Re: Client Lease Time?

Pen

On 11/21/2010 10:59 AM, Ron Hardin wrote:
> What's the significance of the client lease time in a linksys router?
>
> Apparently 30000 is not a good idea - I ran out of legal addresses.
>
> Next try is 0.
>
> I'm not sure what I'm trading off with this.

You attempted to set a release time of approximately 3 weeks.
The Client Lease Time is the amount of time a network user
will be allowed connection to the Router with their current
dynamic IP address. Enter the amount of time, in minutes,
that the user will be “leased” this dynamic IP address.
After the time is up, the user will be automatically
assigned a new dynamic IP address. The default is 0 minutes,
which means one day.

Pen

On 11/21/2010 12:19 PM, Ron Hardin wrote:
> Pen wrote:
>>
>> On 11/21/2010 10:59 AM, Ron Hardin wrote:
>>> What's the significance of the client lease time in a linksys router?
>>>
>>> Apparently 30000 is not a good idea - I ran out of legal addresses.
>>>
>>> Next try is 0.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what I'm trading off with this.

>> You attempted to set a release time of approximately 3 weeks.
>> The Client Lease Time is the amount of time a network user
>> will be allowed connection to the Router with their current
>> dynamic IP address. Enter the amount of time, in minutes,
>> that the user will be “leased” this dynamic IP address.
>> After the time is up, the user will be automatically
>> assigned a new dynamic IP address. The default is 0 minutes,
>> which means one day.

> Thanks.
>
> What happens when the lease time is up if the laptop is still connectedto the network?
> Mine is on 24/7.
>
> Does it start a negotiation on a new address, or just hang? Windows XPHome.

It just gets a new one. Mine is on 24/7 for months at a time.

Pen

On 11/21/2010 12:19 PM, Ron Hardin wrote:
> Pen wrote:
>>
>> On 11/21/2010 10:59 AM, Ron Hardin wrote:
>>> What's the significance of the client lease time in a linksys router?
>>>
>>> Apparently 30000 is not a good idea - I ran out of legal addresses.
>>>
>>> Next try is 0.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what I'm trading off with this.

>> You attempted to set a release time of approximately 3 weeks.
>> The Client Lease Time is the amount of time a network user
>> will be allowed connection to the Router with their current
>> dynamic IP address. Enter the amount of time, in minutes,
>> that the user will be “leased” this dynamic IP address.
>> After the time is up, the user will be automatically
>> assigned a new dynamic IP address. The default is 0 minutes,
>> which means one day.

> Thanks.
>
> What happens when the lease time is up if the laptop is still connectedto the network?
> Mine is on 24/7.
>
> Does it start a negotiation on a new address, or just hang? Windows XPHome.

It just gets a new one. Mine is on 24/7 for months at a time.

Client Lease Time? LINKSYS Router Ron Hardin Dell 11 08-29-2007 12:59 AM
DELL - "Off Lease" Servers Available electrorent Dell 1 03-29-2005 10:06 AM
Re: WTS Off Lease HP printers & computer equipment mgilbertson@gmail.com HP 0 02-13-2005 11:56 PM
Lease?! Champagne Charlie Dell 13 03-01-2004 07:29 AM
Suggestions, puh-lease! M AMD Overclocking 2 10-19-2003 01:31 PM