Re: Is CD inconsistent for different readers like floppies?

Artem

On Apr 9, 2:58*pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:

> I've noticed that the one reader works well with old RH6.2
> linux but not with later versions.

I can suggest check IDE setting (PIO, DMA, etc) with hdparm.

> Also since I need to boot from the 1 CD I have to use the BIOS.
> And since both my machines show differing 'errors', it suggests
> that a marginal mechanical setting exists.
>
> Do CDreaders auto adjust, so that the mechanics of different
> readers is equaled out ?

Mechanical can not be equal. En example optical blocks can have
different mass. So, it can focusing at CD with different speed.

Try to slowdown you CD reader.

hdparm -E

And check file systems on CD. Maybe you use ext2 on CD or something
like this.