> >

> Yep, did that!

FYI, people would recommend all kind of oil (even cooking oil) to use
on cpu/case/video card fan. But for some unknown reason, no one
mention about using auto engine oil - one drop of it would does
wonder. I used it on my current Asus EAX1600PRO's fan a year ago and
the fan is still quiet to now. One of the benefit of it over other
type of oils is that there is no thermal breakdown of the oil due to
high heat :-)