Re: Compaq Presario V5306US and memory speed

Ben Myers

Processor clock speed and motherboard design govern the actual speed at which
memory operates, not the memory speed itself. And, of course, the memory speed
needs to meet the minimum speed required by the motherboard specifications. I
really doubt that there is any way for you to increase the speed... Ben Myers

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:35:23 -0800, "Sept1967" <sept1967@peoplepc.(Erase)com>
wrote:

>On the following laptop, is there any way (or does it even support) running
>PC3200 memory at PC3200 speed? I have 2x 1GB PC3200 SODIMMS (confirmed by
>CPUZ). But it runs at PC2700/DDR333. Even with a single 1GB stick, its at
>DDR333.
>

>Compaq Presario V5306US
>ATI XPress 200m
>Turion ML-32
>
>Latest BIOS Release Date: 2007-03-05 Version: F.54

Ben Myers

Laptop and desktop capabilities are not directly comparable. Laptops are very
much more closed-end systems, with extremely limited possibilities for improving
CPU and memory performance. The HP web site says PC2700 memory, so that's what
it is.

You can do your own research on the motherboard chipset to find out whether it
supports faster memory in combination with a CPU with a faster front side bus.
If it does, then you have the possibility of installing a faster CPU with PC3200
memory. Frankly, CPU upgrades of laptops are not to be taken lightly.

You can also find out if HP makes/made similar models with different CPUs and/or
memory.

HP's technical information on the Presario V5306US is a little sparse, to state
it kindly. The HP web site does not say what the motherboard chipset is, nor
does it give a clue about "families" of laptop computers sharing the same
motherboard... Ben Myers

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 19:06:42 -0800, "Sept1967" <sept1967@peoplepc.(Erase)com>
wrote:

>So,
>
>ATI Xpress200m chipset, and AMD Turion ML-32 (socket 754) cant run at
>PC3200?
>
>There are no memory settings to change in the BIOS. I know its not dual
>channel. But I expected that the hardwre was made long after PC3200 was
>standard, it could run at full speed.
>My old Athlon64 3800 runs PC3200 (AMD has the memory controller on the
>chip, not the motherboard)
>

>"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Processor clock speed and motherboard design govern the actual speed at
>> which
>> memory operates, not the memory speed itself. And, of course, the memory
>> speed
>> needs to meet the minimum speed required by the motherboard
>> specifications. I
>> really doubt that there is any way for you to increase the speed... Ben
>> Myers
>>
>> On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:35:23 -0800, "Sept1967"
>> <sept1967@peoplepc.(Erase)com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>On the following laptop, is there any way (or does it even support)
>>>running
>>>PC3200 memory at PC3200 speed? I have 2x 1GB PC3200 SODIMMS (confirmed by
>>>CPUZ). But it runs at PC2700/DDR333. Even with a single 1GB stick, its at
>>>DDR333.
>>>

>>>Compaq Presario V5306US
>>>ATI XPress 200m
>>>Turion ML-32
>>>
>>>Latest BIOS Release Date: 2007-03-05 Version: F.54

Ben Myers

FWIW, I found the following apparently similar models of Presario V5300-series
laptops on the HP web site. Note that their memory configurations are
different, indicating different models of motherboards:

Compaq Presario V5300 CTO Notebook PC - NO DETAILED TECHNICAL INFO
Compaq Presario V5303NR Notebook PC - AMD 1.6GHz Turion, PC2700 DDR memory
Compaq Presario V5304US Notebook PC - 2GHz Mobile AMD Sempron, PC2700 DDR
Compaq Presario V5305WM Notebook PC - - 2GHz Mobile AMD Sempron, PC2700 DDR
Compaq Presario V5306US Notebook PC - AMD 1.6GHz Turion, PC2700 DDR memory
Compaq Presario V5307US Notebook PC - 1.86 GHz Intel® Centrino, DDR2 memory
(speed unspecified)
Compaq Presario V5308CA Notebook PC - 2GHz Mobile AMD Sempron, PC2700 DDR
Compaq Presario V5310US Notebook PC - 2.2GHz Mobile AMD Sempron, PC2700 DDR
Compaq Presario V5315WM Notebook PC - 1.8GHz Mobile AMD Sempron, PC2700 DDR

Other than the Intel Centrino thrown into the mix, these are all AMD CPU systems
with PC2700 memory. Also, apparently the V5300-series models refer to a shared
common chassis and other parts with different motherboards. I don't know how
HPaq can keep all this straight... Ben Myers

wrote:

>So,
>
>ATI Xpress200m chipset, and AMD Turion ML-32 (socket 754) cant run at
>PC3200?
>
>There are no memory settings to change in the BIOS. I know its not dual
>channel. But I expected that the hardwre was made long after PC3200 was
>standard, it could run at full speed.
>My old Athlon64 3800 runs PC3200 (AMD has the memory controller on the
>chip, not the motherboard)
>

>"Ben Myers" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Processor clock speed and motherboard design govern the actual speed at
>> which
>> memory operates, not the memory speed itself. And, of course, the memory
>> speed
>> needs to meet the minimum speed required by the motherboard
>> specifications. I
>> really doubt that there is any way for you to increase the speed... Ben
>> Myers
>>
>> On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:35:23 -0800, "Sept1967"
>> <sept1967@peoplepc.(Erase)com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>On the following laptop, is there any way (or does it even support)
>>>running
>>>PC3200 memory at PC3200 speed? I have 2x 1GB PC3200 SODIMMS (confirmed by
>>>CPUZ). But it runs at PC2700/DDR333. Even with a single 1GB stick, its at
>>>DDR333.
>>>

>>>Compaq Presario V5306US
>>>ATI XPress 200m
>>>Turion ML-32
>>>
>>>Latest BIOS Release Date: 2007-03-05 Version: F.54

Ben Myers

Or possibly a design limitation in the motherboard itself... Ben Myers