Re: Binary compatible across Sparc platforms

essenz

The problem is not the 280R, its the storage and DiskSuite setup. Its
been so butchered, we're afraid to touch. In fact, if we reboot it,
there is a very good chance it wont come back up. Besides, the 280R's
are very old. A straight file copy to a newer box will solve alot of
problems - if the binary compatibility works.

-John

On Jul 11, 10:54 pm, CJT <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> essenz wrote:
> > I have inherited a very sensitive migration project, and had some
> > ideas about how to replace a dying Sunfire 280R and storage unit.

> > The system is running Solaris 8, and the storage unit mount (/web)
> > contains everything for a running Oracle 9i database (the data itself,
> > and all the app binaries and configs).

> > Without getting into too many details, the server cannot be salvaged,
> > so we need a quick and reliable migration.

> > Because the data is critical, and we lack resources to build
> > everything a new, my plan was to do the following:

> > 1. Buy a newer Sun machine that still uses Sparc CPU, say a Sunfire
> > V240 or newer - either way the box would be using UltraSparc IIIi or
> > UltraSparc IV.
> > 2. Install a fresh Solaris 8 on it, and try to get all the same
> > packages on it as my the current box we are replacing.
> > 3. Buy a new storage unit, configure and mount it just like the the
> > old box.
> > 4. Finally, with Oracle down, just do a raw file of everything in the /
> > web mount.

> > Then on the machine, try to start oracle. Question is will this work?

> > Main concern is will the Oracle binaries from a 280R with UltraSparc
> > III cpus, work on V240 or newer box with UltraSparc IIIi or IV?

> > Thanks
> > John

> Why not just pick up a cheap replacement 280R?
>
> --
> The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt to
> minimize spam. Our true address is of the form (E-Mail Removed).

Barry OGrady

On Sat, 12 Jul 2008 09:23:32 -0700 (PDT), essenz <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The problem is not the 280R, its the storage and DiskSuite setup. Its
>been so butchered, we're afraid to touch. In fact, if we reboot it,
>there is a very good chance it wont come back up. Besides, the 280R's
>are very old. A straight file copy to a newer box will solve alot of
>problems - if the binary compatibility works.

By alot do you mean not a lot the way atheist means not a theist?

http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting

>-John
>
>On Jul 11, 10:54 pm, CJT <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> essenz wrote:
>> > I have inherited a very sensitive migration project, and had some
>> > ideas about how to replace a dying Sunfire 280R and storage unit.

>> > The system is running Solaris 8, and the storage unit mount (/web)
>> > contains everything for a running Oracle 9i database (the data itself,
>> > and all the app binaries and configs).

>> > Without getting into too many details, the server cannot be salvaged,
>> > so we need a quick and reliable migration.

>> > Because the data is critical, and we lack resources to build
>> > everything a new, my plan was to do the following:

>> > 1. Buy a newer Sun machine that still uses Sparc CPU, say a Sunfire
>> > V240 or newer - either way the box would be using UltraSparc IIIi or
>> > UltraSparc IV.
>> > 2. Install a fresh Solaris 8 on it, and try to get all the same
>> > packages on it as my the current box we are replacing.
>> > 3. Buy a new storage unit, configure and mount it just like the the
>> > old box.
>> > 4. Finally, with Oracle down, just do a raw file of everything in the /
>> > web mount.

>> > Then on the machine, try to start oracle. Question is will this work?

>> > Main concern is will the Oracle binaries from a 280R with UltraSparc
>> > III cpus, work on V240 or newer box with UltraSparc IIIi or IV?

>> > Thanks
>> > John

>> Why not just pick up a cheap replacement 280R?
>>
>> --
>> The e-mail address in our reply-to line is reversed in an attempt to
>> minimize spam. Our true address is of the form (E-Mail Removed).

Barry
=====
Home page
http://members.iinet.net.au/~barry.og