Re: Cooling New Thin Laptop AC Power Supplies

Monica

<lol> More commonly known as "cooling racks" but "cookie cooler" works for
me
I've been a laptop owner for less than two weeks and had forgotten about
cooling pads
till someone asked if I had one. This is the one I plan on getting unless
someone can tell me
why I shouldn't.
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cooli...3431183&sr=1-3
How bad are these on laptop batteries? My N5010 doesn't seem to get too
warm, but, I don't know
how warm is "too warm".
Monica

"Timothy Daniels" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) m...
> "BillW50" wrote:
>> Timothy Daniels:
>>> I use a cookie cooler to suspend my laptop
>>> 1/4" above the desktop to give the cooling fan an
>>> unrestricted air intake. I bought my cookie cooler
>>> (a wire grid with 1/4" legs) at Bed Bath & Beyond
>>> for about $6 plus tax. There are 2 sizes - the small
>>> size that I bought - which is just right for 13" to 15"
>>> laptops - and a larger size which would be right for
>>> "desktop replacements".

>> Slick idea Tim. I also noticed when you raise the laptop
>> off of the desk like you are doing, generally lowers the
>> temp by 10F too. Also it cuts down dust clogging the
>> fan tremendously. ;-)

> It is a *cool* idea! :-) But its wasn't my idea
> originally. Someone in this or another NG wrote
> simply: "I use a cookie cooler!", and I had no idea
> that there was such a thing or how it was constructed.
> But lo and behold, a call to a household goods store
> revealed that they exist as a common baking utensil
> that allows cookies to cool down after baking so that
> they won't stick to things or bend into weird shapes
> before they firm up. I suspect that most bakers would
> line it with a layer of aluminum foil before placing the
> freshly baked cookies on it. The one from Bed Bath
> & Beyond is painted black and it just seems visually
> designed for my laptop PC.
>
> *TimDaniels*

BillW50

In newsIWRo.18623$(E-Mail Removed),
Monica typed on Mon, 27 Dec 2010 00:49:35 -0600:
> <lol> More commonly known as "cooling racks" but "cookie cooler"
> works for me
> I've been a laptop owner for less than two weeks and had forgotten
> about cooling pads
> till someone asked if I had one. This is the one I plan on getting
> unless someone can tell me
> why I shouldn't.
> http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cooli...3431183&sr=1-3
> How bad are these on laptop batteries? My N5010 doesn't seem to get
> too warm, but, I don't know
> how warm is "too warm".
> Monica

Hi Monica! Well max power per USB2 port is 2.5 watts. I believe some use
one port and some use two. So that would be 2.5 to 5 watts of power. And
from a battery, that could cut down a battery normally lasting 2 hours,
down to about an hour and a half.

One of the things that strikes me odd about those cooling pads, as they
usually pull air down from the top. Yet many laptops generally pull air
from the bottom. So when you use them together, the fans are fighting
against each other. And that isn't very good. Yeah it works, but the
fans are working harder than they should be.

You know how many keyboards have folding legs in the back to raise the
keyboard up at an angle? Well I am always puzzled why they don't do the
very same for laptops? And I made my own legs to do this with my
laptops. And just this alone lowers the outside bottom temperature of
the laptop by 10F. And lowers the CPU temperature by 15F. Which is
about what you get from one of those cooling pads anyway.

So in my experience, getting the laptop off of the surface is the most
important cooling effect that you can do. And I think legs is the
simplest and very portable. But a cooling rack would be my next choice.
And my last would be a cooling pad. Just my 2 worth.

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

BillW50

In news:ifa3lq$bkf$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org,
BillW50 typed on Mon, 27 Dec 2010 07:17:35 -0600:
[...]
> So in my experience, getting the laptop off of the surface is the most
> important cooling effect that you can do. And I think legs is the
> simplest and very portable. But a cooling rack would be my next
> choice. And my last would be a cooling pad. Just my 2 worth.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention another benefit with the legs. As some
people likes to set their laptop down on a bed, cushion, pillow, or
whatever. This of course almost always blocks the air flow and many
laptops have overheated in this way. But I have found if the legs in the
back are generally 2 or more inches, the laptops won't overheat (and
stays cool) and still has plenty of air flow underneath them. ;-)

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

Monica

Bill, I called Logitech about their N100 Cooling Pad and asked how much
power it pulls from the laptop's battery. It uses one usb port. Not sure
if I worded the question right or even if I got the right answer but he said
"5 volts, 200mAs". Does that make sense or tell you anything about how much
it drains the laptop's battery?
Also this pad has a rear air intake so as not to be confined when sitting on
one's lap or laying on a bed or even sitting on a hard surface. The
concaved top allows for air circulation underneath the laptop and the slots
on the top of cooling pad help push cool air towards the bottom of the
laptop and away while fresh air is pulled from the rear of the pad.
http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/...rrent=pad2.jpg
http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/...rrent=pad1.jpg
http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/...rrent=pad3.jpg
Several people report not being able to hear the cooling pad, it's that
quiet.
So, after looking at these pictures and reading this message, does it help
change your mind about it at all or do you still feel it won't be as
effective as it needs to be?
Thanks,
Monica

>> http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cooli...3431183&sr=1-3
>> How bad are these on laptop batteries? My N5010 doesn't seem to get
>> too warm, but, I don't know
>> how warm is "too warm".
>> Monica

> Hi Monica! Well max power per USB2 port is 2.5 watts. I believe some use
> one port and some use two. So that would be 2.5 to 5 watts of power. And
> from a battery, that could cut down a battery normally lasting 2 hours,
> down to about an hour and a half.
>
> One of the things that strikes me odd about those cooling pads, as they
> usually pull air down from the top. Yet many laptops generally pull air
> from the bottom. So when you use them together, the fans are fighting
> against each other. And that isn't very good. Yeah it works, but the fans
> are working harder than they should be.
>
> You know how many keyboards have folding legs in the back to raise the
> keyboard up at an angle? Well I am always puzzled why they don't do the
> very same for laptops? And I made my own legs to do this with my laptops.
> And just this alone lowers the outside bottom temperature of the laptop by
> 10F. And lowers the CPU temperature by 15F. Which is about what you get
> from one of those cooling pads anyway.
>
> So in my experience, getting the laptop off of the surface is the most
> important cooling effect that you can do. And I think legs is the simplest
> and very portable. But a cooling rack would be my next choice. And my last
> would be a cooling pad. Just my 2 worth.
>
> --
> Bill
> Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

Monica

Found some specs:
Power consumption: Max: 5V @ 200mA
Fan noise level: 27db
"Monica" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:JP7To.23555$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bill, I called Logitech about their N100 Cooling Pad and asked how much
> power it pulls from the laptop's battery. It uses one usb port. Not sure
> if I worded the question right or even if I got the right answer but he
> said "5 volts, 200mAs". Does that make sense or tell you anything about
> how much it drains the laptop's battery?
> Also this pad has a rear air intake so as not to be confined when sitting
> on one's lap or laying on a bed or even sitting on a hard surface. The
> concaved top allows for air circulation underneath the laptop and the
> slots on the top of cooling pad help push cool air towards the bottom of
> the laptop and away while fresh air is pulled from the rear of the pad.
> http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/...rrent=pad2.jpg
> http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/...rrent=pad1.jpg
> http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/...rrent=pad3.jpg
> Several people report not being able to hear the cooling pad, it's that
> quiet.
> So, after looking at these pictures and reading this message, does it help
> change your mind about it at all or do you still feel it won't be as
> effective as it needs to be?
> Thanks,
> Monica
>

>>> http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cooli...3431183&sr=1-3
>>> How bad are these on laptop batteries? My N5010 doesn't seem to get
>>> too warm, but, I don't know
>>> how warm is "too warm".
>>> Monica

>> Hi Monica! Well max power per USB2 port is 2.5 watts. I believe some use
>> one port and some use two. So that would be 2.5 to 5 watts of power. And
>> from a battery, that could cut down a battery normally lasting 2 hours,
>> down to about an hour and a half.
>>
>> One of the things that strikes me odd about those cooling pads, as they
>> usually pull air down from the top. Yet many laptops generally pull air
>> from the bottom. So when you use them together, the fans are fighting
>> against each other. And that isn't very good. Yeah it works, but the fans
>> are working harder than they should be.
>>
>> You know how many keyboards have folding legs in the back to raise the
>> keyboard up at an angle? Well I am always puzzled why they don't do the
>> very same for laptops? And I made my own legs to do this with my laptops.
>> And just this alone lowers the outside bottom temperature of the laptop
>> by 10F. And lowers the CPU temperature by 15F. Which is about what you
>> get from one of those cooling pads anyway.
>>
>> So in my experience, getting the laptop off of the surface is the most
>> important cooling effect that you can do. And I think legs is the
>> simplest and very portable. But a cooling rack would be my next choice.
>> And my last would be a cooling pad. Just my 2 worth.
>>
>> --
>> Bill
>> Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

BillW50

In news:JP7To.23555$(E-Mail Removed),
Monica typed on Thu, 30 Dec 2010 16:36:03 -0600:
> Bill, I called Logitech about their N100 Cooling Pad and asked how
> much power it pulls from the laptop's battery. It uses one usb port.
> Not sure if I worded the question right or even if I got the right
> answer but he said "5 volts, 200mAs". Does that make sense or tell
> you anything about how much it drains the laptop's battery?
> Also this pad has a rear air intake so as not to be confined when
> sitting on one's lap or laying on a bed or even sitting on a hard
> surface. The concaved top allows for air circulation underneath the
> laptop and the slots on the top of cooling pad help push cool air
> towards the bottom of the laptop and away while fresh air is pulled
> from the rear of the pad.
> http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/...rrent=pad2.jpg
> http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/...rrent=pad1.jpg
> http://s1133.photobucket.com/albums/...rrent=pad3.jpg
> Several people report not being able to hear the cooling pad, it's
> that quiet. So, after looking at these pictures and reading this
> message, does it
> help change your mind about it at all or do you still feel it won't
> be as effective as it needs to be?
> Thanks,
> Monica

Hi Monica! I think you are pretty safe if you want to go that route. Yes
it should do the job and 200ma isn't that bad. And if you are happy with
it, so am I. ;-)

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Centrino Duo 1.83G - 2GB - Windows XP SP3

Monica

You sound like my husband Ordered it tonight. I'll let you know how it
feels, if the laptop stays in one place (doesn't slide) and if it keeps the
laptop fan from coming on.
Monica
"BillW50" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:ifjdbr$th1$(E-Mail Removed)-september.org...
And if you are happy with
> it, so am I. ;-)

Re: Cooling New Thin Laptop AC Power Supplies Ben Myers Dell 0 12-21-2010 02:48 PM
Laptop AC power supplies Jim Laptops 7 08-15-2005 12:02 PM
Thin Power Supply Fan?? chuck PC Hardware 12 06-24-2005 09:48 AM
Power Supplies - Can anyone offer a quality opinion on Ultra Power Supplies please? - TIA Pete AMD Overclocking 9 02-02-2004 09:22 AM
13 peices DELL laptop, DVD, CDROM, Power Supplies, ETC.... jgwhite Laptops 0 11-11-2003 06:02 PM