Re: Computer Retail Sales And MOs Tax Free Weekend

Colin Wilson

> One would think the stores would try to double up and have the
> sales (at a low mark down perhaps) over that weekend so their
> customers get more for their dollar without having to actually
> cut into the companies profits. Obviously not the way corporate
> sees it. She went to all of the big box discount and electronics
> stores in the area.

More sales (at a lower profit) = more potential hassle with broken kit

So, with your corporate hat on, do you;

a) make the same profit with less exposure to warranty issues
b) make the same profit with more exposure to warranty issues*

*while incurring more shipping costs, quite possibly taking the profit
margin down further again

Ben Myers

Colin Wilson wrote:
>> One would think the stores would try to double up and have the
>> sales (at a low mark down perhaps) over that weekend so their
>> customers get more for their dollar without having to actually
>> cut into the companies profits. Obviously not the way corporate
>> sees it. She went to all of the big box discount and electronics
>> stores in the area.

> More sales (at a lower profit) = more potential hassle with broken kit
>
> So, with your corporate hat on, do you;
>
> a) make the same profit with less exposure to warranty issues
> b) make the same profit with more exposure to warranty issues*
>
> *while incurring more shipping costs, quite possibly taking the profit
> margin down further again

How about?

c) manufacture a high quality product... Ben Myers

Colin Wilson

> How about?
> c) manufacture a high quality product... Ben Myers

Even NASA gives the work to the lowest bidder...

Ben Myers

Colin Wilson wrote:
>> How about?
>> c) manufacture a high quality product... Ben Myers

> Even NASA gives the work to the lowest bidder...

Well, sure. And NASA has some pretty rigorous quality standards, plus
criteria which MUST be met by the winning bidder. Your point is???

My point is that computer manufacturers and manufacturers of other goods
keep throwing crap over the wall on an unsuspecting public, who then
complain about the garbage they have bought while using price and the
only criterion for making a purchase. You get what you pay for.

.... Ben Myers