Re: Compaq W8000 With 4GB Showing 3440 MB

Robert Miles

"Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>I installed eight 512MB RDIMMs (using authorized Compaq part numbers for
>the
> memory) onto a Compaq W8000 workstation. At bootup the computer BIOS
> is
> reporting only 3440 MB present.
>
> Is this a limitation of a particular BIOS release? Is it corrected by a
> later upgrade?
>
> Or would this indicate a problem with the memory?
>
> --
> Will

It's probably a problem with your operating system. The 32-bit operating
systems most current machines use can't use a full 4 GB and still be able
to handle input and output. However, I think I've read that some of the
Vista updates (probably 32-bit versions of Vista SP1) will show the full 4
GB as present, even though it's unable to use all of it. 64-bit versions of
these operating systems don't have this restriction, and can go well beyond
4 GB if your machine supports it, but are sometimes unable to use software
written specifically for 32-bit machines. For example 32-bit drivers seldom
work under a 64-bit version, and many companies which provided older
hardware don't intend to provide 64-bit versions of the drivers for their
older hardware.

If a machine uses 32-bit addresses, and devotes some of its address space
to handling input and output, as Windows machines do, it's unable to have
enough 32-bit addresses left to reach all of 4 GB.

Robert Miles

"Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Robert Miles" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:1UNTk.65979$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>>
>> "Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> >I installed eight 512MB RDIMMs (using authorized Compaq part numbers for
>> >the
>> > memory) onto a Compaq W8000 workstation. At bootup the computer
>> > BIOS
>> > is
>> > reporting only 3440 MB present.
>> >
>> > Is this a limitation of a particular BIOS release? Is it corrected by

>> > later upgrade?
>> >
>> > Or would this indicate a problem with the memory?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Will
>> >

>> It's probably a problem with your operating system. The 32-bit operating
>> systems most current machines use can't use a full 4 GB and still be able
>> to handle input and output. However, I think I've read that some of the
>> Vista updates (probably 32-bit versions of Vista SP1) will show the full
>> 4
>> GB as present, even though it's unable to use all of it. 64-bit versions

> of
>> these operating systems don't have this restriction, and can go well

> beyond
>> 4 GB if your machine supports it, but are sometimes unable to use
>> software
>> written specifically for 32-bit machines. For example 32-bit drivers

> seldom
>> work under a 64-bit version, and many companies which provided older
>> hardware don't intend to provide 64-bit versions of the drivers for their
>> older hardware.
>>
>> If a machine uses 32-bit addresses, and devotes some of its address space
>> to handling input and output, as Windows machines do, it's unable to have
>> enough 32-bit addresses left to reach all of 4 GB.

> As I originally posted, it is the W8000 BIOS that is reporting 3440MB.
> So
> before the computer OS ever starts to load, the computer is reporting 3440
> MB not 4GB
>
> --
> Will

Which is likely to mean that the BIOS knows how much of the memory
space is reserved for things such as the video card and the BIOS itself,
and therefore avoids reporting it. You may want to check if your BIOS
has an option to assume a 64-bit operating system instead, and therefore
report the amount of memory reachable using 64-bit addresses.

- Bobb -

"Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

<snipped>

>> As I originally posted, it is the W8000 BIOS that is reporting 3440MB. So
>> before the computer OS ever starts to load, the computer is reporting
>> 3440 MB not 4GB

=====
I agree. A little history of PC :
Did it EVER work - with all of the modules?
.... It worked fine ( with xgb) until NOW you are you adding 4gb , etc

Maybe one is bad ? All same speed ?
http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/d.../c00704816.pdf
page 2-1 ( pg 45 of pdf) = memory troubleshooting.

No BIOS update since 2004:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...&swEnvOID=1093
neither update had to do with mem size. but compare versions to yours:
"Adds new F10 Setup feature to enable/disable legacy port resources (i.e.
COM1, COM2, LPT) when setup password is set."

Rotate pairs and build up - does physical module make a difference ? etc
http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/d.../c01132922.pdf
Pg 4-9 and up - 800mhz modules, inserted correctly etc ?

Here's the main page for W8000 support
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...iesId=322279#5

have hp website probe your PC:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...eriesId=322279

Good Luck

Benjamin Gawert

* Robert Miles:

> For example 32-bit drivers seldom work under a 64-bit version

To be precise, *no* 32bit drivers work with 64bit Windows.

Benjamin

Benjamin Gawert

* Robert Miles:

> You may want to check if your BIOS
> has an option to assume a 64-bit operating system instead, and therefore
> report the amount of memory reachable using 64-bit addresses.

Hardly possible since the W8000 is a old 32bit machine.

Benjamin